What happens after match day???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorsfiance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my fiancé of 2 years got matched with his number choice, what happens between match day and graduation? Are there still any classes he's suppose to take? Is he suppose to still be away in school? Or is him being away now unnecessary when he can really be home?

Members don't see this ad.

o_O

I sense a lot of back story on this one... sprinkled with communication problems.

1.) He has been doing "rotations" for the past 1.5 years. Not "classes"
2.) More than likely yes, he has some rotations to finish up

Reactions: 4 users
a valid message.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What did he say when you asked him? He should be able to explain how it works and what requirements he still needs to complete before graduation.

Reactions: 4 users
o_O

I sense a lot of back story on this one... sprinkled with communication problems.

1.) He has been doing "rotations" for the past 1.5 years. Not "classes"
2.) More than likely yes, he has some rotations to finish up

Well the back story is that we have been having a lot of problems and apparently he thinks I don't understand what he goes thru, and prefers I don't ask him about it until HE is ready to talk. He said he's very busy nd has no time right now ? I don't know lol

Wasn't there that medical school in New York that had some ridiculous required assignment at the end of 4th year? The students all copied off each other, got caught, and the school was in the awkward position of having to put 90% of their matched graduating class on academic probation or something?

So yeah, schools do manage to come up with busy work post-match sometimes.

Well the back story is that we have been having a lot of problems and apparently he thinks I don't understand what he goes thru, and prefers I don't ask him about it until HE is ready to talk. He said he's very busy nd has no time right now ? I don't know lol

The only way to understand what he is going through is to listen. If he is closing himself off it is understandable why you'd be concerned.

SDN is not going to solve your relationship problems. It is very plausible he is legitimately busy with school. It is also very possible he is using school as an excuse to get some space/distance. We can't divine which.

I'd suggest considering seeing a couples therapist.

Reactions: 3 users
The only way to understand what he is going through is to listen. If he is closing himself off it is understandable why you'd be concerned.

SDN is not going to solve your relationship problems. It is very plausible he is legitimately busy with school. It is also very possible he is using school as an excuse to get some space/distance. We can't divine which.

I'd suggest considering seeing a couples therapist.

Wasn't really looking for relationship advice on this but someone asked for the back story so I gave it. Was just curious to know what goes on after match day, i do try my best to be his support system but it seems to really bother him that I am back home and enjoying life. Does not mean I don't miss him and that isn't an excuse for him to shut down when I ask him questions. Med students are complicated human beings lol. But thank you for your comment!!

It really depends because everyone has different schedules and every school has different requirements. For instance, some of my classmates still have (serious) rotations until graduation because they took their vacation months early for Step 2 studying, interview season, etc. Then, there are people like me who saved their vacation blocks and have nothing from now until graduation. Like Smurfette said, he should be able to tell you what he's doing even if it's as simple as research, ____ rotation, etc.

So my fiancé of 2 years got matched with his number choice, what happens between match day and graduation? Are there still any classes he's suppose to take? Is he suppose to still be away in school? Or is him being away now unnecessary when he can really be home?

Feel so sorry that he has to come home to you. You're not the significant other from another thread whose bf/husband complained that his gf/wife feels uncomfortable with him doing breast and pelvic exams on women in OB-Gyn are you?

Reactions: 1 user
Well the back story is that we have been having a lot of problems and apparently he thinks me don't understand what he goes thru, and prefers me don't ask him about it until HE is ready to talk. He said he's very busy nd has no time right now ? me don't know lol
upload_2014-4-1_14-45-38.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Wasn't there that medical school in New York that had some ridiculous required assignment at the end of 4th year? The students all copied off each other, got caught, and the school was in the awkward position of having to put 90% of their matched graduating class on academic probation or something?

SUNY Upstate

Yup, Upstate: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/05/cheating_may_delay_medical_deg.html

Of course the school was recently on probation so the school wasn't exactly top notch: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/02/upstate_medical_school_put_on_1.html

i like to imagine that your anal sphincter de-puckers for the first time in four years and you fall into a deep, deep sleep--the deepest you have had in years.

Reactions: 1 users

Man... that's sad. I don't think that is very typical for medical students. I talk to my fiance about everything going on with school. Maybe a bit too much. :p Hope you guys work it out.

Don't worry here at SDN, we are not only just great medical students but we are also great advisers, for both medical and emotional problems. Having some relationship problems? NO PROBLEMS. We are here for you! Now to start off with some questions. How did he propose to you? When did the problem begin? Do you feel it has escalated or is settling down?

OP,

FYI , if you are female you should be fiancée. Fiancé refers to a male. Apostrophe missing from "doctor's" in this informal setting of a screen name is understandable. (For those writing personal statements for residency, spelling and syntax errors indicators that the applicant may not pay attention to detail).

As for your original question, if you are meant to be together and if he is someone you trust, things will be fine. Let him use the rest of his 4th year as he wants - regardless of it is for rotations or just to hang out with med school friends.

If you need him to communicate better with you, let him know. I know you did not ask for relationship advice but the original post suggests a serious lack of communication.

Last edited: