What happens if you don't get a LOR from supervisor during gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

_NM_

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm taking two years off and working at a university before going to medical school. I'm applying this cycle and am torn on whether or not to get a letter or recommendation from my boss. She's always so hot and cold toward me that I'm not sure that I trust her to give me a strong letter (she reminds me of Regina George from mean girls--no joke).

I already have 5 letter writers from professors, whom I have great relationships with, at undergraduate institution. Do you think it will hurt my chances if I don't get a letter from my current boss?

Thanks in advance for you advice!
 
I'm taking two years off and working at a university before going to medical school. I'm applying this cycle and am torn on whether or not to get a letter or recommendation from my boss. She's always so hot and cold toward me that I'm not sure that I trust her to give me a strong letter (she reminds me of Regina George from mean girls--no joke).

I already have 5 letter writers from professors, whom I have great relationships with, at undergraduate institution. Do you think it will hurt my chances if I don't get a letter from my current boss?

Thanks in advance for you advice!

If you don't think she'll be able to write you a strong letter of recommendation, then I wouldn't bother asking her. Just use the letters that your other professors wrote for you!
 
That's fair--I just didn't know if it would look strange since I've been working here for almost a year :$
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's fair--I just didn't know if it would look strange since I've been working here for almost a year :$

Even if that were true, I'd rather have an adcom think something is a 'little strange' rather than reading a possibly detrimental letter of recommendation.