What happens if a program is cited?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjw0918

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know how any of this works. If during ACGME accredidation, some things don't meet standards, is the program cited? Does that mean it goes on probation? How does this effect the residents when it comes time for applying for fellowhip? Is it true that if you come from a program that is suspended that you can't sit for the boards? But that's different from probation, right? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

cjw0918 said:
I don't know how any of this works. If during ACGME accredidation, some things don't meet standards, is the program cited? Does that mean it goes on probation? How does this effect the residents when it comes time for applying for fellowhip? Is it true that if you come from a program that is suspended that you can't sit for the boards? But that's different from probation, right? Thanks in advance.

Basically nothing happens, I have seen Ivy League surgery programs on probation and their residents zip off to high flying fellowships with no problem. I think the whole thing is political posturing by the ACGME. Reminds of when shut down clinical research at Penn or Hopkins because someone died, they closed it down for all of a couple of weeks, big whoopee.

This is of course, accred. is not pulled from the whole hospital like it was at Killer King/MLK in Los Angeles, that is totally different ballgame.

I'm glad this topic got brought up. As an M3 student I wonder, should I include a program that is on probation on next year's rank order list? I hope I don't have to, but who knows how my interviews/grades turn out. Is it better to match to a program on probation than not match at all?

Generally, it's not really a problem. Can't really recall a program that's been permanently revoked by ACGME. Although I think int med at MLK in LA came mighty close. But I wouldn't be too concerned in Path.