What happens if you commit to a DO school then withdraw later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

greenbannan4

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am fortunate enough to have been accepted to a few DO schools late in the game and was planning on taking my visits to them mid next week. However, I just got notified yesterday by one of the schools that I HAD to commit to them by this coming Monday.

They had never told me this before and this is my first time seeing this date. I obviously don't want to lose this acceptance, but I also don't want to commit before at least visiting or really weighing my options.

Is there some type of negative backlash I would get if I committed to that school to save my A and later on after my visits realized that I would rather go elsewhere and decommit?
 
So I am fortunate enough to have been accepted to a few DO schools late in the game and was planning on taking my visits to them mid next week. However, I just got notified yesterday by one of the schools that I HAD to commit to them by this coming Monday.

They had never told me this before and this is my first time seeing this date. I obviously don't want to lose this acceptance, but I also don't want to commit before at least visiting or really weighing my options.

Is there some type of negative backlash I would get if I committed to that school to save my A and later on after my visits realized that I would rather go elsewhere and decommit?
I don’t think at this point you can hold two DO acceptances. I think schools are automatically notified and will give you a certain amount of days before withdrawing you.
9F979905-4B6B-4946-8F66-14DE321F8DBC.png