what GPA is good GPA????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentpro

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, I have a 3.3 GPA (comb) now after finishing chm1,2;phy1,2;org1,2;anatomy1;bio1,2;enc1,2;speech,calculus1,statistics,2 hist classes, clg alg. my sci gpa is 3.4. i still have some upper level sci classes remaining. can somebody comment on avg gpa one should have to be considered competative??????

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a good person that wants to help others then I would say that a 13 is better than most 21's. If you are a greedy person that sees dentistry as a way to make money then I would say that a 30 is not quite good enough. DATs are weighed against all other requirements and SUGGESTIONS.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.6-3.7 is competitive and a 20+ on DAT's is competitive, both those will most likely get u into dental school

hi, I have a 3.3 GPA (comb) now after finishing chm1,2;phy1,2;org1,2;anatomy1;bio1,2;enc1,2;speech,calculus1,statistics,2 hist classes, clg alg. my sci gpa is 3.4. i still have some upper level sci classes remaining. can somebody comment on avg gpa one should have to be considered competative??????

A 3.4 isn't bad at all. Competitive would be around 3.5-3.8 but you have to lump that with your DAT score. If you can take more science classes to raise it to around 3.6 you have a pretty competitive GPA.

Your GPA isn't bad at all, many people get into dental school with your GPA (just look at predents.com). Keep trying to get as many A's as possible. Obviously the higher the GPA the better...
Make sure you do well on the DAT and you should be fine...

I don't know about other people but all 10 people in my school that I know who are planning to apply for 2010 cycle have above 3.6 GPA.

In other words, 3.6 is minimum GPA coming from my school.

For me, my GPA went down as I was taking more BIO classes.

I don't know if u r gonna take more bio classes but all I can say is do well in upper bio classes.

If you keep around 3.4, 3.5 GPA, you're good to go. Just make sure you do 20s on your DAT. That will get you the interview and then I don't think your scores really matter after that.

If you keep around 3.4, 3.5 GPA, you're good to go. Just make sure you do 20s on your DAT. That will get you the interview and then I don't think your scores really matter after that.

True at some schools, but I know for a fact Ohio State University will give you the interview and from there they rank you. They use your GPA, DAT, ECs, and interview score. That's how they decide who gets accepted and also allows them to rank their waitlist.

I think you should aim for a 3.5/3.6+ GPA (you're almost there). trust me, i have a low gpa and i worry about not getting in everyday/night. Bust your behind for a few semesters and really boost that gpa up and with a decent DAT score + EC's you will be golden.

The higher, the better....period.....

Its much more complex than just GPA. I have a 4.01 GPA, with 19/19/21 (AA, TS, PAT). Applied in August.

Zero Interviews so far...

So its very difficult to base admission just on GPA... but definatly aim for as high as possible...