what field gives me the least amount of verbal interaction with patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This was very helpful. As for RBF, LOL; that made my day. All this has also made me realize that I quickly become unbecoming and "mean" whenever I'm accosted or unsure about something (relaying a message from manager to customer without fully having 100% knowledge about the topic). This is definitely something I need to work on. I like to think that I'm one of those people who may seem unfriendly, but once I really get to know you, I'm there for you forever. However, this isn't how the medical field works, so how can I accomplish this in a much shorter span of time? I realize this is an abstract, unpractical question, but maybe someone has had prior experiences?

Whenever I'm spoken to, I give 100% of myself, and that's something I take pride of. However, just today, I had someone who barely knew me tell me that I "just look mean". WTH am I supposed to do with that? Will every interaction I have involve an uphill battle of me proving that I'm someone who can be friendly?

If you are really deadset on medicine, I know quite a few surgeons and anesthesiologists who... how to be polite here... don't have the best bedside manner, shall we say. You can do it, and make it work in most any specialty, if you want it bad enough. You can learn to moderate your facial expressions and tones. Social skills are learnable. I just think it is a very difficult road to go down, especially as the trend in medicine is ever more toward customer service.

One of the signs that medicine may indeed be for you is if you can't be discouraged from pursuing it, no matter what people say. I hope you find only success in whatever you may choose to do, and given your attitude here, I have faith that you will.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are really deadset on medicine, I know quite a few surgeons and anesthesiologists who... how to be polite here... don't have the best bedside manner, shall we say. You can do it, and make it work in most any specialty, if you want it bad enough. You can learn to moderate your facial expressions and tones. Social skills are learnable. I just think it is a very difficult road to go down, especially as the trend in medicine is ever more toward customer service.

One of the signs that medicine may indeed be for you is if you can't be discouraged from pursuing it, no matter what people say. I hope you find only success in whatever you may choose to do, and given your attitude here, I have faith that you will.

Yea, OP seems like a nice person who just needs immerse themselves in more uncomfortable settings.

Reactions: 2 users
Assembly line in a factory.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd need a really elaborate study dealing with objective, average communication rankings for a physicians cross referenced with rate of malpractice claims against said physicians before i'd really care. Moreover, i'd need a really developed and standardized definition of communication which could be agreed upon by all and measured in an objective way. Until you've got at least standardized units for communication skills, its all just garbage rhetoric.

I would bet a LARGE sum of money almost all of those aren't because the physician was incapable of communication he information, but chose not to out of apathy. It doesn't take Taylor Swift to communicate basic ideas to a patient. 99% of applicants likely could.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9032162 is a correlational study that used an established doctor-patient communication analysis tool (your objective measures) to show poorer quality doctor-patient communication with PCPs who had previously been sued. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8002688 is the study from which I made my original statement. With regard to communicating with patients being easy, I'm sure you've developed that opinion based on your extensive premedical clinical experience. Communicating effectively with patients is a high level skill, and it becomes progressively harder the further along you are in medicine and the medical knowledge gap between yourself and a "lay person" widens. Regardless, your claim was that communication doesn't matter, as evidenced by your example, not that communication is poor

What attracts you to medicine? If you don't like the human interaction, do you still like helping people?
Here's the way I see it: I love helping people, but other people don't like to be helped by me.

For example, just yesterday I'm trying to explain something to a rude customer, and he continues to get agitated no matter what I say. As soon as someone else steps in, he calms down and says "take your time." I had only stated facts to him and nothing else (admittedly, I am a cashier, and she was the pharmacist), but still. Why, why, why aren't I able to interact with a customer like that? All ambiguous questions with no real answers without direct contact with me, but expressing these thoughts on here seem to be helping me realize what exactly I need to fix.

Also, you've been of tremendous help!

"RESULTS: Significant differences in communication behaviors of no-claims and claims physicians were identified in primary care physicians but not in surgeons."

First
Line

Here's the way I see it: I love helping people, but other people don't like to be helped by me.

For example, just yesterday I'm trying to explain something to a rude customer, and he continues to get agitated no matter what I say. As soon as someone else steps in, he calms down and says "take your time." I had only stated facts to him and nothing else (admittedly, I am a cashier, and she was the pharmacist), but still. Why, why, why aren't I able to interact with a customer like that? All ambiguous questions with no real answers without direct contact with me, but expressing these thoughts on here seem to be helping me realize what exactly I need to fix.

There is a significant difference between not enjoying interacting with patients and not being good at it (though the latter may lead to the former). Communication can be improved, even for Asperger's (not saying that's what you have, just making a point). It seems you might have some objective difficulty communicating effectively, per the reports youve received from others. It may be looking into ways to improve your communication

RBF.jpg

I specifically said PCPs. The other study was not specialty specific. If you want a surgeon-specific study, here http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0039606002000223

I'll read through this too, but from what I'm seeing on that other one, it's findings are just as valid pertaining to surgeons. Its not as if the fact that it wasn't surgeon-specific means that its findings regarding surgeons is necessarily invalid.

As it stands, that study's result explicitly suggests, in the first line no less, that the communication behavior of surgeons does not correlate with malpractice suits.

I specifically said PCPs. The other study was not specialty specific. If you want a surgeon-specific study, here http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0039606002000223

I'm reading about RIAS and now and it seems pretty thorough. I can't help but believe it, as a method of communication analysis, seems better than the methodology used in this article. When people mentioning physician's quality of communication with patients, I can't help but think the "intuitive analysis" they're using lines up more with RIAS's objective standards. I mean, the second article is literally just rating the tone of voice and comparing it with malpractice rates. I think its pretty interesting that none of the communication aspects which RIAS uses apparently correlate with malpractice suits, whereas tone alone does.

The second article, even in the abstract, suggests that tone is a pretty easy thing to coach and not some intuitive, complex skill at: "method might be useful in training surgeons". It also says something very, very interesting: "This is the first study to show clear associations between communication and malpractice in surgeons." (its from 2002 though, so thats not as hard hitting as I was hoping it would be).

I should browse more recent literature on the topic but I feel that "soft skills" aren't properly analyzed or quantified. I think a lot of this should be left to psychologists for study and determination. If you want to devise a test for social skills, it should be devised and standardized by those with a doctorate in that specific field. A lot of the current metric for testing communication skills is "I'll know it when I see it" methodology which is ridiculously anachronistic at best.

I'm reading about RIAS and now and it seems pretty thorough. I can't help but believe it, as a method of communication analysis, seems better than the methodology used in this article. When people mentioning physician's quality of communication with patients, I can't help but think the "intuitive analysis" they're using lines up more with RIAS's objective standards. I mean, the second article is literally just rating the tone of voice and comparing it with malpractice rates. I think its pretty interesting that none of the communication aspects which RIAS uses apparently correlate with malpractice suits, whereas tone alone does.

The second article, even in the abstract, suggests that tone is a pretty easy thing to coach and not some intuitive, complex skill at: "method might be useful in training surgeons". It also says something very, very interesting: "This is the first study to show clear associations between communication and malpractice in surgeons." (its from 2002 though, so thats not as hard hitting as I was hoping it would be).

I should browse more recent literature on the topic but I feel that "soft skills" aren't properly analyzed or quantified. I think a lot of this should be left to psychologists for study and determination. If you want to devise a test for social skills, it should be devised and standardized by those with a doctorate in that specific field. A lot of the current metric for testing communication skills is "I'll know it when I see it" methodology which is ridiculously anachronistic at best.

RIAS is certainly one of the gold standards for doctor-patient communication and the one I'm most familiar with. There are 2 others I believe of comparable quality I don't recall the names of offhand that are not infrequently used as well though. I agree that the study using RIAS is objectively stronger, but I don't believe RIAS includes tone as one of its constructs (though I may be misremembering there). As far as doctor-patient communication research, the majority of research, at least thr quality research, is in fact conducted by or with significant involvement by psychologists. I'm not proposing that communication skills be objectively tested as a criterion for admission to med school. They're tested within med school as part of step 2 CS and that's frankly a **** test. I'm only stressing the importance of communication

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the problem, though. People have often told me that I'm just not very friendly looking. I talk in a straight forward manner (without a lot of the BS words that people like to use i.e. "honey" "sweety" - admittedly typically done by a few females - but still), I keep a pretty stoic facial expression, and I'm terrible at small talk (which may come from a sense of insecurity, but I doubt this is the place to talk about it). I've asked for [constructive] criticism from my bosses and peers and I've been told that I'm "abrasive", for whatever that's worth. I've tried to correct myself, but I honestly have no idea what to do.

I've noticed that when I'm in a casual, usual environment, I'm able to converse properly, but as soon as I'm talking with people from different age ranges, I'm not able to come across as articulate, friendly as I'd like.

I understand this isn't the place to seek help for possible psychological abnormalities, but any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I've asked previously on here, and I've been given recommendations such as taking acting classes, but that's just way too out of my norm for me to even approach.

tl; dr: I'm "abrasive", stoic, "mean-face", which all sum up to me being "unfriendly". This has caused me to hate talking to people, and is already effecting my decisions as to possible job prospects. I'm constantly Googling job prospects which have limited face-to-face interactions. Any suggestions.

From a different post, your quote "I'm one of those people who may seem unfriendly, but once I really get to know you, I'm there for you forever" makes it obvious that, unlike some people on here seem to be assuming, you do enjoy interacting with people; you just aren't that great at it...yet. So, I would ignore those people telling you to abandon your dream just because you're not naturally cute and cuddly under stress...these things can be learned, especially if you recognize the issue and want to fix it; from your posts, it's abundantly clear that you do.

My point is you know yourself best and if you feel that you are capable of having normal interactions with people, then rest assured that you can learn to have normal interactions with patients (who, not surprisingly, are people!). The whole idea of "if you're not naturally good at something, don't do it" is silly; you'll just have to work harder at it than others, simple.

Last edited:
I would bet a LARGE sum of money almost all of those aren't because the physician was incapable of communication he information, but chose not to out of apathy. It doesn't take Taylor Swift to communicate basic ideas to a patient. 99% of applicants likely could.

Sorry to dredge up a quote from the previous page, but it's too funny to me. How the hell did Taylor Swift sneak in here? Is she supposed to be a good example of some kind of great communicator? What on Earth? :rofl:

Sorry to dredge up a quote from the previous page, but it's too funny to me. How the hell did Taylor Swift sneak in here? Is she supposed to be a good example of some kind of great communicator? What on Earth? :rofl:

tumblr_neqw630kqc1sgl0ajo1_500.gif

I've been hearing some docs complain that interventional rads never bother to interact with the people they operate on.

That's cuz they don't "operate" on anybody. Sticking a wire in someone is hardly operating.

Path, rad, anesthesiology, in that order. Rad and anesthesiology can have some decent patient interaction, however.

But I guarantee you as you get out in the work force and interact with more people (that aren't d*cks -- maybe you're just interacting with some people now that just aren't very nice), you'll start to have a better opinion of how beneficial interacting with others can be. As @mimelim said, it's the cornerstone of this whole thing -- we'll be caring for people that can't care for themselves, and we've got to be able to make them feel comfortable and safe.
You HAVE to be a people person as an anesthesiologist, possibly far more than even fields like IM. It's not a trivial task talking to patients for the first time 15 minutes before some yokel like me cuts into them.

An Acting and Behavior coach can actually really help you if you're serious about becoming and looking more friendly.

obviously obviously obviously psychiatry (i think i need to see a psychiatrist)

If you don't like people, why are you going into a profession where you have to care for them?

You HAVE to be a people person as an anesthesiologist, possibly far more than even fields like IM. It's not a trivial task talking to patients for the first time 15 minutes before some yokel like me cuts into them.

I don't know; I could feel safe in the hands of someone that isn't too nice but seems extremely competent, and nervous in the presence of someone that's totally amiable. Pre-op discussion is basically all business: "here's what we're gonna do, we won't let anything happen (pinky promise), and do you have any questions?" A practical person who isn't a chatterbox should be able to do that standing on their head. Then post-op: "How are you feeling? Is everything alright? The nurse is getting the pain killers now. You'll be fine." Post-op was like 2mins where I was at. Pre-op ~5-10min. So per case you're looking at maybe 15min max per patient of face time. That's a lot less than clinic specialties.

Course with that said, any specialty, I agree, is gonna be made a lot easier if you're a people person and can communicate well. I mean ****, communication skills are needed in pretty much every job in existence, and the better you can communicate, generally the better job you'll do. You can meet coworker and client (in this case, patient) needs so much easier when you can actually talk with them about what they want.

but seems extremely competent
That's part of being the excellent people person. Projecting competence and gaining confidence of an already nervous, potentially very ill person in a very short timeframe is not at all for the faint hearted.

Obviously, the best thing would be to be nice and to seem extremely competent. I think most patients feel put-off by competent-but-cold doctors. I see my facebook friends ranting about those kinds of doctors fairly regularly.

That's part of being the excellent people person. Projecting competence and gaining confidence of an already nervous, potentially very ill person in a very short timeframe is not at all for the faint hearted.

True. But you can be "not a people person" and be quite strong-hearted. At least personally, docs I feel most comfortable with are generally the more serious ones that don't seem like they're f*cking around (i.e. asking me unrelated questions like if I saw the latest sh*tty sports game or whatever to supposedly make me feel more comfortable). I'm there to get treated, not make friends. If he's examining me and asking all the proper questions, and carrying out a competent treatment plan that ends up helping me, I don't care if I like him or not. He's a good doc, and that's what I'll tell everyone I know.

I could see, however, a doc's personality potentially mitigating his complete failure to treat someone successfully. One might keep that in mind.

Obviously, the best thing would be to be nice and to seem extremely competent. I think most patients feel put-off by competent-but-cold doctors. I see my facebook friends ranting about those kinds of doctors fairly regularly.

In the end though, you still would want a competent/cold doctor over someone who is totally incompetent/super nice.

HOWEVER, a totally incompetent doctor would probably not make it through med school/residency. So in totality/reality, you still want a nice compassionate doctor over the cold no people skills doctor.

In the end though, you still would want a competent/cold doctor over someone who is totally incompetent/super nice.

HOWEVER, a totally incompetent doctor would probably not make it through med school/residency. So in totality/reality, you still want a nice compassionate doctor over the cold no people skills doctor.

Unless his residency was in bumf*ck with actually challenging pathology once every 6 months.

Also, you gotta remember that the general public might not actually realize that a doctor is totally incompetent, but will like them anyway because "super nice" is something that everybody recognizes and appreciates.

True. But you can be "not a people person" and be quite strong-hearted. At least personally, docs I feel most comfortable with are generally the more serious ones that don't seem like they're f*cking around (i.e. asking me unrelated questions like if I saw the latest sh*tty sports game or whatever to supposedly make me feel more comfortable). I'm there to get treated, not make friends. If he's examining me and asking all the proper questions, and carrying out a competent treatment plan that ends up helping me, I don't care if I like him or not. He's a good doc, and that's what I'll tell everyone I know.

I could see, however, a doc's personality potentially mitigating his complete failure to treat someone successfully. One might keep that in mind.
Yes you're right. I should probably have phrased it more about communication ability. That being said, when I say "people person" I don't mean a warm pal-ing around kind of bro. I mean someone who's well tuned to another person's mental/emotional state and is able to work effectively with it.

Sadly, strongly disagree with the bolded. But I digress

I think it's important to remember that competence in medicine is not a magical trait one acquires after grinding a set amount of XP. Much of it, possibly most of it, depends on being able to listen to patients, pick out things between the lines if necessary, and synthesize a LOT of data in real time with an output that makes sense to this particular patient. It really heavily leans on the kinds of things that make people "warm," and it's a very intertwined set of skills.

Yes you're right. I should probably have phrased it more about communication ability. That being said, when I say "people person" I don't mean a warm pal-ing around kind of bro. I mean someone who's well tuned to another person's mental/emotional state and is able to work effectively with it.

Sadly, strongly disagree with the bolded. But I digress

I think it's important to remember that competence in medicine is not a magical trait one acquires after grinding a set amount of XP. Much of it, possibly most of it, depends on being able to listen to patients, pick out things between the lines if necessary, and synthesize a LOT of data in real time with an output that makes sense to this particular patient. It really heavily leans on the kinds of things that make people "warm," and it's a very intertwined set of skills.

I can respect that opinion.

Also, you gotta remember that the general public might not actually realize that a doctor is totally incompetent, but will like them anyway because "super nice" is something that everybody recognizes and appreciates.

And they remember it when they think about whether or not they should sue you when they get a bad outcome.

Good skill to have, certainly.

OP, you've said that you would be more comfortable working with underserved, minority patients, but you have to realize that it is these patients that really need a "people person" doc. I've worked closely with underserved patients, many of whom are non-compliant, and the biggest reason for their non-compliance (besides inability to afford medication) is that they don't feel comfortable with their doctor. I would take that into consideration before saying stuff like you would much rather work with underserved people than affluent people. Have you worked with underserved people previously? Did you feel like you could communicate with them better? If so, why is that? Do you have something in common with them? You don't need to answer these on the forum, but think about them and maybe you'll be able to pinpoint why you're having difficulty in your current position working with more affluent folks.

Also, I've worked with both pathologists and radiologists. In fact, in the breast radiology center that I shadowed at, these two specialties have a weekly conference where they lecture each other and discuss findings, and they call each other constantly to talk about patients. Some subspecialties within radiology have a ton of patient interaction whereas regular, diagnostic radiology really doesn't (though this depends on the individual radiologist). Do you think your main concern is trying to talk to people whose knowledge base isn't the same as yours (i.e., patients), or are you concerned about talking with anyone? I know some people, myself included, have a hard time explaining things in simpler terms to people.

I also second everyone's suggestion to get a job or volunteer position that will allow you to build relationships with people, like tutoring or some other service where you're seeing many of the same people each day/week/whatever. You'll have practice with small talk, but it'll be a familiar set of people so you'll feel a little more comfortable interacting, hopefully.

I've been thinking about this on and off all day and what I think that might have been missing in your interaction with the customer was empathy on your part for his plight. If you stated only the facts, perhaps he wasn't feeling that you understood his feelings. If you had started off by saying, "I'm sorry, I'm sure it is frustrating to have driven all the way over here and then have to wait. We are very backed up today. I'm sorry this is going to take longer than we'd like." Now you've recognized that he is inconvenienced and apologized for that inconvenience. If you just say, "Your prescription is not ready. Please check back in 20 minutes." you are going to have pissed off customers telling you where to go. It just takes some time to learn to empathize and you'll have them eating out of your hand.

Reactions: 5 users
I've been thinking about this on and off all day and what I think that might have been missing in your interaction with the customer was empathy on your part for his plight. If you stated only the facts, perhaps he wasn't feeling that you understood his feelings. If you had started off by saying, "I'm sorry, I'm sure it is frustrating to have driven all the way over here and then have to wait. We are very backed up today. I'm sorry this is going to take longer than we'd like." Now you've recognized that he is inconvenienced and apologized for that inconvenience. If you just say, "Your prescription is not ready. Please check back in 20 minutes." you are going to have pissed off customers telling you where to go. It just takes some time to learn to empathize and you'll have them eating out of your hand.

This is exactly what it is in my experience. I find that the main thing a customer wants is for you to validate their feelings. I just had a situation this weekend at work (I work at an animal hospital) where I had to break some mildly bad news to a client. At first, she was like "This is unacceptable!" and was pitching a bit of a fit. But as soon as I was like "I know, I agree, it's totally unacceptable and I'm really sorry, we're going to try to fix this," she calmed right down and even apologized to me for getting angry! The thing you don't want to do in these situations is to not take responsibility or come off as detached from the problem or, even worse, defensive or making excuses.

I've also come to this conclusion, along with many more. I feel out of place talking too much to the customers in an environment where it's not my complete duty to appease the customers as it's the pharmacists job to do so. I feel like if I talk too much and try to empathize, it'll reflect badly on the pharmacist. Is this incorrect thinking? Will a situation like this often occur in the health field? If so, should I stop worrying about "politics" and more on putting myself in the customers' shoes when something goes awry?

Also, just saying what you wrote aloud even makes me feel sorry! Will definitely implement this from now on. Thank you.

P.S. I'm still a teenager, so I feel stupid trying to "act" like I'm some big boss by talking big, and this reluctance often inhibits my desire and ability to interact. What do you think about this? Yes, I know this sounds silly.

OP, you've said that you would be more comfortable working with underserved, minority patients, but you have to realize that it is these patients that really need a "people person" doc. I've worked closely with underserved patients, many of whom are non-compliant, and the biggest reason for their non-compliance (besides inability to afford medication) is that they don't feel comfortable with their doctor. I would take that into consideration before saying stuff like you would much rather work with underserved people than affluent people. Have you worked with underserved people previously? Did you feel like you could communicate with them better? If so, why is that? Do you have something in common with them? You don't need to answer these on the forum, but think about them and maybe you'll be able to pinpoint why you're having difficulty in your current position working with more affluent folks.

Also, I've worked with both pathologists and radiologists. In fact, in the breast radiology center that I shadowed at, these two specialties have a weekly conference where they lecture each other and discuss findings, and they call each other constantly to talk about patients. Some subspecialties within radiology have a ton of patient interaction whereas regular, diagnostic radiology really doesn't (though this depends on the individual radiologist). Do you think your main concern is trying to talk to people whose knowledge base isn't the same as yours (i.e., patients), or are you concerned about talking with anyone? I know some people, myself included, have a hard time explaining things in simpler terms to people.

I also second everyone's suggestion to get a job or volunteer position that will allow you to build relationships with people, like tutoring or some other service where you're seeing many of the same people each day/week/whatever. You'll have practice with small talk, but it'll be a familiar set of people so you'll feel a little more comfortable interacting, hopefully.

My background aside, I have an innate desire to especially help the underserved/minorities. I feel like I have one level for regular customers, and then a whole other level for those people I know are struggling and really need my help. In other words, I'll bend over backwards for those who are underserved, but feel like I'm doing just the amount required for everyone else. Do you think this is ethically wrong? I feel like it is, but I also think this is what drives certain physicians to primarily work in underserved communities.

I've also come to this conclusion, along with many more. I feel out of place talking too much to the customers in an environment where it's not my complete duty to appease the customers as it's the pharmacists job to do so. I feel like if I talk too much and try to empathize, it'll reflect badly on the pharmacist. Is this incorrect thinking? Will a situation like this often occur in the health field? If so, should I stop worrying about "politics" and more on putting myself in the customers' shoes when something goes awry?

Also, just saying what you wrote aloud even makes me feel sorry! Will definitely implement this from now on. Thank you.

P.S. I'm still a teenager, so I feel stupid trying to "act" like I'm some big boss by talking big, and this reluctance often inhibits my desire and ability to interact. What do you think about this? Yes, I know this sounds silly.

This is why I think customer service jobs are so valuable. Don't put the blame on someone else on the team. Use "we" rather than "the pharmacist" to show that it is not the personal failing of one person (even if it is the pharmacist who is goofing off and not getting the work done).

The point is to try to identify and validate the customer's feelings and let them know that you acknowledge those feelings and apologize for any part you or your organization may have had in making the customer upset, angry, frustrated or whatever.
My background aside, I have an innate desire to especially help the underserved/minorities. I feel like I have one level for regular customers, and then a whole other level for those people I know are struggling and really need my help. In other words, I'll bend over backwards for those who are underserved, but feel like I'm doing just the amount required for everyone else. Do you think this is ethically wrong? I feel like it is, but I also think this is what drives certain physicians to primarily work in underserved communities.

Everyone deserves to be treated well. It is noble to want to help the downtrodden but the affluent are people too with feelings and struggles, even though it may look like they are on Easy Street. It is just to do the minimum required to help one class of people and to go out of your way to be extra helpful to another class? Should your goal be to treat everyone equally and that is to say, to give everyone the best you can?

Is there any merit to the idea that underserved patients tend to stick with one doctor more often? I feel like with the affluent people I deal with, they're always threatening to leave their doctors over minor squabbles (and often follow through with it), whereas I don't hear so much talk with minorities (I can't really say undeserved since it's not possible for me to know if they are).

In my experience with people who either don't have insurance or don't have good insurance or money, no. They don't tend to stick with one doctor. They don't usually have a PCP and just kinda show up in ED's and urgent cares when their health gets bad.

Is there any merit to the idea that underserved patients tend to stick with one doctor more often? I feel like with the affluent people I deal with, they're always threatening to leave their doctors over minor squabbles (and often follow through with it), whereas I don't hear so much talk with minorities (I can't really say undeserved since it's not possible for me to know if they are).

I know of situations where affluent patients have asked physicians for favors that were clearly immoral/unethical (e.g. writing a letter attesting to a non-existent medical condition in order to get a refund on a non-refundable ticket). There is clearly a sense of entitlement and a "you work for me" attitude that some people have.

With the poor, there are those who don't have a primary care provider (PCP) and who depend on the ER and there are those who are very devoted to their PCP, very grateful for the care they receive and very loyal. I see this when I meet the patients of a friend of mine who is a nurse practitioner in a community clinic.

Is it important to make small talk during interviews? I don't watch movies or TV (other than sports) and have little to say for those subjects. I could talk about sports or food, but I would rather talk about my work or service or current events.

Resting b!tch face is an epidemic! But there is hope, @YoungProdigy.

"Dr. Sherelle Laifer-Narin, a radiology professor at Columbia University Medical Center, said that she has mastered the art of the emphatic smile, which she plasters across her face during staff meetings to avoid the question: “Is everything O.K.?”
“During the first lecture of the year for my residents, I make sure to let all the first years know that I don’t bite, just bark, even if my facial expressions might indicate otherwise,” she said." http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/fashion/im-not-mad-thats-just-my-resting-b-face.html?_r=0

Don't avoid people because you assume they won't like you...that will make you even more standoffish! Spend more time getting to know people and try to genuinely enjoy your time with them.

Is it important to make small talk during interviews? I don't watch movies or TV (other than sports) and have little to say for those subjects. I could talk about sports or food, but I would rather talk about my work or service or current events.

Some schools have students mingle among applicants and specifically tell them to look at what applicants are doing between interviews. "Make sure to note which are rocking back and forth in the corner."

Polite small talk is not 'required', but I think that if opportunity arises that it is preferable to playing candy crush on your phone.

During interviews the interviewer is likely to ask you a few warm up questions but mostly about where you are from, your visit thus far, the weather.... If you are from a big sports town or your college has a sports dynasty, that could come up. Some interviewers do like to ask, what was the last good book you read or something like that to get at what interests you.

Some schools have students mingle among applicants and specifically tell them to look at what applicants are doing between interviews. "Make sure to note which are rocking back and forth in the corner."

Polite small talk is not 'required', but I think that if opportunity arises that it is preferable to playing candy crush on your phone.

Or at least stand near a group of other interviewees to give the illusion you are being sociable.

I really do not understand how its hard to strike up a conversation with other interviewees. Everyone has something blatantly obvious in common with each other to talk about.

Reactions: 3 users
Small talk doesn't have to be about sports or movies lol
Just ask others where they are from and go from there. Like gandy said, really not too difficult

I also disagreed with anaesthesiology being on that list. A compassionate and reassuring anaesthetist can make a world of difference for nervous surgical patients. Also you have to interact with surgeons and nurses all day.

I'm gonna second this. Having a confident anesthesiologist can make the worlds difference in how patient's perceive a surgery and feel about their recovery after.