what field gives me the least amount of verbal interaction with patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also disagreed with anaesthesiology being on that list. A compassionate and reassuring anaesthetist can make a world of difference for nervous surgical patients. Also you have to interact with surgeons and nurses all day.
We're not all that bad.*

*we are

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We're not all that bad.*

*we are

One of my chiefs consented pts for lap choles by describing it as "operating with lasers".

Never got to see anesthesia's face when a patient asked about their laser surgery

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools have students mingle among applicants and specifically tell them to look at what applicants are doing between interviews. "Make sure to note which are rocking back and forth in the corner."

Polite small talk is not 'required', but I think that if opportunity arises that it is preferable to playing candy crush on your phone.
What?! Now they're spying on us too? Guess I'll be aware of anyone staring at me while writing in a lil notebook. lmbo

MD/Ph.D
Hell, even the people in your lab won't talk to you unless it's critically necessary. Or your PI tells you to collaborate.

I'd like to give a quick update. Ever since I've made a concerted effort to show my empathy I feel like I've gotten much better feedback. I've also begun to use little hints of inflection in my voice when greeting customers, and have even been bold enough to try to strike up a quick 1-2 minute conversation with almost each customer.

I do have one question though. Since each customer is only there for about 2-3 minutes (as long as no complications arise), I feel stupid trying to start a conversation when I know they'll be leaving very abruptly. How do I mitigate this feeling? Is this where the term "small talk" is actually literal?

Reactions: 3 users
I'd like to give a quick update. Ever since I've made a concerted effort to show my empathy I feel like I've gotten much better feedback. I've also begun to use little hints of inflection in my voice when greeting customers, and have even been bold enough to try to strike up a quick 1-2 minute conversation with almost each customer.

I do have one question though. Since each customer is only there for about 2-3 minutes (as long as no complications arise), I feel stupid trying to start a conversation when I know they'll be leaving very abruptly. How do I mitigate this feeling? Is this where the term "small talk" is actually literal?
You sound like Commander Data... I mean, that's cool because Data is the best character in Star Trek, but there problem is, you're sharing some of his character flaws, in a way.

How do you like to be treated by staff when briefly entering an establishment to run errands? Do you like it when an employee engages in small talk and does it make your experience there any better? You say you're getting better feedback, but are the people who are leaving abruptly among those who offer it? If not, perhaps let them be on their way with polite smile.

For me, if I'm trying to get out of wherever, I'm not necessarily interested in small talk. I'd rather get in and get out without being poked at by someone who is trying too hard to act like a human lol. But I'm rather introverted, so my perspective is slanted accordingly.

Reactions: 1 user

It worries me that you're talking about deliberately, consciously adding "little hints" of inflection to your voice. What were you doing before? Do you naturally speak in a total monotone? It might be better to smile when you greet people and let that change the tone of your voice. It also works for phone conversations. People can hear the smile.

And yeah, small talk is just making small comments to people. You don't really need to do it except in situations where you would be standing in awkward silence with someone if you didn't talk to them. Like the other day, I was waiting for a lady to sign some paperwork and I noticed she had bright orange nail polish on, so I said "I love your nail polish" and somehow that triggered her telling me all about her recent vacation to North Carolina. When you can't find something to talk about, the weather is always there. Recently, I have said "It's so humid today!" to more people than I can count.

That's great, keep it up. :) The more you talk to people, the more you may notice their "inflections" and use them.

I'm going to be totally direct here. Do you have people with good social skills you hang around a lot, like friends or family? You'll probably pick up on inflection, and a lot of other things like eye contact, if you look for these things when you talk to them.