What Field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im applying to med school right now and Im not sure how to go about answering the 'what field of medicine do you want to go into' question. Ive had experience watching surgery but i dont know what i could say beyond i like working with my hands and ive found it interesting. Is there any websites you could recommend that describe what it takes to go into these specialities?

Members don't see this ad.

You are not expected to know at this point. A reasonable answer to this question would be stating which, if any, specialty originally sparked your interest in medicine (and why), but adding that you're excited to explore the many specialties that medicine has to offer. Provided that you have enough clinical experience under your belt to convince you that medschool is truly for you, there's really no need to start researching specialties yet.

cytoborg said:
You are not expected to know at this point. A reasonable answer to this question would be stating which, if any, specialty originally sparked your interest in medicine (and why), but adding that you're excited to explore the many specialties that medicine has to offer. Provided that you have enough clinical experience under your belt to convince you that medschool is truly for you, there's really no need to start researching specialties yet.

I agree. The question isn't that important to them. Heck, a lot of MSIs and MSIIs don't even know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haybrant said:
Hi,

Im applying to med school right now and Im not sure how to go about answering the 'what field of medicine do you want to go into' question. Ive had experience watching surgery but i dont know what i could say beyond i like working with my hands and ive found it interesting. Is there any websites you could recommend that describe what it takes to go into these specialities?

Basically, I said that I observed surgery and was enthralled by the surgical techniques of the physicians. It inspired me to become a physician and that I can see myself working in that area but I am uncertain of the specific field until 3rd year of med school after gaining more clinical exposure.

I think adcom is looking to see that you are serious about med school via have had some clinical exposure and not so much that you know what kind of physician you would like to become from such an early onset.
my 2 cents

I just answered mine VERY generically...I think I said "academic medicine."

Haybrant said:
Hi,