What got you to where you are? Is the stereotype true?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMG69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm basically an Ortho or die student and i'm just curious about how you guys managed to get into Ortho seeing as its so competitive so i'm looking for any useful tips.

What got you accepted into Ortho? Hard work, contacts, luck even or are you naturally gifted? (there's always some of these people) Or was it simply a combination of these (which I assume)? Can you work for Ortho or do you need a somewhat innate ability to retain/grasp concepts - The best example I can think of is there is a student in my class who studies literally 24/7 (we're very early on in coursework) but barely scores higher then the majority while we aren't even close to matching his study hours.

I'm just trying to gauge the reality of the task ahead of me, I realize I need to be top of the class etc but if you could share some of the lengths you went to, to make sure you got that residency that would be great and motivational as well :)

My last question is about the stereotype, does it hold some truth or is Ortho a mix of different personality types and backgrounds? This is just out of curiosity.

I'd appreciate any special tips you guys have (excluding of course the get into research early, smash USMLE, smash everything, top of class etc)

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

#1 question: are you an IMG?

Reactions: 1 user
#1 question: are you an IMG?

Yes but can we ignore that fact because I will also be attempting Ortho in other countries as well (New Zealand/Australia) I really want this to steer clear of Ortho chances, otherwise I would've posted in the stickied thread :)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Any personality can do ortho. Stereotypes are true but every stereotype has exceptions.
For me getting into ortho was a mix of working my butt off and a little luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Where did the luck aspect come in? Can I assume the USMLE?

I did a general surgery prelim year after going unmatched, then matched on the second try. So I guess I went to some lengths.

How exactly did this work? Did you already have a very strong Ortho application?

So you both just did exactly what's expected? Worked and got top of the class/near top, had your research and killed the USMLE and had stellar reviews?

Usmle was actually the work part. Luck was having one of my letter writers be friends with a residency interviewer at the place where I eventually matched.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ah that was my second guess :) well congratulations to you anyway, your living my dream doing Ortho trauma :)

Where did the luck aspect come in? Can I assume the USMLE?

How exactly did this work? Did you already have a very strong Ortho application?

So you both just did exactly what's expected? Worked and got top of the class/near top, had your research and killed the USMLE and had stellar reviews?

I probably had an average application from an ortho standpoint. I don't know how I was so fortunate on re application. I guess I just interviewed at the right program at the right time. Maybe a few people went to bat for me. I will never know.

I probably had an average application from an ortho standpoint. I don't know how I was so fortunate on re application. I guess I just interviewed at the right program at the right time. Maybe a few people went to bat for me. I will never know.

You got there in the end, that's all that matters :) Congrats.

You will need both, hardwork and luck.

Hardwork: USMLE score, excel during away rotations
Luck: Hope that someone will notice you among the most competitive applicants. My luck was that I had an anesthesiologist vouched for me during my away rotation. He was the anesthesiologist for a lot of the ortho cases I was involved in. I helped him with getting the patient, setting up for intubation and nerve blocks, and I also helped clean the OR. He went out of his way and talked to the PD for me.

Reactions: 1 user
You will need both, hardwork and luck.

Hardwork: USMLE score, excel during away rotations
Luck: Hope that someone will notice you among the most competitive applicants. My luck was that I had an anesthesiologist vouched for me during my away rotation. He was the anesthesiologist for a lot of the ortho cases I was involved in. I helped him with getting the patient, setting up for intubation and nerve blocks, and I also helped clean the OR. He went out of his way and talked to the PD for me.

Thanks for this, so essentially work hard (grades and on rotations) so that they notice you basically which seems to be true for everything in life.

I'll realistically never get Ortho in the U.S unless something like that happens to me but anyway congratulations on your success :)

Last edited: