What happens during med school orientation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muggle911

Non-magical member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

What occurred at your med school orientation?
Is orientation intense, in terms of giving us actual material to study and sending us to introductory courses, or is it just a light transitional week? Ours is a full week and thus far all thats been mentioned is some "get to know your class" parties, but nothing as far as what happens 9-5 each day.

Members don't see this ad.

Worst week of the whole year. Not because you do anything, but because it is so boring. Have fun!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of administrative stuff (vaccinations, financial aid etc)for 6 hours a day plus a few sessions where they tell you how awesome med school is going to be and how terribly difficult its going to be at the same time.

Then someone will give you a long-winded speech about proffesionalism and why not coming to class makes you a terrible future physician.

Thats it in a nuttshell

You get introduced to the school and the curriculum, hear from second year medical students who might talk about their experiences, participate in team building activities, and are made to feel really really special because you are now part of the medical community. There's nothing scary about it. It's the calm before the storm. If you are so inclined, you are free to study during your free time, and also go to all of the social activities that are set up by your classmates.

get a flask and booze...let everyone know that you are "that guy"

:p

The administrators bring you down one by one and flog you in front of the entire class. It really helps to build camraderie among your classmates.

The administrators bring you down one by one and flog you in front of the entire class. It really helps to build camraderie among your classmates.

:laugh:

I'm not sure what orientation week was like at my school. I spent most of the week sleeping, venturing from my apartment only for the student activity fair. It's not the most important week of your life, that's for sure.

listen to lots of presentations, eat free food, chat with new classmates, move into your apartment, go to school-sponsored social events in the evening, and, most importantly, repeatedly ask yourself, "omg, what have i done?"

Lots of alcoholic debauchery....or at least alcoholic something...

EDIT: Oh, and the one inevitable tool that wears his badge to these social events.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I wear my white coat and name badge to all the social events? In fact... should I just never take it off?

I'm planning on getting a few different styles of white coat that can be appropriate in different settings. I wouldn't want to be too formal when just hanging out with friends and family so maybe I could have one that I can just roll the sleeves up and pop the collar.

You can get one of those off-white leather ones they used to have on HOUSE

My orientation was mostly a combo of the rising M2's getting us trashed (lots of partying) and tons of useless general info with a few essential things like registration thrown in. Find someone in the class ahead of you to see which parts of orientation you can skip. Definitely wear your coat to all social events, and it wouldn't hurt to have it monogrammed beforehand.

Meh...we don't get our white coats until the end of October. What other toolish things do people do at orientation besides show up in scrubs?

My orientation was mostly a combo of the rising M2's getting us trashed (lots of partying) and tons of useless general info with a few essential things like registration thrown in. Find someone in the class ahead of you to see which parts of orientation you can skip. Definitely wear your coat to all social events, and it wouldn't hurt to have it monogrammed beforehand.

oh cool I'm a step ahead, Wright State does this for us...

Orientation is BORING :sleep:

Partying with classmates the week before hand is good though :thumbup:. No better way to get to know your future colleagues than grinding with them on the dance floor.

Have you seen Caligula?

It isn't anything like Caligula.

Orientation is BORING :sleep:

Partying with classmates the week before hand is good though :thumbup:. No better way to get to know your future colleagues than grinding with them on the dance floor.

Yea this has been pretty much my week so far. I'm pretty sure I've met you but I have no idea who you are haha. Also this week before school starts Monday has consisted of us staying out til 3 or 4 am and getting hardly any sleep

Hi all,

Is orientation intense, in terms of giving us actual material to study and sending us to introductory courses, or is it just a light transitional week? Ours is a full week and thus far all thats been mentioned is some "get to know your class" parties, but nothing as far as what happens 9-5 each day.

Lots of parties and going out.

Three to four weeks before exams is when things get serious and people start to study ... a lot.

We went to the Grand Canyon.

LOL?

(Seriously, we did.)

listen to lots of presentations, eat free food, chat with new classmates, move into your apartment, go to school-sponsored social events in the evening, and, most importantly, repeatedly ask yourself, "omg, what have i done?"

Ditto. Especially the free food: 5 great lunches not involving greasy pizza, and dinners most nights as well. Plus an activities fair to look around at school groups/organizations. WCC at the end of the week.

Hi all,

Is orientation intense...

It's a lot like joining the free masons. First everyone has to run past a long line of attendings all wielding paddles, and they spank you as you run by.
stonecutter.jpg

It's a lot like joining the free masons. First everyone has to run past a long line of attendings all wielding paddles, and they spank you as you run by.

I THOUGHT that was the PPD test!

stonecutter.jpg

This trial we call "crossing the desert". And this one is known as "the unblinking eye".

stonecutter.jpg

So, what you're saying is, it's basically like the Klingon Rite of Ascension. Gotcha... :p

Out of curiosity, anybody here not the party type? Will I be a total social outcast if I'm not going to the parties? I don't get into school till the day before orientation, and I personally was planning on using time after scheduled orientation that week to catch up on my Economist (I'm a dork, I know).

Haha I was thinking more of Animal House, but I think you two nailed it pretty well.:thumbup:

I think Al was kidding. Please don't monogram your white coat. It would be the height of toolishness, unless of course you are required to by your school.

I think they were just saying their school does it for them. Probably so that they can't lie and say it's not theirs.

I think Al was kidding. Please don't monogram your white coat. It would be the height of toolishness, unless of course you are required to by your school.

Wright State fits all its interviewees for coats, so if you get an acceptance and matriculate you have a fitted, monogrammed coat. I realize he/she (sorry Al not sure which pronoun to use!) was joking, the part about being a step ahead was sarcasm.

During orientation week you get to see all the people in your class, because after that week you'll never see any of them again.

Holy crap, did you guys take me seriously? Never underestimate a pre-med or med student's lack of sense of humor and common sense, I suppose. :laugh:

Out of curiosity, anybody here not the party type? Will I be a total social outcast if I'm not going to the parties? I don't get into school till the day before orientation, and I personally was planning on using time after scheduled orientation that week to catch up on my Economist (I'm a dork, I know).

You won't be a social outcast. But expect others to go on and on about their late-night activities.

Some of us started med school before age 21...:(

Hi all,

you meet the douchebags in your class. and get drunk. and maybe if you are lucky you get....:smuggrin: