what exactly is the one year rotating internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComicBookHero20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
like how does it differ from the rotations in the last year of med school?

Members don't see this ad.

ComicBookHero20 said:

hello?

I think you will get more of a response in the osteopathic forum & clinical rotations forum in STUDENT FORUMS, not the PRE-Osteo forums in PREMEDICAL FORUMS which this post is under...

hope you get your answers...take care

Members don't see this ad :)
The one year rotating internship is called the Traditional Rotating Internship because a long time ago in a galaxy far far away graduating DOs would do this internship for their post-graduate training. In many cases this was all the post-graduate training they would do. Eventually DOs started going into allopathic residencies (MD residencies). In some cases DOs would do the traditional rotating internship, THEN enter into a MD residency that was a few years long. For example, I know a pediatrician that teaches at our school who did the Traditional Rotating Internship, then did a MD pediatrics residency...and yes it was three more years and he had to basically be an intern again.

It is designed I guess to give you a broad based exposure to different specialties of medicine/surgery. Most include three months or so of Internal Medicine, 1-2 months of Ob/Gyn, 1 month of ER, 2-3 months of Surgery, and 1-2 months of Pediatrics. The rest of the year is vacation or electives.

Many graduating DOs go straight into a residency, especially if it is an allopathic residency that includes an internship, let say for instance Internal Medicine. There is really no reason to do a separate Traditional Rotating Internship with the experience in Peds, Ob/Gyn, and Surgery that you won't really need.

Many MD residencies are "Advanced" positions, in that they start with Post Graduate Year 2 (PGY-2), and do not include an internship year. There are minor exceptions but this is mainly true with specialties such as Radiology, Anesthesiology, Dermatology, PM&R, Ophthomology, etc.

So if you are a DO and are going to do an advanced residency such as these, you can do your internship in a Traditional Rotating Internship. You don't necessarily have to though, and you can do what MD interns do before going on for advanced training, and the options are a Transitional Year, Prelim Medicine, or Prelim Surgery year.

The Transitional Year is most closely related to the DO Traditional Rotating Internship because you usually spend a month or two rotating through each discipline. A prelim Medicine year usually includes 7-8 months of Internal Medicine so you spend most of your time taking care of "medicine" patients on the wards...and vice versa if you do a prelim Surgery year.

A main reason that DOs even do the Traditional Rotating Internship is to either ensure that they can be licensed in one of the 5 states that requires the Traditional Year, or if they eventually want to get into DO education and be a DME(Director of Medical Education)...i.e. dean of an osteopathic college or program director at a DO residency/internship. The 5 states that require a DO internship are Florida, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.

You can, if you have "exceptional circumstances", do an ACGME internship(MD internship), and get it approved by the AOA to count as a DO internship. Usually these are Transitional Internships because they are at least similar.

The Traditional Rotating Internship is more similar to the third year of medical school because you rotate through each discipline again but now you are an intern which basically means more work, and your signature actually counts on orders, etc. The last year of medical school is usually a few required rotations and then electives related to the specialty that you are considering for residency.

A list of Traditional Rotating Internships is available in the Opportunities section of DO-online.org

A list of the different MD internships can be found on FREIDA...google it.

Side note: I am going into radiology at a MD Institution in California. But I am doing my internship at an MD Transitional Year and will try to get it approved by the AOA since there are no Radiology residencies in California. There is another DO in my class who is also doing an MD residency in Emergency Medicine but doesn't care about getting his MD internship approved by the AOA. It all depends on what you want to do and what your goals are. I am going to jump through the paperwork hoops to get the internship approved by the AOA, but it is not detrimental to my career.

Reactions: 1 user
ComicBookHero20 said:
like how does it differ from the rotations in the last year of med school?

It is a PGY-1 year, not unlike most other first years of residency, other than the fact that you change departments much more often.

Vince said:
The one year rotating internship is called the Traditional Rotating Internship because a long time ago in a galaxy far far away graduating DOs would do this internship for their post-graduate training. In many cases this was all the post-graduate training they would do. Eventually DOs started going into allopathic residencies (MD residencies). In some cases DOs would do the traditional rotating internship, THEN enter into a MD residency that was a few years long. For example, I know a pediatrician that teaches at our school who did the Traditional Rotating Internship, then did a MD pediatrics residency...and yes it was three more years and he had to basically be an intern again.

It is designed I guess to give you a broad based exposure to different specialties of medicine/surgery. Most include three months or so of Internal Medicine, 1-2 months of Ob/Gyn, 1 month of ER, 2-3 months of Surgery, and 1-2 months of Pediatrics. The rest of the year is vacation or electives.

Many graduating DOs go straight into a residency, especially if it is an allopathic residency that includes an internship, let say for instance Internal Medicine. There is really no reason to do a separate Traditional Rotating Internship with the experience in Peds, Ob/Gyn, and Surgery that you won't really need.

Many MD residencies are "Advanced" positions, in that they start with Post Graduate Year 2 (PGY-2), and do not include an internship year. There are minor exceptions but this is mainly true with specialties such as Radiology, Anesthesiology, Dermatology, PM&R, Ophthomology, etc.

So if you are a DO and are going to do an advanced residency such as these, you can do your internship in a Traditional Rotating Internship. You don't necessarily have to though, and you can do what MD interns do before going on for advanced training, and the options are a Transitional Year, Prelim Medicine, or Prelim Surgery year.

The Transitional Year is most closely related to the DO Traditional Rotating Internship because you usually spend a month or two rotating through each discipline. A prelim Medicine year usually includes 7-8 months of Internal Medicine so you spend most of your time taking care of "medicine" patients on the wards...and vice versa if you do a prelim Surgery year.

A main reason that DOs even do the Traditional Rotating Internship is to either ensure that they can be licensed in one of the 5 states that requires the Traditional Year, or if they eventually want to get into DO education and be a DME(Director of Medical Education)...i.e. dean of an osteopathic college or program director at a DO residency/internship. The 5 states that require a DO internship are Florida, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.

You can, if you have "exceptional circumstances", do an ACGME internship(MD internship), and get it approved by the AOA to count as a DO internship. Usually these are Transitional Internships because they are at least similar.

The Traditional Rotating Internship is more similar to the third year of medical school because you rotate through each discipline again but now you are an intern which basically means more work, and your signature actually counts on orders, etc. The last year of medical school is usually a few required rotations and then electives related to the specialty that you are considering for residency.

A list of Traditional Rotating Internships is available in the Opportunities section of DO-online.org

A list of the different MD internships can be found on FREIDA...google it.

Side note: I am going into radiology at a MD Institution in California. But I am doing my internship at an MD Transitional Year and will try to get it approved by the AOA since there are no Radiology residencies in California. There is another DO in my class who is also doing an MD residency in Emergency Medicine but doesn't care about getting his MD internship approved by the AOA. It all depends on what you want to do and what your goals are. I am going to jump through the paperwork hoops to get the internship approved by the AOA, but it is not detrimental to my career.

Wow radiology in Socal. What place? Where did you go to school?

that was a great explanation, thanks