what following changes will be

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothdigger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Considering the NBDE format will be pass or fail from 2010, what changes do u think are gonna appear for international 2 year dentist program?
How could they select people, and will they prolong the time of the project?
Annoy! i dont know whether to take it this year.

Members don't see this ad.

from what i think, even though they will make it pass/fail...i dont believe it'll be ANY easier to get into an international dentist program. They will probably have other criteria that you have to meet other than pass/fail also.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is just my guess, but it seems to be the obvious response.

I think they will focus more on the other scores (TOEFL, GPA), resume, interview and, for some schools, the practical test.

Considering the NBDE format will be pass or fail from 2010, what changes do u think are gonna appear for international 2 year dentist program?
How could they select people, and will they prolong the time of the project?
Annoy! i dont know whether to take it this year.

The Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations met at the American Dental Association Headquarters on Tuesday and Wednesday, March 11-12, 2008, and approved the following:

*Suggest that the appropriate agency or organization develop an alternative testing instrument for use in the admission process for advanced dental education programs.(So NDBE will no longer be used in admission process for International Dentists.instead, a Standardized Exam developed with an appropriate Organization will replace it.So Be careful! From 2010, NDBE will no longer be considered as a selection factor to International Dentists Programs.)

**An eligibility requirement that internationally trained dentists, from non-accredited dental schools, once enrolled in a predoctoral dentalprogram in the U.S. be required to request certification of the dental school dean where the students are enrolled in order to be eligible to take the National Board examinations.(as You See,International Dentists areh eligible to take NDBE once enrolled in a predoctoral dentalprogram in US,upon submitting certification of the US dental school dean.This means that from 2010 NDBE will be used just for getting eligible for practice Dentistry in US, after finishing a US predoctoral program, not as an admission criteria.

***A change in eligibility requirements such that candidates who pass the National Board examinations cannot retake the examination unless requested or required by a licensing jurisdiction, effective in 2010.

****Reporting National Board examination performance as pass/fail effective in 2010, excepting that more detailed information willbe provided to failing candidates.(Again it will be used just for licensing issues)

*****Appointment of an [FONT=Arial,Arial]ad hoc .committee to develop a strategic plan for the Joint Commission to 1) investigate the potential merging of Part I and Part II into one examination and 2) to study the feasibilityof a plan to restructure the National Board Part I and Part II test construction committees.

******A proposal to study the feasibility of increasing the number of cases on Part II and reducing the number of items nested in cases in order to optimize reliability.

Dear Friends, please pay attention deeply to the above-mentioned tips.It seems that sometimes there it has been misunderstood and some friends think that as always,NDBE will be used in the future admission process(from 2010), but will be reported as PASS/FAIL.But, as you see, it is not correct.
I am sure the new exam will be very similar to the PRIOR LEARNING ASSESMENT that will soon(from 2010) replace Eligibility Exam in CANADA for foreign trained dentists.It will composed of 2 sections:Thorical And Practical.
Hope that they won't say each candidate will be permitted to take the test only 2 times.(like What ACFD says).In fact if you fail the exam or will not get admission to an advanced standing program in Canada Dental Schools, You will have to appply to an Eligible DDS/DMD program from the very beginning!:(It means that you will have to study from 1st year of dentistry program if you will be able to be admitted of course.

I am distressed friends since I will not be able to take tests before 2010.:(I am in my Home country now....think of applying to a DDS program once entering CANADA...seems scary but may save my time...the new exam seems very cruel to me..:(

Any comment would be welcome.

The Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations met at the American Dental Association Headquarters on Tuesday and Wednesday, March 11-12, 2008, and approved the following:

*Suggest that the appropriate agency or organization develop an alternative testing instrument for use in the admission process for advanced dental education programs.(So NDBE will no longer be used in admission process for International Dentists.instead, a Standardized Exam developed with an appropriate Organization will replace it.So Be careful! From 2010, NDBE will no longer be considered as a selection factor to International Dentists Programs.)

**An eligibility requirement that internationally trained dentists, from non-accredited dental schools, once enrolled in a predoctoral dentalprogram in the U.S. be required to request certification of the dental school dean where the students are enrolled in order to be eligible to take the National Board examinations.(as You See,International Dentists areh eligible to take NDBE once enrolled in a predoctoral dentalprogram in US,upon submitting certification of the US dental school dean.This means that from 2010 NDBE will be used just for getting eligible for practice Dentistry in US, after finishing a US predoctoral program, not as an admission criteria.

***A change in eligibility requirements such that candidates who pass the National Board examinations cannot retake the examination unless requested or required by a licensing jurisdiction, effective in 2010.

****Reporting National Board examination performance as pass/fail effective in 2010, excepting that more detailed information willbe provided to failing candidates.(Again it will be used just for licensing issues)

*****Appointment of an [FONT=Arial,Arial]ad hoc .committee to develop a strategic plan for the Joint Commission to 1) investigate the potential merging of Part I and Part II into one examination and 2) to study the feasibilityof a plan to restructure the National Board Part I and Part II test construction committees.

******A proposal to study the feasibility of increasing the number of cases on Part II and reducing the number of items nested in cases in order to optimize reliability.

Dear Friends, please pay attention deeply to the above-mentioned tips.It seems that sometimes there it has been misunderstood and some friends think that as always,NDBE will be used in the future admission process(from 2010), but will be reported as PASS/FAIL.But, as you see, it is not correct.
I am sure the new exam will be very similar to the PRIOR LEARNING ASSESMENT that will soon(from 2010) replace Eligibility Exam in CANADA for foreign trained dentists.It will composed of 2 sections:Thorical And Practical.
Hope that they won't say each candidate will be permitted to take the test only 2 times.(like What ACFD says).In fact if you fail the exam or will not get admission to an advanced standing program in Canada Dental Schools, You will have to appply to an Eligible DDS/DMD program from the very beginning!:(It means that you will have to study from 1st year of dentistry program if you will be able to be admitted of course.

I am distressed friends since I will not be able to take tests before 2010.:(I am in my Home country now....think of applying to a DDS program once entering CANADA...seems scary but may save my time...the new exam seems very cruel to me..:(

Any comment would be welcome.

i agree,i think 2010 format is to make international dentist accreditation harder,not easier;or even to stop for a while.

i agree,i think 2010 format is to make international dentist accreditation harder,not easier;or even to stop for a while.
it can not stop because it is a question of money for the schools. So they will find their way to accept people ;)

thank you guys.
You mean a new test format will appear only for inter-students?
God, I dont want a 4-year DDS program. I am still in my homecountry. it seems too long and too expensive.

just i wonder if someone take nbde part1 and could`nt take part 2 through 2009 for a resone or another....what he will do? is there any chance to take part2 in 2010 regards

thank you guys.
You mean a new test format will appear only for inter-students?
God, I dont want a 4-year DDS program. I am still in my homecountry. it seems too long and too expensive.

Dear Toothdigger,
A new test format will be used in the International Dentists, admssion process to US dental Schools.Furtheremore,it is probable that they restructure NDBE too.But NDBE will be used for assesment of the needed knowledge and skills for taking Dental Licensure.(as I have mentioned completely in my previous post.)
Any way,I don't want a 4.year DDS program either.But I will be in Canada no sooner than 2010.And regarding the upcoming changes in EE , I think it may waste my time and energy more than starting a DDS program.And as far as I know , the US dental schools planning to start an admission policy similar to Canada's.
Hope that it will be more reasonable at least!
GOOD LUCK!:luck:

just i wonder if someone take nbde part1 and could`nt take part 2 through 2009 for a resone or another....what he will do? is there any chance to take part2 in 2010 regards

Dear Friend,
As far as I konw, regarding the fact thet International Dentists will not be eligible to take NDBE anymore(from 2010 I mean) , if you want to take both NDBE parts, you have to try to take both of them in 2009.
Except for eligibility issues,there may be No Separate part 1 and Part 2 NDBE's then in 2010.
It is my personal interpretation of what I have already written in one of my previous posts in this same thread about the upcoming changes.If you would like, please investigate more and upon getting sure, please let me know.
Good Lock!:luck: