Medical What if: Accepted off waitlist but the semester started at the school I am matriculating at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am fortunate to be accepted to a medical school this cycle and waitlisted at another. The program I was accepted to starts on July 6th, while the program I was waitlisted at starts in about August. If I was accepted off the waitlist when school starts, will it be possible for me to withdraw to accept the offer? I paid my matriculation fees by the way, and there is nothing on the admissions contract other than a rescission of admission if I was accepted to another graduate program during the enrollment period. Thanks!
My DO school has lost students who have been later accepted to our state MD school or other DO schools

But I believe that you can't go MD -> MD once classes start.

Members don't see this ad.

My DO school lost many students to the nearby MD schools. One student even left in the second semester after applying to MD schools the next cycle and gaining acceptance. Not sure how the tuition stuff works, but I think that you would be responsible for whatever you take. For example, the girl I was talking about would be responsible for a year of tuition at the DO school, plus 4 years at the MD school.

Depends on the specific schools. For example, as stated above, I had classmates who started school together, and 1, 2, 3 weeks later got in off waitlists and went to those schools. For all, since school already started, they could not get 100% tuition back (minus deposits), but the 1-2 were able to get partial back. On the other hand, there was another student who got in off the waitlist in week 4 at which point we already had taken quizzes, a practical or two, and an exam or 2. Because there exam grades in already, the school that offered basically rescinded as they didn't want anyone who had already started taking exams. I will say however, this was info passed onto me from the person in reference, but I can't verify the specifics as it may well be paraphrasing, maybe sarcasm or loose explanation, or even a game of telephone. So take that with a grain of salt and just know that there may be caveats to the place you're waitlisted at and/or from where you'd be leaving.

Professionally if it's among schools within an application group (AMCAS, AACOMAS, etc.), schools should refrain from poaching from each other. The traffic rules are designed for that. However this does not apply outside of each group (start podiatry and get an offer from med, or as described the DO student gets an offer from MD). As a show of professionalism, I expect but cannot enforce the student to stay once matriculated since budgets begin to be set, exams are given, and social bonds form. It is an issue of integrity for me to be worth your word and commitment, but it does happen unfortunately.

In short, I would say if you start, stay with the school when you start in July. If you get moved off the waitlist before orientation starts, it's your integrity and responsibility to let your original school know quickly so they can fill the seat. Remember someone else who wants to be a doctor depends on your honor in this process.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.