What happens if you don't get a LOR from supervisor during gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_NM_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking two years off and working at a university before going to medical school. I'm applying this cycle and am torn on whether or not to get a letter or recommendation from my boss. She's always so hot and cold toward me that I'm not sure that I trust her to give me a strong letter (she reminds me of Regina George from mean girls--no joke).

I already have 5 letter writers from professors, whom I have great relationships with, at undergraduate institution. Do you think it will hurt my chances if I don't get a letter from my current boss?

Thanks in advance for you advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking two years off and working at a university before going to medical school. I'm applying this cycle and am torn on whether or not to get a letter or recommendation from my boss. She's always so hot and cold toward me that I'm not sure that I trust her to give me a strong letter (she reminds me of Regina George from mean girls--no joke).

I already have 5 letter writers from professors, whom I have great relationships with, at undergraduate institution. Do you think it will hurt my chances if I don't get a letter from my current boss?

Thanks in advance for you advice!

If you don't think she'll be able to write you a strong letter of recommendation, then I wouldn't bother asking her. Just use the letters that your other professors wrote for you!

That's fair--I just didn't know if it would look strange since I've been working here for almost a year :$

Members don't see this ad :)
That's fair--I just didn't know if it would look strange since I've been working here for almost a year :$

Even if that were true, I'd rather have an adcom think something is a 'little strange' rather than reading a possibly detrimental letter of recommendation.

Reactions: 1 user
Even if that were true, I'd rather have an adcom think something is a 'little strange' rather than reading a possibly detrimental letter of recommendation.

Fair point