What happens if you don't pass boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mewcakes

SCO c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. What happens if you don't pass a section of the boards? Do you have to wait till the following year to take it? Can you move forward onto other sections or must you pass them in sequence? Seems like a question I should know, so I never asked any schools directly. Didn't want to make it look like I might actually have that problem. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious. What happens if you don't pass a section of the boards? Do you have to wait till the following year to take it? Can you move forward onto other sections or must you pass them in sequence? Seems like a question I should know, so I never asked any schools directly. Didn't want to make it look like I might actually have that problem. :p

What happens is death. Death by hanging, at dawn, from a Brock string.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I guess it's a good thing that no one has experienced this. :p But if anyone knows theoretically what happens, I'm just curious.

Well technically you can take the NBEO twice in one year...downfall is you have to pay twice also (once in March and once in June)

Ah, I see. Yeah, I was basically wondering if you had to wait a whole year before it was offered again. Neat.

Well technically you can take the NBEO twice in one year...downfall is you have to pay twice also (once in March and once in June)

I think it's actually in March and August now? Most people take it in August, but one of my colleagues waited a year and took it with my class in March. You can still continue on to the next Part without passing the first Part. She took the Part 2 in November as scheduled, so basically she passed Part 2 before she passed Part 1.

Last edited:
I think it's actually in March and August now? Most people take it in August, but one of my colleagues waited a year and took it with my class in March. You can still continue on to the next Part without passing the first Part. She took the Part 2 in November as scheduled, so basically she passed Part 2 before she passed Part 1.

Supposedly the March & August administration are very similar (in terms of questions asked), but March 2010 was different [harder?] than March 2009.

Yeah, my bad. It is August and not June.

You will need to have passed all parts to get licensed in the US.
When I took Part I, there was a guy taking it for the 8th time. He'd grauduated 3 years ago & was selling real estate.

Technically, you can't graduate from SCO without passing parts 1 and 2. So just plan on passing it the first time and saving yourself another $625. :)

If you don't pass you can work as an Ophthalmic Technician for the rest of your life.:idea:

I heard a rumor that you had to pass all sections of Part I in order to get licensed there; not sure if its true though.