What GPA and extracuric to get into SURP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I have a great GPA and some research experience (from HS), lot of competitive programs like Sloan Kettering and Amgen seem to accept Ivy league/top 20 students. Not sure how much of the school's name goes into account but how difficult are they to get into?
Anyone who has applied and been accepted in the past? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Applying to these programs is very much a crap shot. You have the best chance of getting in if you're a junior with previous research experience and 3.7+ GPA. Don't feel bad if you don't get your top choices though. You stand a better chance of getting into a top 20 med school than getting accepted to some of the Amgens and ivy SURPs.

While I have a great GPA and some research experience (from HS), lot of competitive programs like Sloan Kettering and Amgen seem to accept Ivy league/top 20 students. Not sure how much of the school's name goes into account but how difficult are they to get into?

I disagree. Both summer research programs that I attended (Amgen and SPUR) displayed a preference for students that have few research opportunities at their home institution. Students from all over the country and from all types of institutions (Ivy, top tier, mid tier, low tier like me) get accepted. I obviously can't speak for all programs, but that was my experience. I had one program director state that research experience and strong recommendations tend to be more important than GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on all of your previous experience, is it worth applying if one has a 3.65 GPA?

Based on all of your previous experience, is it worth applying if one has a 3.65 GPA?

I got into one of the internships I did (which was a SURP) with a 3.68 (I think... it was somewhere around there). I had done previous internships and had a pretty strong research background, but there were other people in my program with not as much research experience and similar GPAs.

I wouldn't just apply to top 20 programs because selection for those are always so random, but apply to a broad mix of REUs, SURPs, etc and you'll have a good shot somewhere.

I got into one of the internships I did (which was a SURP) with a 3.68 (I think... it was somewhere around there). I had done previous internships and had a pretty strong research background, but there were other people in my program with not as much research experience and similar GPAs.

I wouldn't just apply to top 20 programs because selection for those are always so random, but apply to a broad mix of REUs, SURPs, etc and you'll have a good shot somewhere.

Thanks for the info! I'm in a slight situation because I have a transcript without this last semesters grades on it and my GPA is > 3.8 on that transcript. But if I were to get another transcript it would have my last semesters grades included on it and that brings my GPA to a 3.65. Technically I could just submit the transcript with the > 3.8 on it for the programs that accept online transcripts, but then I would have to submit the transcript with a 3.65 for the programs that require official paper transcripts. What do I do?! :scared:

Thanks for the info! I'm in a slight situation because I have a transcript without this last semesters grades on it and my GPA is > 3.8 on that transcript. But if I were to get another transcript it would have my last semesters grades included on it and that brings my GPA to a 3.65. Technically I could just submit the transcript with the > 3.8 on it for the programs that accept online transcripts, but then I would have to submit the transcript with a 3.65 for the programs that require official paper transcripts. What do I do?! :scared:

I would just go ahead and send your current transcript. I think it would look weird if you didn't include this semester's grades because you're going to be submitting well after they are released. I was somewhat in the same situation where I had a bad semester right before I submitted-- I just explained it and noted steps I was taking to make sure it didn't happen again. I don't think it hindered me in getting into a program at all (I ended up getting into multiple programs that year).

Also, I don't know what year you are, but you may want to consider applying for more REUs if you are a freshman or sophomore. From what I understand, most SURPs are designed for juniors (I would say 45 out of 50 in my program were juniors/rising seniors). Definitely not all, but make sure you look in the eligibility section for each program and apply appropriately!

I attend a state flagship and did a summer at Sloan (after freshman year) and was an Amgen Scholar after sophomore year. So I really don't think you are locked out of these programs because of the school you attend. However, I did (and still do :) ) have a 4.0 gpa, and started college taking more advanced classes since I APed out of all the intro level pre-reqs. Perhaps this is what got me in?