What happens if YOU dont get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GypsyHummus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the application cycle is going in full swing, I just wanna know, what are some of your guy's back up plans in case things dont turn out so hot?

Retake the MCAT? Retake some classes to take advantage of dat delicious DO replacement? Build huts for African orphan blind babies suffering with malaria while saving them from a burning building?

But remember, all it takes is one :)

Members don't see this ad.

As the application cycle is going in full swing, I just wanna know, what are some of your guy's back up plans in case things dont turn out so hot?

Retake the MCAT? Retake some classes to take advantage of dat delicious DO replacement? Build huts for African orphan blind babies suffering with malaria while saving them from a burning building?

I'll probably just kill myself.

But really, I'll keep working at this terrible job and probably take more classes.. Sad life that'll be.

Edit: I have 7 interviews though, so if I get rejected from all 7 then I probably really suck.

Last edited:
Can't go back undergrad. : \. I have this burning desire to go back and do a quadrille major. So that is out of question.

Graduate program and slave away for many years then get paid like zero in research? Doesn't sound enticing.

Business? Likely since it doesn't even require a degree to do well. Private business in some kind of exotic food product. Working as a street vendor and save up money like a jew. Then probably becomes a giant enterprise like Wendy, or taco bell.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know. I got asked that in an interview last week and I said I'd go foreign (I'm already a re-applicant). I'm kind of regretting saying that now.

I'm probably gonna open up my own medical school and base my acceptance decisions on a combination of SDN post counts, attractiveness, and funniest meme submissions.

After a few months of crippling depression and fear of facing my friends and family I'd back to school. I'd probably not try and get into med school again. Maybe physical therapy or something else that would lend itself to a career in sports science and training/coaching. That or flight school.

unacceptable. Im getting in, at all costs. Worked too hard to make a comeback and show I want this to let these oppurtunities pass me by.

I'm probably gonna open up my own medical school and base my acceptance decisions on a combination of SDN post counts, attractiveness, and funniest meme submissions.
can I be the Dean?

sounds like youd require your students to have a personality..well that rules out 65% of SDN.

dude is just seeking answer to a possible interview question. I have been asked that before. So be prepared.

yeah they asked that at lecom-b actually. the responses were all pretty much the same, lol. I think the real response is youll keep moving forward and do whatever it takes to improve.

Members don't see this ad :)
can I be the Dean?

Absolutely my man!

sounds like youd require your students to have a personality..well that rules out 65% of SDN.

hahah if only medical school had a personality test/requirement...we'd be raking in the acceptances

Glad to be in the top 35%!

MedPR you'd be in hands down...but something tells me you won't need to attend my awesome fake university =P :xf:

Reapply as early as possible for next cycle, take the MCAT again, and join the Jesuit Volunteer Corps to do a year of service in the meantime. I'm not going back to school, I'm pretty confident my GPA will not be the reason I don't get in.

unacceptable. Im getting in, at all costs. Worked too hard to make a comeback and show I want this to let these oppurtunities pass me by.

I'm not applying this cycle, but this is what my plan would be if things don't work out next cycle.

I'm not getting in this cycle, because I didn't submit my primary (even though I spent hours on filling out this damn application).

I know the 3 on verbal will kill my chances if I don't retake and do significantly better.

I will make sure I submit my application Day 1 next year. Until then, my main focus will be on scoring well on the MCAT.

I feel so crappy because I was almost sure I will be starting med school in Fall of 2013. I have all of my ducks in line (GPA, LOR's, EC's, etc...), but the mcat verbal is going to cost me to put my dream on hold for another year.

On the bright side, I have a little less than a year to kill the MCAT and improve my chances significantly of getting in "Top tier" DO schools. I will also exploit this year by spending time with my wife and kid.

Good luck to all of you who have applied.

I'm not getting in this cycle, because I didn't submit my primary (even though I spent hours on filling out this damn application).

I know the 3 on verbal will kill my chances if I don't retake and do significantly better.

I will make sure I submit my application Day 1 next year. Until then, my main focus will be on scoring well on the MCAT.

I feel so crappy because I was almost sure I will be starting med school in Fall of 2013. I have all of my ducks in line (GPA, LOR's, EC's, etc...), but the mcat verbal is going to cost me to put my dream on hold for another year.

On the bright side, I have a little less than a year to kill the MCAT and improve my chances significantly of getting in "Top tier" DO schools. I will also exploit this year by spending time with my wife and kid.

Good luck to all of you who have applied.

Good luck! The only way to improve verbal is practice practice practice! With an entire year to dedicate to the MCAT and any other EC's I am sure you will prevail. It is always good to look at the positives, and sometimes the things we feel are the worst, end up being gifts in disguise. :luck:

I'm a re-applicant and it sucks. I retook courses and did research and stuff so hopefully that will make a difference. If I fail again this time I'm just going to start my own business...then maybe apply again.

I'm a re-applicant and it sucks. I retook courses and did research and stuff so hopefully that will make a difference. If I fail again this time I'm just going to start my own business...then maybe apply again.

Did u apply both MD and DO? The first time?

It seems like the first time people just apply MD, at least at my school they do.

Then Study for graduate school and apply every year. A good masters would be to continue where you were or apply for a Masters in Public health. Mean while study the MCATS and apply every year in your grad school until you get accepted.

average entrance age in med school is ususally about 26 anyways :)

I am a reapplicant (sad but true :() and had to deal with this before. Things that I did to enhance my application:

1. Retook my MCAT (ended up increasing a substantial amount)

2. Got my master's degree (in biomedical sciences - it's pretty much exactly like your first year of medical school. I even took classes with current osteopathic medical students, so I knew what it was like to have their curriculum). It's an expensive enhancement, but I wouldn't trade the experience for the world and I honestly feel like the transition to medical school in the future will be much easier.

3. Currently retaking more undergraduate science courses (to get rid of a few Cs on my transcript - I was told by admissions counselor this is a good thing to do)

4. Got a lot more current shadowing experience in (3 more docs - I was told current shadowing experience is looked upon well by an admissions counselor as well)

5. Did other ECs along the way (had a leadership position in my master's program, random volunteering experience, blah blah blah you know the deal)

6. Got recent and in my opinion better LORs

Overall I just took a good look at my application and decided what needed to be done in order to increase my chances the next time around. I'm currently sitting on 3 interviews (hopefully more later :xf:), while my first time around I had zero interviews. I think as long as you stay dedicated to the goal and do what needs to be done you can be successful. Obviously with this question, adcoms are looking for people dedicated to the medical field, so if your application is lacking in any way in any of these areas, that could be a good thing to address.

Hope that helps :)

I would probably do what drmeows said.
I'd get a masters in something. Biomedical sounds awesome.
More shadowing, more variety of EC's, WORK WORK WORK, to try to save up money and pay off this cycle.

It's not going to be an issue for me since I've been accepted at LECOM, but I wanna play the game too. Besides, what do I say if I'm asked in an interview, "What would you do if you didnt get in this year?" would I just say "stfu I already been accepted biznatch!"
well, that would be horribly out of character for me, and I don't think it would improve my chances of being accepted at that school.

I would probably do what drmeows said.
I'd get a masters in something. Biomedical sounds awesome.
More shadowing, more variety of EC's, WORK WORK WORK, to try to save up money and pay off this cycle.

It's not going to be an issue for me since I've been accepted at LECOM, but I wanna play the game too. Besides, what do I say if I'm asked in an interview, "What would you do if you didnt get in this year?" would I just say "stfu I already been accepted biznatch!"
well, that would be horribly out of character for me, and I don't think it would improve my chances of being accepted at that school.

Yup, that's exactly what you say. Then you tell them that despite being accepted you are still attending the interview because you'd rather go to their school!

Yup, that's exactly what you say. Then you tell them that despite being accepted you are still attending the interview because you'd rather go to their school!

I'm assuming minus the implied explicatives, right?

P.S.
Those were only implied explicatives just do you all know. His royal dudeliness doesn't swear...out loud.

I'm assuming minus the implied explicatives, right?

P.S.
Those were only implied explicatives just do you all know. His royal dudeliness doesn't swear...out loud.

No you definitely use the expletives.

If I don't get in, I will probably convert my 1 year masters to a thesis masters and write a thesis all next year since I already will have all the classes I need to graduate.

I'm sitting on 7 interviews right now, so if I don't get in that really might say something about me :laugh:

I will retake Cs, do some more science classes to boost gpa, work on ECs. and APPLY EARLY next cycle.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Doing the med prereqs as a nontrad has given me a newfound interest in Chemistry. If I don't make it this round, I might apply to a Chem grad program.

Just sayin'...the best answer to this one in an interview is, "find out where my application can be improved upon, do whatever it takes to improve it, and apply again."

I would work to help pay off school loans, retake the MCAT, work with some of my graduate school friends on global health projects we have always wanted to do but didn't have the time, get fluent in Spanish, and maybe retake a class or 2. I don't like this question. I wouldn't have applied if I wasn't confident in my application. If I were dudeliness, I would be tempted to go with the "I'm apologize for the candidness, but I have already been accepted this year." What do they say, again? The worst thing you can do is lie to your interviewers, right?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I'm not dumping thousands of dollars on a second round of applications. If I don't get in: four years military service, go back to school for engineering on the GI Bill.

I'm sitting on 7 interviews right now, so if I don't get in that really might say something about me :laugh:

same here

Just sayin'...the best answer to this one in an interview is, "find out where my application can be improved upon, do whatever it takes to improve it, and apply again."

Probably better to say that you'll improve as a person too.. not just fix weak spots on your app. If you don't get in post interview you just didn't do enough to wow your interviewer.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Probably better to say that you'll improve as a person too.. not just fix weak spots on your app. If you don't get in post interview you just didn't do enough to wow your interviewer.

You and your fancy multiquote from the phone. :p
Even though I had 12 interview invites I'm only going to 7 as well.

And in response to your comment about not getting in post interview, it's only half true that you just didn't do enough to wow your interviewer. As has been pointed out on other threads, you may get the ii from a dude who wants to give someone with a low gpa or MCAT a shot, but then after the interview when the WHOLE committee reviews maybe others think that regardless of the interview the gpa or MCAT is too low and bam you're wait listed. Could have nothing to do with the interview.
Then again, you could be right because if you came in and totally knocked their socks off maybe they could convince the committee to overlook the low score. Meh...

You and your fancy multiquote from the phone. :p
Even though I had 12 interview invites I'm only going to 7 as well.

And in response to your comment about not getting in post interview, it's only half true that you just didn't do enough to wow your interviewer. As has been pointed out on other threads, you may get the ii from a dude who wants to give someone with a low gpa or MCAT a shot, but then after the interview when the WHOLE committee reviews maybe others think that regardless of the interview the gpa or MCAT is too low and bam you're wait listed. Could have nothing to do with the interview.
Then again, you could be right because if you came in and totally knocked their socks off maybe they could convince the committee to overlook the low score. Meh...

I guess but I feel like your interviewer would fight for ueou if you wowed them enough.

I guess but I feel like your interviewer would fight for ueou if you wowed them enough.

There's also a chance that your interviewer is on the adcom

I thought all interviewers are on the adcom?:confused:

Nope. I was interviewed by a DO, a professor, and an admissions person (clerical). Maybe the DO was on the adcom but the other two were definitely not

Most are not. The adcom is the group that will be voting on your application and/or has official say during the decision of whether or not you will be accepted. Interviewers can be adcom or just someone with expertise that can make a recommendation one way or another after meeting you.

From talking to interviewers at a couple med schools, they sometimes don't even have access to the final decision on the people they interview. So, they get to find out sometime after interviews are over.

Nope. I was interviewed by a DO, a professor, and an admissions person (clerical). Maybe the DO was on the adcom but the other two were definitely not

a clerical person? I guess to see if you would be respectful of a non-physician?

Most are not. The adcom is the group that will be voting on your application and/or has official say during the decision of whether or not you will be accepted. Interviewers can be adcom or just someone with expertise that can make a recommendation one way or another after meeting you.

From talking to interviewers at a couple med schools, they sometimes don't even have access to the final decision on the people they interview. So, they get to find out sometime after interviews are over.

Ah good to know.. thanks!

a clerical person? I guess to see if you would be respectful of a non-physician?

Aside from a few classes and maybe a lecture or two in anatomy, most of your interactions in medical school are with non-physicians. But the reason they put these people in the mix for interviewing is mostly to get another perspective.

At nova they were pretty clear with me that they are not the adcom. Yet said they would do their best to represent me to the actual committee so that they could make a decision.

Reality: Consider SMP/other grad program, going foreign, or podiatry. Maybe just reapply with improved grades.

For interviews: Keep pushing for med school until I'm retirement age. :p

Aside from a few classes and maybe a lecture or two in anatomy, most of your interactions in medical school are with non-physicians. But the reason they put these people in the mix for interviewing is mostly to get another perspective.

Actually the reason was because the other professor that was supposed to interview me had been called out. Other interviewees in my "group" all had the additional professor :laugh::thumbup:

Probably apply for a master's program, devote more time/effort to my pre-med club (i'm president right now), I'd likely start an ultimate frisbee club at my university, and hopefully get a few hundred more hours of volunteering/service. Oh and hope and pray to leave my job (that I have only because it works well with school) and get a job that is much more health-care oriented.