What happens if you have to do jury duty during medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mitrieD

What if you get chosen as a juror in a court case for jury duty and you have to take 1-2 weeks off from medical school? Surely you wouldn't be able to do that right? You can't survive by taking a week off.

Members don't see this ad.

You respond to the summons with, "I'm in medical school and have conflicting exams," and they release you.

Reactions: 1 users
Good question, could someone also chime in on whether it would be any different if you were the defendant instead of the juror?

edit: Asking for a friend who may at some point have the full force of the law crashing down on him

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can get a deferral because you are a student.

Apparently if you use the educational exception too many times they stop letting you use it though. Might be a New York thing, not really sure.

Tell them you are really racist.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a jury summons first year and told them I was out of state for school. They let me out of it, no problems.

Good question, could someone also chime in on whether it would be any different if you were the defendant instead of the juror?

edit: Asking for a friend who may at some point have the full force of the law crashing down on him

Cannot imagine this would work.

Easy out, courtesy of CGP Grey. (Maybe. Results not guaranteed. I just posted this because this thread made me think of it).

You don't have to pretend to be racist, just extremely fanatical. The set of juries has to be agreed by both the defendants and prosecutors. Just blatantly favor either side and you will be off the hook :)

If you can't figure out how to get out of jury duty you probably won't get into med school anyway...

If you can't figure out how to get out of jury duty you probably won't get into med school anyway...
I have failed to get out of jury several times. That doesn't mean I have ever served.
It usually costs a week of lost work (with no internet access!), even though I never make it past voir dire.
I've been in the jury box for voir dire with superior court judges who could not get out of the lost week.
The medical students are always granted a release, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The medical students are always granted a release, though.

You're dangerously close to making the heads of SDN bigger than they already are ;)

I'm no expert as I've been on three juries but the cases never lasted more than 2 or 3 days... all civil cases related to auto crash injuries. The duration of jury duty varies by jurisdiction. Some are "one day/one trial" and you are done after which ever comes first. That said, my kids got out of jury duty by sending a letter stating that they were in school OOS/abroad.