What if your Step 1 score is below the Avg. cut off?

Started by Alamanda
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Alamanda

Alamanda
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If your Step 1 score is less than 200, can a Step 2 score at or above 200 get u an interview? If your letters of Rec and all things else are above avg.
 
Alamanda said:
If your Step 1 score is less than 200, can a Step 2 score at or above 200 get u an interview? If your letters of Rec and all things else are above avg.

My step 1 score was below 200, but my step 2 score increased by 45 points. Crazy, but true. I was worried about interviews, but recieved plenty and matched at my number 1 choice--Mayo. Get good letters and work hard on your rotations--at home and away. You will do great!
 
denali459 said:
My step 1 score was below 200, but my step 2 score increased by 45 points. Crazy, but true. I was worried about interviews, but recieved plenty and matched at my number 1 choice--Mayo. Get good letters and work hard on your rotations--at home and away. You will do great!

Wow that is great! can you go over what you did to go up 45 points? Do you have any tips? taking step 2 soon and am worried
 
suzi said:
Wow that is great! can you go over what you did to go up 45 points? Do you have any tips? taking step 2 soon and am worried

Sure. First, I took it early, soon after I finished my 3rd year rotations. Everything was still fairly fresh and studying was more like reviewing. I studided during all of my rotations and did well on my chairman's exams. I used Crush, Boards and Wards, and did all the questions in Q-bank (including studying all the right and wrong answers).

I only studied about 2 weeks--I think my studying for step 1 was too intesnse and too long...I think people underestimate the power of peaking too early with knowledge.

Go into the test calm and confident. Knowing that I worked hard on my clinical rotations, I convinced myself that I knew enough to do well on the exam. I think my attitude toward the test was the biggest factor.

I'd be happy to help you with more questions (or encouragement). Good luck!