SamuelTesla

7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2010
Michigan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Can someone tell me what exactly happens after you get an acceptance from a medical school? How long do they give you to decide? And is there some fee you pay after getting accepted, if so how much?

btw... gl to everyone!

rafflecopter

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
This is really school dependant. Some schools require you to respond to their acceptance within 2 weeks (many schools are like this, actually) while others have no official deadline. The school to which I was accepted has no deadline, but I still sent it in within a week.

Many schools require you to submit a deposit in order to hold your place in their class, usually its $100 or so and refundable up until May 15th. This by no means restricts you to only attend that school, and you can hold multiple acceptances to different schools. However, after May 15th you are only allowed to hold one acceptance at a time and are required to withdraw your application from all other schools. If you are accepted to another school after May 15th and wish to attend there, you can withdraw your application from your current school and switch to the new one.

Or you could have used the search function instead of making me type this :rolleyes:

OP
SamuelTesla

SamuelTesla

7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2010
Michigan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This is really school dependant. Some schools require you to respond to their acceptance within 2 weeks (many schools are like this, actually) while others have no official deadline. The school to which I was accepted has no deadline, but I still sent it in within a week.

Many schools require you to submit a deposit in order to hold your place in their class, usually its $100 or so and refundable up until May 15th. This by no means restricts you to only attend that school, and you can hold multiple acceptances to different schools. However, after May 15th you are only allowed to hold one acceptance at a time and are required to withdraw your application from all other schools. If you are accepted to another school after May 15th and wish to attend there, you can withdraw your application from your current school and switch to the new one.

Or you could have used the search function instead of making me type this :rolleyes:

thx i actually used the search function but couldn't find anything

btw... i'm one of the 12000

thx again - gl!

btw... how was ure SUNY Upstate interview? was it easy?

OP
SamuelTesla

SamuelTesla

7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2010
Michigan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Definitely seems to vary. Michigan required nothing, but Vandy required a response within two weeks.

thx cole

they just keep finding more ways to get our money

rafflecopter

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
thx i actually used the search function but couldn't find anything

btw... i'm one of the 12000

thx again - gl!

btw... how was ure SUNY Upstate interview? was it easy?
Well I had already interviewed at UCSD prior to my Upstate interview and I think interviewing at a higher ranked school made me more relaxed for Upstate's interviews. I got along very well with both interviewers and they were both pleasant to speak with. In the end, they both really tried to sell the school to me and did a pretty good job of it I might add.

I would say that your nerves are really the only thing that make an interview "hard" - if your not nervous, they are very easy. Even tough ethical questions don't rattle me once you realize that they often don't have a "wrong" answer and are typically asked to see how an applicant thinks. Not being nervous comes from adequate preparation: knowing your application backwards/forwards and knowing how you would answer some of the big questions (not rehearsed answers, just some general ideas about what you would say) eg Why medicine? Why this school? What are strengths/weaknesses? types of questions.

juliedi

is legit.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Step 1: Pay deposit.
Step 2: ????
Step 3: Profit!

OP
SamuelTesla

SamuelTesla

7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2010
Michigan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well I had already interviewed at UCSD prior to my Upstate interview and I think interviewing at a higher ranked school made me more relaxed for Upstate's interviews. I got along very well with both interviewers and they were both pleasant to speak with. In the end, they both really tried to sell the school to me and did a pretty good job of it I might add.

I would say that your nerves are really the only thing that make an interview "hard" - if your not nervous, they are very easy. Even tough ethical questions don't rattle me once you realize that they often don't have a "wrong" answer and are typically asked to see how an applicant thinks. Not being nervous comes from adequate preparation: knowing your application backwards/forwards and knowing how you would answer some of the big questions (not rehearsed answers, just some general ideas about what you would say) eg Why medicine? Why this school? What are strengths/weaknesses? types of questions.

thx man - i have to work on that - its impossible to understand anything im saying when im nervous - i talk so freaking fast.

gravitywave

fourth year
Dec 19, 2009
s/p ERAS
Status
Medical Student
Actually, Vandy doesn't have a deposit fee.
...and those that do (US MD anyway), the deposit is refundable before May 15. Otherwise, it just gets applied to your first bill. It's a "deposit."

so basically: cough up a deposit, don't get arrested, finish whatever coursework/degree you're doing at a 3.0 level or better. The usual timeline for response is two weeks, but that's school dependent as others have said.

chrisoc13

Brand New Member
Jun 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
...and those that do (US MD anyway), the deposit is refundable before May 15. Otherwise, it just gets applied to your first bill. It's a "deposit."

so basically: cough up a deposit, don't get arrested, finish whatever coursework/degree you're doing at a 3.0 level or better. The usual timeline for response is two weeks, but that's school dependent as others have said.
Unless its Ohio State, but their non-refundable deposit was only $25 :)

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
they just keep finding more ways to get our money
It goes towards your tuition should you end up matriculating. And it is school dependent. UVA doesn't require a deposit, just an acceptance of the acceptance within 2 weeks, in writing.

chrisoc13

Brand New Member
Jun 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
you are referring to the secondary fee :confused:

not a seat deposit
Nope. Just sent my check in last week, it is a seat deposit. It caught me off guard because I had read that deposits were normally much higher and non-refundable. So far one school was the $25 and the other was no deposit :)

gravitywave

fourth year
Dec 19, 2009
s/p ERAS
Status
Medical Student
Nope. Just sent my check in last week, it is a seat deposit. It caught me off guard because I had read that deposits were normally much higher and non-refundable. So far one school was the $25 and the other was no deposit :)
what? that's wack :mad: They didn't want one last year, i don't think. not to mention the fact that non-refundable deposits pre-May 15th are contradictory to the Traffic Rules.

that stinks. you should withdraw before they ambush you with more dumbness :p

OP
SamuelTesla

SamuelTesla

7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2010
Michigan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
thx guys

ischemic2

Removed
Oct 31, 2010
Status
I'm going to go with straight chillin to answer your question of what to do upon acceptance.