1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

what happens if...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by umean2tellme, Jun 19, 2008.

1. umean2tellme

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    If you are accepted off a wait list like in july and u fell 3 creds short of graduating and have to take a class to get degree? Would you automatically lose your spot and have to reapply or would they let you in without your Bachelor's?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TehDoc

TehDoc What a pain...
    2+ Year Member

It is not required to have a bachelors for MD or DO schools as far as i know, but call and ask on their opinion on not finishing your requirements for your degree and how will that affect you.

4. Kateb4

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes, most schools do require it. I just got an email from LECOM that says "LECOM Bradenton does require a current degree barring transcript to complete your academic file."

LECOM says that all coursework needs to be done before July 1st, so I'd contact schools that you are waitlisted at and see what their policies are. You may be out of luck at this point.

5. KateGia

KateGia OMS-III
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A lot of schools don't require you to have your degree before you're accepted, but you need to finish before you start. Find out from the schools that you have been waitlisted at, don't rely on SDN for important questions like that. It's not to late to take 3 credits before july/august.

6. Omashu

Omashu FLYING BLUE MMMMM's
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Call your top schools - that's what I did. They all said that I needed a degree.

7. JasonUD

JasonUD PGY-I
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sign up for university of phoenix or any crappy community college you can right now, take the easiest class that is 3 credits (summer courses are normally less than 6 weeks), and then you won't have to worry.

Most schools DO require a bachelor's degree. If this isn't a hypothetical, call the school in question directly. You don't have to give them your real name...for all they know you're just a regular floozy calling and asking an honest question.

Good luck and take care of this RIGHT NOW! Summer classes will most likely be starting very soon!!

8. Gold 5

Gold 5 Stay On Target
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Jason is right. Also before enrolling in the class make sure your current university will accept the class to complete your degree. Get cracking

9. Jpc984

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't think MSUCOM does but I am not 110% sure. Also, I think it depends more on why you are 3 credits short, i.e. did you forget it or fail a class.

10. Revilla

Revilla New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Summer classes started here in mid-May.

11. piss ant

piss ant Mike Rowe for President
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Maybe you can get a professor to give you 3 units of research credit.

12. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Read your acceptance letter carefully. Most say "contingent upon successful completion of all courses required for degree" or something like that. If in doubt, call the school admission's office.

13. PBL DO

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Admission's office is really you're best bet, seems like the kind of question an admissions staff member can answer in a few short seconds. If you're that concerned about it, you don't even have to give your name or any personal information if you think it will affect your status/reputation with the school, just let them know the situation and ask them their policy.

14. Gpan

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you have some unfinished prerequisites, the acceptance letter will let you know which classes you need to have before the first day of school. Am I right????

15. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not always. That's your responsibility to fulfill them (and you should have already been in those classes unless you've signed up for them in the summer and will complete them before med school starts).

This isn't kindergarten. They assume you can take responsibility for yourself, do the necessary research, read, and fulfill the requirements without handholding. 'cuz if you can't, there are an awful lot of people out there who can, and med schools won't think twice about dumping someone who can't figure it out for someone who already has.