What health profession should I pursue

Started by SN1
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SN1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly I don't think I shouldn't be posting in here but I don't want to post in a specific thread. I am currently a community college student who just finished my fourth semester trying to get an associate in chemistry. I have completed most of health-profession prerequisites but still not sure on what I want to do. Those classes that I have completed are:
gen chem I and II
gen bio I and II
organic chem I and II
Calculus I
gen physics I

I have also taken other classes such as history, english, economics, psychology, etc(total of 66 credits)

i have one more semester at the community college (fall 2011) to finish up calculus II and physics II and get an associate in chemistry. So far my gpa is a 4.0 overall. I will be transferring to rutgers university for spring 2012 to take on upper level science courses.

Now, the problem is that I am not sure what I want to do. All I have been thinking is to just finish up the prerequisites (since most health graduate schools have similar prereqs) and get good grades on them. I originally wanted to be a pharmacist but I worked there for 2 months and hated it. Now I am planning on becoming a dentist but I have never experienced what it is like to work as one(although I get my braces fitted every month and I got to see how they work i guess😕). I was also thinking of podiatry(you work with stinky feet all day? 🙁 , or optometry or even medical but I am not sure which one.

Please help me I don't want to graduate and be a high school chemistry or biology teacher.

thanks in advance.:laugh:
 
Last edited:
Honestly I don't think I shouldn't be posting in here but I don't want to post in a specific thread. I am currently a community college student who just finished my fourth semester trying to get an associate in chemistry. I have completed most of health-profession prerequisites but still not sure on what I want to do. Those classes that I have completed are:
gen chem I and II
gen bio I and II
organic chem I and II
Calculus I
gen physics I

I have also taken other classes such as history, english, economics, psychology, etc(total of 66 credits)

i have one more semester at the community college (fall 2011) to finish up calculus II and physics II and get an associate in chemistry. So far my gpa is a 4.0 overall. I will be transferring to rutgers university for spring 2012 to take on upper level science courses.

Now, the problem is that I am not sure what I want to do. All I have been thinking is to just finish up the prerequisites (since most health graduate schools have similar prereqs) and get good grades on them. I originally wanted to be a pharmacist but I worked there for 2 months and hated it. Now I am planning on becoming a dentist but I have never experienced what it is like to work as one(although I get my braces fitted every month and I got to see how they work i guess😕). I was also thinking of podiatry(you work with stinky feet all day? 🙁 , or optometry or even medical but I am not sure which one.

Please help me I don't want to graduate and be a high school chemistry or biology teacher.

thanks in advance.:laugh:

You're asking high school students which profession you should be doing😕

Shadow a podiatrist, dentist, and other professionals and see what you like. No one can tell you what you like.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You're asking high school students which profession you should be doing😕

Shadow a podiatrist, dentist, and other professionals and see what you like. No one can tell you what you like.

To be fair, posting in the high school thread doesn't necessarily mean that the OP only wanted high school responses. Let's not encourage posting in the wrong forums!

OP, shadow like Mahliah suggests.
 
Shadowing is definitely a great idea. Another thing you can do is take a look at the website to which I included a link. This has been helpful in my search for healthcare careers (I'm now looking at physician assistant), and it can help you narrow your choices. You can narrow them down based on salary and years of education needed. Good luck.

http://explorehealthcareers.org/en/careers/careers
 
To be fair, posting in the high school thread doesn't necessarily mean that the OP only wanted high school responses. Let's not encourage posting in the wrong forums!

OP, shadow like Mahliah suggests.


My aunt works as a medical assistant at an internal medicine practice. Should I ask to shadow there?
 
What are your plans for transferring into a 4 year college? Are you applying now? Already applied?

What made you choose a chemistry major? You know chemists do much more than just teach high school.

You seem to be blindly shooting in the dark for a profession that requires professional school that you like. Think about what kind of career you want and things that you currently enjoy.
 
What are your plans for transferring into a 4 year college? Are you applying now? Already applied?

What made you choose a chemistry major? You know chemists do much more than just teach high school.

You seem to be blindly shooting in the dark for a profession that requires professional school that you like. Think about what kind of career you want and things that you currently enjoy.

I want to work in medical field (DO, MD, DMD, DDS, DPM, whatever). I have 1 more semester left at the community college (fall 2011) then I will transfer to Rutgers for spring 2012.