Letter of Rec by PhD graduate Co-sign by PI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LunarPhoenix42

Reaction score
I worked at a lab for a year, put in a lot of work and ended up being on a publication. My PhD student mentor who graduated when I left, worked along side me every single day, expressed how impressed he was with my work regularly, and got to know my overall goals and learned more about as a person outside of just research as well, and I know for a fact would write an excellent letter of rec for me.

My PI also values me, but knows a lot less about me and worked a lot less closely with me. Would it be a good idea for my PhD student to write this LOR and just have my PI Co-sign it, or would it not be weighted as heavily?

Members don't see this ad.

I am/was in a similar situation as you! SDN’s consensus was that only the PI should write the letter. Or at the very minimum, be signed/co-written by the PI.

Here’s the post:

Though I will add that, if you do end up opting for co-writing, try to get someone other than a PhD student. A LOR should come from a person of authority who was assessing or grading you in some way. To me, a PhD candidate is more akin to a classmate then a figure of authority. (Someone pls correct me if I am wrong!).

Last edited:
My PI also values me, but knows a lot less about me and worked a lot less closely with me. Would it be a good idea for my PhD student to write this LOR and just have my PI Co-sign it, or would it not be weighted as heavily?
This is fine (unless you are applying for MSTP).

Reactions: 1 user