What hotel is the closest to UIC-Chicago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faust

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone let me know about hotel accomodations, travel, and transportation at UIC. I have to go to an interview. However, I never been there so if you can chime in and shed some light on my situation, please do. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

there is a marriot right across the street on Ashland and Harrison st. search at Marriot.com

standup man said:
there is a marriot right across the street on Ashland and Harrison st. search at Marriot.com

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also - when you call the marriott to make reservations, tell them you are interviewing at the UIC medical school - they give you a pretty big discount (make sure to bring your interview invite letter with you).

I took a taxi from Chicago O'Hare to that hotel. Normally it costs $40, but if you tell the people at the taxi stand that you want to share a cab, it brings the cost down to about $20. There are shuttles as well that come to around $15 if I remember correctly, but I am not sure where that lets you off or how often they run.

keitaiKT said:
Also - when you call the marriott to make reservations, tell them you are interviewing at the UIC medical school - they give you a pretty big discount (make sure to bring your interview invite letter with you).

I took a taxi from Chicago O'Hare to that hotel. Normally it costs $40, but if you tell the people at the taxi stand that you want to share a cab, it brings the cost down to about $20. There are shuttles as well that come to around $15 if I remember correctly, but I am not sure where that lets you off or how often they run.

Oh thank you, great info keitaiKT, the marriot seems pricey though, is that the only hotel in the area? O'Hare sounds good, there are no non-stop flights to MDW.

Hmmm... when I was looking, there were some other ones, but nowhere near as close to the campus - I did one of those travelocity searches that list the hotels by distance from given addresses. Just type in the address of UIC, and it can search by distance for you. The UIC Marriott is a 5 minute walk from where you will interview, though. I decided that the extra I paid to stay at the marriott was worth it to avoid the stress of having to arrange transportation the morning of the interview... not to mention having to get back to the hotel FROM the interview to pick up my luggage before heading back to the aiport. Getting to the marriott from Midway is much easier than O'Hare (since it is much closer), but I also had the problem of not being able to get a direct flight! PM me if you have any other UIC questions!

i decided to stay by ohare, and take a shuttle to the airport and ride the blue line train all the way to the school. It will save you some money on taxi and you don't really have to worry about traffic. The downside of it is that you'll have to get up pretty early cause the blue line from the ohare to the school is about an hour. and the hotels by ohare are not as pricey as the marriot.

On a related note, how far of a walk is this Marriot from Rush? Thanks.

NapeSpikes said:
On a related note, how far of a walk is this Marriot from Rush? Thanks.
like five minutes, probably less.
walk.gif

If you want a cheaper hotel that's not in a questionable area, then I think the O'Hare suggestion is a good one. If it's a weekday morning interview, I would advise NOT taking a shuttle/taxi, as the traffic going into downtown will be crawling along 90/94. The Blue line will be faster, but it will indeed take an hour or so. Also, there are actually two Blue line routes, which split after downtown. Both will take you to the right area (IMD, where they split), but I believe the 54/Cermak Blue line will take you much closer to UIC or Rush (at the Polk stop). Check it out here: http://www.yourcta.com/maps/systemmaps.html

Same idea for Midway airport--cheaper but nice hotels are closer to the airport. The Orange line goes directly from the airport to downtown, where you'll have to make a transfer to the Blue line. Again, about an hour or so. I'm not sure how I-55 North is in the morning rush hour, but I believe it's not as bad as 90/94. So in this case taking a shuttle/taxi may be faster.

If it were me, I would actually stay at the youth hostel downtown. It looks quite nice from the outside. It's cheap ($35) and you just need to walk a few blocks to catch the Blue line in downtown. The ride will only be a couple stops--probably 15 minutes travel time. But if you're a light sleeper this may not be ideal. Check it out here: www.hichicago.org/

Good luck!

sanford_w/o_son said:
If you want a cheaper hotel that's not in a questionable area, then I think the O'Hare suggestion is a good one. If it's a weekday morning interview, I would advise NOT taking a shuttle/taxi, as the traffic going into downtown will be crawling along 90/94. The Blue line will be faster, but it will indeed take an hour or so. Also, there are actually two Blue line routes, which split after downtown. Both will take you to the right area (IMD, where they split), but I believe the 54/Cermak Blue line will take you much closer to UIC or Rush (at the Polk stop). Check it out here: http://www.yourcta.com/maps/systemmaps.html

Same idea for Midway airport--cheaper but nice hotels are closer to the airport. The Orange line goes directly from the airport to downtown, where you'll have to make a transfer to the Blue line. Again, about an hour or so. I'm not sure how I-55 North is in the morning rush hour, but I believe it's not as bad as 90/94. So in this case taking a shuttle/taxi may be faster.

If it were me, I would actually stay at the youth hostel downtown. It looks quite nice from the outside. It's cheap ($35) and you just need to walk a few blocks to catch the Blue line in downtown. The ride will only be a couple stops--probably 15 minutes travel time. But if you're a light sleeper this may not be ideal. Check it out here: www.hichicago.org/

Good luck!

Thanks for the love. This all has definately helped. Are you all chi town folks? I definitely will be using the blue line, it seems more convenient.

Faust said:
Thanks for the love. This all has definately helped. Are you all chi town folks? I definitely will be using the blue line, it seems more convenient.
im from a suburb of chicago but i went to uic. When were you complete at uic and around when is your interview date? i hope they still have some before the end of the year.