what happens to subspecialty cert if you flunk IM recert

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michaelrack

All In at the wrong time
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need to recert in IM by the end of the year. What happens to my sleep boards (which I took and passed through the ABIM) if I flunk IM?
Incidentally, I am also Board certified in psych, but took my sleep boards through IM because at the time I wasn't certified in psych.
I haven't practiced general IM since 2005, right now my practice is 99% sleep and 1% psychiatry.

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to find a straight answer at abim.org on this one.

I'm pretty sure that you won't lose your active sleep cert if you fail IM recert. But you would need to take it again and pass prior to your Sleep recert time.

Or you could just reapply for sleep through ABPN when the time comes. Not sure what potential hassles that might bring but something to consider.

I'm pretty sure that you won't lose your active sleep cert if you fail IM recert. But you would need to take it again and pass prior to your Sleep recert time.

Or you could just reapply for sleep through ABPN when the time comes. Not sure what potential hassles that might bring but something to consider.

is it different for sleep than it is for other specialties? my gf rotated through a GI office that had a doc that was only recert in GI and didn't pass his IM recert.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm almost positive you don't have to maintain an IM cert after you've sat for your sub-specialty boards the FIRST time.

You just re-cert your sub-specialty on time to keep that cert.

Many of the staff in my program have told me they've dropped the IM cert since many of them do pulm, crit, and sleep

I'm almost positive you don't have to maintain an IM cert after you've sat for your sub-specialty boards the FIRST time.

You just re-cert your sub-specialty on time to keep that cert.

Many of the staff in my program have told me they've dropped the IM cert since many of them do pulm, crit, and sleep

That was my understanding as well, which I think is a recent change in the rules. But I couldn't find anything to that effect in a quick review of the ABIM site.

Your answer is here:http://www.abim.org/moc/policies.aspx#participates

Bad news, dude. For sleep, you need to recert your core IM.

thanks.

I am going to give passing the IM recert exam this year my best shot. Sleep doesn't come up for renewal for me until 2017, so I guess as long as I pass IM by then I will be ok?

I don't think I am eligible to get certified in sleep under psych, since the grandfathering period is over (I did my sleep fellowship in 2002-2003, before it became an ACGME-certified fellowship. I was eligible for the ABIM sleep certification based on being certified by the old sleep board).

In a worst case scenario, I guess I can rely on my "old" sleep certification (diplmate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine) which never expires and is still accepted by medicare and most insurers. I don't think it will come to this, however

Regarding sleep, is it a specialty that is not exclusively owned by pulm / CC??

I hear of some neurology doing it and psych as above. Are there multiple ways other than pulm / CC to get into it?

I hear of some neurology doing it and psych as above. Are there multiple ways other than pulm / CC to get into it?

Multiple ways into sleep, but you've got to fellowship into it now.

Used to be finish a pulm/crit fellowship and work as a sleep doc - no more.

You can apply out of multiple specialties.

Neuro, Psych, Peds, IM (or any IM sub...usually Pulm though), FM and ENT.

I know a Neuro/Sleep person, a Peds/Sleep person (who sees adults) and several Pulm/Sleep folks.

Members don't see this ad :)
perioperative screening/management of sleep apnea. Upper airway management. Knowledge of ventilatory modalities (including BiPAP).

still don't see it :laugh:

none of those seem like the kind of things that would require a guy to do an extra year

well, sleep is kind of a feeding frenzy for now

we'll see what insurances and medicare/caid do in the next few years as it becomes obvious that most patients probably don't need in clinic sleep studies

still don't see it :laugh:

none of those seem like the kind of things that would require a guy to do an extra year

The extra year is to learn the rest of sleep medicine. Each underlying specialty brings something to the table. A psychiatrist may already know a lot about the evaluation and tx of insomnia, but would do a sleep fellowship to be able to expertly treat all the sleep disoders. I am guessing that many anesthesiologists who do sleep felllowships would then practice primarily sleep medicine and have a primarily outpt sleep medicine practice.

The extra year is to learn the rest of sleep medicine. Each underlying specialty brings something to the table. A psychiatrist may already know a lot about the evaluation and tx of insomnia, but would do a sleep fellowship to be able to expertly treat all the sleep disoders. I am guessing that many anesthesiologists who do sleep felllowships would then practice primarily sleep medicine and have a primarily outpt sleep medicine practice.

Of course. Everyone needs to get while the getting is still good.

Yes, and thinking ahead, you should plan to retake your sleep boards in 8 years (before they expire again) and you can get two sleep cycles from one IM cycle.

In fact, theres really no reason to recert IM now. You'd be better off waiting until 2015 (give yourself a buffer year), recert IM and then recert sleep twice off the 10 years from the IM cert.

I decided not to recert in IM.

In fact, theres really no reason to recert IM now. You'd be better off waiting until 2015 (give yourself a buffer year), recert IM and then recert sleep twice off the 10 years from the IM cert.

I decided not to recert in IM.

Found out a few days ago I passed the IM exam. I can't meet the other requirements (including quality/perfomance improvement project) before my certificate expires at the end of the year, but should be done with them by April 2013. I think I am just going to go ahead and take the sleep exam later in 2013-assuming it is offered in the fall- (while my knowledge base is still relatively fresh) and get it over with.
Then I can worry about recerting in psych (expires 2017)