What happens next?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uscanmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am not a med school student yet, but I was trying to do a bit of research regarding a physician's career. My question is, after one graduates from med school and completes residency in EM, and gets a job in the emergency department of a hospital, are there any further career advances possible? I'm a little confused about how all these recidencies/fellowships work. As an ED physician, what sub-specialties can I train for (fellowship) that can be used/applied in the ED??

please clarify if you can, thnx

Members don't see this ad.

One of my EM preceptors said, "You spend the first half of your life trying to get into medicine, and the second half trying to get out."

Hello everyone, I am not a med school student yet, but I was trying to do a bit of research regarding a physician's career. My question is, after one graduates from med school and completes residency in EM, and gets a job in the emergency department of a hospital, are there any further career advances possible? I'm a little confused about how all these recidencies/fellowships work. As an ED physician, what sub-specialties can I train for (fellowship) that can be used/applied in the ED??

please clarify if you can, thnx
Here's a link to the SAEM list of fellowships with some info:
http://www.saem.org/SAEMDNN/Portals...EMOrganizationsCoatesAndCheng_files/frame.htm