What if you went to nursing school first?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sneakfreak

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The problem is that I was a non-traditional student. I took the mcat twice, felt as though I studied hard but didn't do well...I did not have any money for a prep course. But my second mcat score told me that I need to get into one of these programs.

I have also struggled to find a job, even McDonalds will not hire me. This local college has this associate nursing program, and it only requires 68 credits to complete. Since I wanted to prepare for the mcat, one last tme, and I also want to gain some in-depth clinical exerience, I was thinking about doing this program.

I am not sure if entering this program will hurt my chances in the end. I could go to school to become a cna, but if so, what about becoming a RN?

Members don't see this ad.

I think clinical experience is very important for non trad applicant. Always good to have a plan B also. My MCAT score was avg. but I had worked in hospital for 4 yrs. Really helped alot. What have you been doing for a job thus far?

I have volunteered in the past, but was hoping to volunteer more after I have steady income. I graduated in May, and I was recently hired by a temp agency.

Still, I do not have a lot of clinical experience, and that is another reason I was thinking about nursing school. Also, I appled to three schools of podiarty, but believe that I may be taking this route too early.

I am not giving up on MD programs, but I feel as though the more time I am out of school, the more years I miss making a good income.

Members don't see this ad :)
it doesnt really make sense to go to nursing school unless you want to become a nurse. i was in a similar situation as you, and even considered nursing school for a while. i decided against it and instead got certified as an EMT, which opened up a lot of doors. i worked as an ER tech in 2 hospitals for a year, and got plenty of clinical experience. i found a graduate program in biomedical sciences at a local med school where i took classes similar to the first year of med school. i was able to work during the day and take classes at night. my mcat scores were nothing to brag about. During my inerview i was asked why i didnt retake them. I said i thought it was a waste of time to memorize physics equations when i could get awesome clinical experience during the day, and study anatomy, biochem, and pharm at night...things i will actually use in the future. this worked bc now i'm a first year med student at my first choice chool with a solid A average. i know the head start with the clinical experience will be really helpful in 2 years. the point is, if you really want to study medicine, then find a way to do it. someone gave me the same advice 2 years ago, and i'm glad i listened.

my alias said:
it doesnt really make sense to go to nursing school unless you want to become a nurse. i was in a similar situation as you, and even considered nursing school for a while. i decided against it and instead got certified as an EMT, which opened up a lot of doors. i worked as an ER tech in 2 hospitals for a year, and got plenty of clinical experience. i found a graduate program in biomedical sciences at a local med school where i took classes similar to the first year of med school. i was able to work during the day and take classes at night. my mcat scores were nothing to brag about. During my inerview i was asked why i didnt retake them. I said i thought it was a waste of time to memorize physics equations when i could get awesome clinical experience during the day, and study anatomy, biochem, and pharm at night...things i will actually use in the future. this worked bc now i'm a first year med student at my first choice chool with a solid A average. i know the head start with the clinical experience will be really helpful in 2 years. the point is, if you really want to study medicine, then find a way to do it. someone gave me the same advice 2 years ago, and i'm glad i listened.

great advice. i also strongly recommend doing emt training. it will be much more beneficial to spend a semester doing emt and working for a year and a half than spending two years in nursing school. plus, it looks really sketchy to adcoms if somebody straight out of nursing school is applying to med school. it's a waste of an RN, and a waste of training on an RN. you can also apply to PA schools after getting good work experience as an emt if you decide to go that route. and about that mcat, if you have the money, take the course, but if not, just find a way to get good study material. all you really need is good study material and strict study schedule. i hope you figure it all out. please stay away from nursing school. it is not the path to take if you ultimately want to be a doctor.

capt

captbadass said:
great advice. i also strongly recommend doing emt training. it will be much more beneficial to spend a semester doing emt and working for a year and a half than spending two years in nursing school. plus, it looks really sketchy to adcoms if somebody straight out of nursing school is applying to med school. it's a waste of an RN, and a waste of training on an RN. you can also apply to PA schools after getting good work experience as an emt if you decide to go that route. and about that mcat, if you have the money, take the course, but if not, just find a way to get good study material. all you really need is good study material and strict study schedule. i hope you figure it all out. please stay away from nursing school. it is not the path to take if you ultimately want to be a doctor.

capt
Sage advice.
However, don't totally discount nursing as a career too early. With mediocre numbers and no clinical time, is medicine really what you want?
I agree that chasing a nursing AD or BSN is a poor way to get into med school, but it is a path to a great career.
I'm now an MSII, but I was a paramedic and then a RN before applying. As an ED travel nurse I had a rewarding job with a pretty amazing income. I rarely came into contact with nursing hierarchy (read very sad, unfulfilled people), but I also NEVER dealt with a PhD who could shred a week of bitter memorization. Med school is what I wanted, but it is a tough game with a losing financial future.

Clock some time as a tech/phlebotomist or something before you jump into any of this.

Best of luck with your decisions and future.

Going to nursing school is a great idea and there are many nurses, EMTs, and medical phlebotimists/assistants in my class.

ndi_amaka said:
Going to nursing school is a great idea and there are many nurses, EMTs, and medical phlebotimists/assistants in my class.

i can assure you that you are putting yourself at a disadvantage in admissions if you go to nursing school and apply to med school directly after graduation. nursing school is not a logical step to becoming a doctor. if you want to be a nurse, then please go to nursing school. it isn't a step to becoming a medical doctor, though. nurses are healthcare professionals, while emts, phleobotomists, etc. are not. they are excellent fields to view the healthcare team in action. these jobs will give you a great idea of what you want out of a career in healthcare. i can almost guarantee that the nurses ndi amaka speaks of did not apply directly out of nursing school. do not do it because you think it will give you clinical experience and increase your chances. it does not increase your chances, and furthermore, you can get clinical experience that is just as good by becoming an emt for a fraction of the cost in time and money. bottom line: dont go to nursing school if your goal is to go to medical school.

At my undergrad school, the nursing classes were not in depth enough to help anyone prepare for the MCAT. They were not accepted as the required biology and chemistry classes at my medical school, either. RNs had to retake those classes and take the ones that are for actual biology and chemistry majors. So if you are looking to prepare for the MCAT by taking nursing classes, I strongly recommend reconsidering.
If I were you, I would ask any pre-med students that I know who have already taken the MCAT if I could borrow their old study materials. Most people don't use their prep books once the test is over. You may even be able to find used copies for cheap on sites like Amazon.com.

Good luck! It's a long journey but you'll get there!

I went to nursing school first and then went off to medschool. However, I went back after four years of working as an RN. I decided prior to undergrad that I would go into nursing and get my feet wet and see if medicine was for me. I did not want to do the biology route and go to medschool not knowing what I was getting into. I gained tons of experience as a nurse, which put me ahead of the pack in medschool. I breezed through third year clinicals and I actually taught workshops on IVs and other stuff. Now, I am finishing off my fourth year and getting ready to hit the interview trail. I can definitely say that my nursing experience has opened many doors with the program directors that I've talked to. The nursing background has helped me a lot overall; not only for medschool interviews but getting residency interviews as well. But, like someone mentioned previously, check with your pre-med advisors because a lot of the chemistries in nursing can't substitute for the pre-med stuff.