What happens when a categorical at a 6 year program leaves??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

knife to me plz

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I was hoping someone can answer this question for me. I know that they made the new requirement that if you're a GS categorical, you cannot leave your home institution after your third year to complete a fellowship elsewhere.

I understand that part.

But what happens if a categorical at one of the 5 or 6 year categorical plastic surgery programs leaves? For example, lets say a plastics categorical leaves after their PGY-1 or 2 year. Is that spot up for grabs by anyone? If I'm a GS categorical at another institution and I hear of the opening, can I apply for it?

Currently applying to both PS and GS programs.

Thanks for any replies!!


PS

I've also been told by a number of people that the attrition rate at thesecategorical programs is as high as 25% in some years! How accurate is this figure?
 
I know residents at several integrated programs. The attrition rate is actually quite low. I couldn't quote a number, but 25% sounds spectacularly high. In the past, for a PGY 1-3 position, a resident at a equal or greater level of training in general surgery has been able to take the position, but they usually have to do some "make-up" work to get in the PGY 1-3 rotations that the Plastics residents did that they didn't complete in GenSurg. Positions for years 4-6 are often filled as a traditional spot, with someone who has completed GenSurg/Ortho/Oto. I think in both cases, the RRC has to approve the resident transferring into the program and the program's plan for the resident's training.
 
i agree that rate is high...i have heard of one person at our program leaving..maybe in the last 15 years or so....25% is more likely a general surgery number that you are thinking of...usually around 20%
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Starting in 2008, ALL plastic (including the 3 years of general surgery training) must be done at the same institution. Even if a PGY-1 leaves, according the to RRC, you cannot transfer to that institution because you cannot repeat a PGY-1 year, therefore you'd be in violation of the above rule.

The 20-30% attrition rate is, as mentioned, for general surgery. People dropping out of combined programs, while it happens, is a rare event nowadays. I think since the 80 hour week, it's getting less in general surgery as well. I don't know that's a good or bad thing, but it is what it is.

Regards,

--M
 
Starting in 2008, ALL plastic (including the 3 years of general surgery training) must be done at the same institution. Even if a PGY-1 leaves, according the to RRC, you cannot transfer to that institution because you cannot repeat a PGY-1 year, therefore you'd be in violation of the above rule.


Regards,

--M

Why can't someone repeat internship? I have a good friend who is currently repeating internship in a combined plastics program because he didn't match out of med school and did a prelim year.
 
Why can't someone repeat internship? I have a good friend who is currently repeating internship in a combined plastics program because he didn't match out of med school and did a prelim year.

Sorry...I should have clarified. You can become a PGY-1 categorical after doing a year as a prelim, but you can't be a "categorical" PGY anything more than once, except under some rare circumstances. The only time I'm aware that this can happen is when a categorical is made to repeat a year because of performance issues. This has to be documented and the resident is supposed to be notified 4 months before the end of the academic year (according to the ACGME rules) so that they may file a grievance if they wish.

For whatever reason they have, the ACGME doesn't recognize the preliminary year as part of a "complete GME program."

--M