what i did to get into a competitive dental school with a 3.16 undergrad (c/o 2024)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_Dentist

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all pre dental students,

I figured id help a lot of you guys out, because I was in the same position as you guys, if not worst. I know everyone says that but im being completely honest, I had little to no chance to get into dental school. Listen to what I did if you are curious with a low gpa/DAT score and how to improve/perfect both of those things, even if you think there is no chance to snag an interview, just listen.

Freshman year of college: SEC school, 2014.
- I got into school, and immediately joined a fraternity and cared less about my grades, I was stoked I passed calculus with a C, I PASSED!! (that's all i cared about)
-finishing freshman year off with below a 2.5, I was put on probation.

Sophomore year
-It didn't bother me too much i was on probation, but i finished with a 3.3 the next year and was taken off of probation.
-Took a W in Microbiology and took it the next semester with a different teacher, still made a C.

summer
- realized my grades were trash, so this is the extracurricular i did that helped me insanely to get into dental school, it showed leadership
-ran for positions in 3 clubs, got 2 of them, founded a club, went on mission trips, did week long community service opportunities for MDA etc. etc. etc. I mean i went hard on getting leadership roles, and I did it because my grades were lacking, so I had to show something that could maybe intrigue an interview committee
take first DAT, only studied biology, didn't study right because there was no schedule to go by, and i need a schedule, TBH i needed someone to baby me on what to do each day, not someone saying "Just study these books" yeah, that doesn't help. and if you want to post on here and say " you shoulda had motivation etc etc." idc bc if you just studied for the dat on solely your own schedule, you're a god, but that's not me, or wasn't me. Made a 15.

junior year
-randomly took 19 credit hours and finished with a 3.8. IDK what it was but i went hard. took DAT again, made a 16.

senior year
-failed a class, had to retake during the spring to graduate. now, i thought, "i can only take DAT one more time, wtf am i doing." well i nutted up, applied for a masters program, got into it, took the DAT the next summer with IPREPDENTAL program and DATdestroyer when had extra time. Scores went up 10 points. literally the masters degree saved me, and of course iprepdental, which is probably the BEST DAT source out there. Finished with a 3.9 at masters program, it was a non thesis. So i got into dental school (a very completive SEC school with 65 spots) and never looked back.

All summed up...

-leadership roles, philanthropy events and extracurricular (professional schools don't like to see fraternity or sorority unless you were in a leadership position FYI)

-party hard but study harder, if you have below a 3.55, do a masters program and give uo your life for 1.5 years for your true dream of becoming a dentist to grind your ass off at school. Use every resource and wreck those classes, its hard, but you can do it. Im not naturally smart, but i grinded, i thought, way more than others. But i succeeded and that's all that matters. schools don't care about how long you studied, all they care about are the numbers on the paper (GPA and DAT) so don't wine that you study more than others, show your hard work with grades and bust your ass. I learned how to study in my masters program and surprisingly, my first semester, took a W. BUT i got off my ass, and stopped whining.

-DAT with IPREPDENTAL and DESTROYER for extra time. IPREPDENTAL is the best thing out there, you probably have never heard of it, and neither did i, but once i did, i snagged it and it helped me tremendously. They baby you. But they baby you to get a 20+ AA. by baby, i mean they give you an exact schedule, EXACT, and if you follow it and study with their tools than you will easily walk out with a 20, EASILY!!! DESTROYER is good for extra time but you have to learn the material before just getting destroyer, IPREPDENTAL has videos on everything the DAT covers, its ridiculous how helpful that program is. No, im not some BOT that types advertising for people, like orgoman (the savage) would say, but iprepdental is what you need for chemistry, orgo, and biology. PAT- patBooster MATH- all orogmans youtube videos and math destroyer READING: read a book, and use the highlighter part on the test.

WITH all that advice, one last thing. I was a senior with a 3.16 GPA and a 16 DAT score. It took me 1.5 yrs to change that, actually 2 semesters down i got an interview, so 1 year. IMAGINE THAT, now go put in that work and LMK if y'all have ANY Qs!!!!!!

*update: just changed handle so don't get confused
Old: iliketeeth1995
----------->
New: Dr_Dentist

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Please move this to the pre dental forum.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all pre dental students,

I figured id help a lot of you guys out, because I was in the same position as you guys, if not worst. I know everyone says that but im being completely honest, I had little to no chance to get into dental school. Listen to what I did if you are curious with a low gpa/DAT score and how to improve/perfect both of those things, even if you think there is no chance to snag an interview, just listen.

Freshman year of college: SEC school, 2014.
- I got into school, and immediately joined a fraternity and cared less about my grades, I was stoked I passed calculus with a C, I PASSED!! (that's all i cared about)
-finishing freshman year off with below a 2.5, I was put on probation.

Sophomore year
-It didn't bother me too much i was on probation, but i finished with a 3.3 the next year and was taken off of probation.
-Took a W in Microbiology and took it the next semester with a different teacher, still made a C.

summer
- realized my grades were trash, so this is the extracurricular i did that helped me insanely to get into dental school, it showed leadership
-ran for positions in 3 clubs, got 2 of them, founded a club, went on mission trips, did week long community service opportunities for MDA etc. etc. etc. I mean i went hard on getting leadership roles, and I did it because my grades were lacking, so I had to show something that could maybe intrigue an interview committee
take first DAT, only studied biology, didn't study right because there was no schedule to go by, and i need a schedule, TBH i needed someone to baby me on what to do each day, not someone saying "Just study these books" yeah, that doesn't help. and if you want to post on here and say " you shoulda had motivation etc etc." idc bc if you just studied for the dat on solely your own schedule, you're a god, but that's not me, or wasn't me. Made a 15.

junior year
-randomly took 19 credit hours and finished with a 3.8. IDK what it was but i went hard. took DAT again, made a 16.

senior year
-failed a class, had to retake during the spring to graduate. now, i thought, "i can only take DAT one more time, wtf am i doing." well i nutted up, applied for a masters program, got into it, took the DAT the next summer with IPREPDENTAL program and DATdestroyer when had extra time. Scores went up 10 points. literally the masters degree saved me, and of course iprepdental, which is probably the BEST DAT source out there. Finished with a 3.9 at masters program, it was a non thesis. So i got into dental school (a very completive SEC school with 65 spots) and never looked back.

All summed up...

-leadership roles, philanthropy events and extracurricular (professional schools don't like to see fraternity or sorority unless you were in a leadership position FYI)

-party hard but study harder, if you have below a 3.55, do a masters program and give uo your life for 1.5 years for your true dream of becoming a dentist to grind your ass off at school. Use every resource and wreck those ****ing classes, its hard as ****, but you can do it. Im not naturally smart, but i grinded, i thought, way more than others. But i succeeded and that's all that matters. schools don't care about how long you studied, all they care about are the numbers on the paper (GPA and DAT) so don't wine that you study more than others, show your hard work with grades and bust your ass. I learned how to study in my masters program and surprisingly, my first semester, took a W. BUT i got off my ass, stopped whining like a little bitch and made that program my bitch.

-DAT with IPREPDENTAL and DESTROYER for extra time. IPREPDENTAL is the best thing out there, you probably have never heard of it, and neither did i, but once i did, i snagged it and it helped me tremendously. They baby you. But they baby you to get a 20+ AA. by baby, i mean they give you an exact schedule, EXACT, and if you follow it and study with their tools than you will easily walk out with a 20, EASILY!!! DESTROYER is good for extra time but you have to learn the material before just getting destroyer, IPREPDENTAL has videos on everything the DAT covers, its ridiculous how helpful that program is. No, im not some BOT that types **** advertising for people, like orgoman (the savage) would say, but iprepdental is what you need for chemistry, orog, and science. PAT- patBooster MATH- all orogmans youtube videos and math destroyer READING: read a book, and use the highlighter part on the test.

WITH all that advice, one last thing. I was a senior with a 3.16 GPA and a 16 DAT score. It took me 1.5 yrs to change that, actually 2 semesters down i got an interview, so 1 year. IMAGINE THAT, now go put in that work and LMK if y'all have ANY Qs!!!!!!
Okay this gives me so much hope!!! I am pretty much on the same track as you (except I wasn’t in a frat). I am currently studying for the DAT using Iprep but I am still struggling with bio. How did you study for the bio section?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay this gives me so much hope!!! I am pretty much on the same track as you (except I wasn’t in a frat). I am currently studying for the DAT using Iprep but I am still struggling with bio. How did you study for the bio section?

bio is hard. I went from a 16 --> 24 with iprep. didn't make over a 19 on any practice test. I went a little hard, but i made flashcards for every single practice test for all science sections. Anything anyone would ask in the whatsapp, i would study it and learn it, and if i missed it on the practice test, i would review it in the bootcamp notes that same day. I was very eager to know what and why i got something wrong, I didn't wait until the next day to review my answers and write notecards, I did it that same day. I learned the bare minimum for taxonomy, but luckily had none on my exam. 1 week before my test i reviewed all of my notecards, ~3 days before my test i reviewed just the last exams. I forget what exams they were called but it was like the last section of the test. Study the questions, trust me. I knocked 20s in both chems. If you put your all into it, ask questions whenever you want to in the whatsapp, i always asked questions even if they were dumb, then someone will explain it to you. Also, I took about ~3-5 people out of the groupme and DMed them directly and we would help each other out. make a few friends in there and push each other. Last thing, I made a 14 in QR. Don't make a 14. Also, iprep was too hard in math to be learning that stuff 5 weeks in. I would recommend to do ~5 Iprep math test, watch shanis videos, watch all of organs videos, and order a math destroyer and do 60 problems a day. Learn them and highlight whatever you need to go back on in a specific color. I would DM shani all kinds of math problems, she would help me so much. Feel free to ask whatever you need more.

Hello, for the PAT portion, did you think iprep prepared you enough for it or would you recommend me getting PAT booster as well to practice?