What in the World is co-signing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jiller1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of obtaining all my LORs for the upcoming cycle, and have decided that the best non-science LOR I could get that would not be a basic, template LOR would come from my film TA. However, I understand a co-signature is quite valuable, but I don't know what this means exactly.

Does this mean he signs as the professor and gets the professor to sign?
Do the professor and TA both write their names and both sign?
Whos name comes first?

The TA did say he could do it so that the professor put his name on it exclusively, but I feel that if somebody is writing about me, they deserve to have their name represented somewhere.

Can I get a pointer?

Thank you and much love
-from the warm Cali weather

Members don't see this ad.

It's pretty standard to have someone who knows you well within a system or organization write the letter themselves and then send it to the head honcho (in this case the professor, in lab scenarios, the PI) to have it edited slightly and signed. I wouldn't feel bad about asking for only the professor's name on it - I'm sure the TA has been in this situation before (either on the recipient or the writer side).

The TA did say he could do it so that the professor put his name on it exclusively, but I feel that if somebody is writing about me, they deserve to have their name represented somewhere.
I doubt they'd care.

They've probably been in your position as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had cosigned letters; didn't seem to be a problem.