What happens if you wait a long time to turn in secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bored_Student

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
People always say that you should turn in secondaries within 2-3 weeks of getting them or something like that. But what happens if you turn it in like 5-6 weeks after getting them? I can't imagine that they'd really care that much if you took a long time with their secondary. Am I wrong about that? And for the ones that say you should turn it in within 30 days, what happens if you turn it in after that? Is there some sort of special penalty or are they just suggesting this so that you don't get put too far back in the order in which they're looking at our applications?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't imagine that they'd really care that much if you took a long time with their secondary. Am I wrong about that?

Yes. Not only are you suffering by the fact that most schools are rolling and its in your best interest to turn them in asap, but also showing lack of interest in the school.

And for the ones that say you should turn it in within 30 days, what happens if you turn it in after that? Is there some sort of special penalty or are they just suggesting this so that you don't get put too far back in the order in which they're looking at our applications?

Some schools will just assume you're not interested and drop you if you don't turn in the secondary by the deadline.

There isn't any reason you shouldn't be able to complete a seconday in one day and send it out the next.

Members don't see this ad :)
There isn't any reason you shouldn't be able to complete a seconday in one day and send it out the next.

I beg to differ. Many people have full time jobs, and other obligations to fulfill. Some people are taking classes over the summer, while others are still studying for the MCAT.

Its nice to send out secondaries as soon as possible, but don't worry about it too much. But atleast prioritize your schools, and fill out the most important ones first. Send out secondaries with no essays the day you get them. :thumbup:

I beg to differ. Many people have full time jobs, and other obligations to fulfill. Some people are taking classes over the summer, while others are still studying for the MCAT.

Its nice to send out secondaries as soon as possible, but don't worry about it too much. But atleast prioritize your schools, and fill out the most important ones first. Send out secondaries with no essays the day you get them. :thumbup:

seriously, working fulltime and taking organic chem summer school made it near impossible to get secondaries out the same day, let alone the same week. plus, i'm married, so i can't totally ignore my husband for long stretches.

Perhaps this is true if all that one is doing over the summer is completing secondaries. I, like many others on this forum, work a full time job which makes it difficult to send out secondaries the moment they arrive. Whatever, I have interviews (as well as jolie south, for sure) so I can't be doing anything terribly wrong.

Ya really, I'll buy a beer for the person who is able to start and finish Duke's secondary in a day, haha.

So what about the secondaries that you receive before primary verification? Obviously sending them in before the primary gets there wouldn't be much of a help (can you even do it?) but does this informal 2/3 week rule apply after verification? Or are you expected to have all the secondaries that you received pre-verification ready to go once you do become verified?

And for the ones that say you should turn it in within 30 days, what happens if you turn it in after that? Is there some sort of special penalty or are they just suggesting this so that you don't get put too far back in the order in which they're looking at our applications?

These secondaries are usually a lot longer than your regular sign-this-page-and-send-us-a-check ones. Case in point: UConn. Or Northwestern, Loyola (Some of the ones I filled out). They make them harder to do in a short time and sometimes they state clearly that if you don't return it within X days, they will know you're "not serious" about applying to their school.

So what about the secondaries that you receive before primary verification? Obviously sending them in before the primary gets there wouldn't be much of a help (can you even do it?)

Sometimes you can if they email it to you, but not with the ones that are available online all the time.

Or are you expected to have all the secondaries that you received pre-verification ready to go once you do become verified?

This would be nice if you have lots of free time and not many schools, both of which I don't have...