What is a 35 good for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninjaSurgeon

I'll cut for free...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my scores back. Although I know a 35O (PS14, VR09, BS12) is not a bad score, I don't feel that it's a good score compared what everyone else has here.

I am applying to a good number of mid-range schools, but I don't know if I am good enough for top schools. I know med school admission is not a one-dimensional thing, but I do need some realistic ideas about where I could get in.

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to What are my Chances.

Your MCAT doesn't really tell us anything without also your GPA and relevant ECs. It's good enough to be competitive at every school in the country with maybe the exception of WashU, assuming the rest of your application is equally stellar.

I just got my scores back. Although I know a 35O (PS14, VR09, BS12) is not a bad score, I don't feel that it's a good score compared what everyone else has here.

I am applying to a good number of mid-range schools, but I don't know if I am good enough for top schools. I know med school admission is not a one-dimensional thing, but I do need some realistic ideas about where I could get in.

Not everyone is out to brag about their scores, so I am inclined to acquiest your request.

It would appear that your verbal skills are a bit behind your peers. However, with a strong PS and showcasing of your communication skills during the interview process, I believe this flaw can be over looked. With that said, a 35O will not hold you back from ANY schools.

Considering that is all the info I have about you, this is where I must stop, BUT first, let me offer you some inspiration:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

Used by Nelson Mandela in his 1994 inaugural speech

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
desiderata.gif

-- written by Max Ehrmann in the 1920s --
Not "Found in Old St. Paul's Church"! -- see below

[SIZE=+1]Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love,
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is as perennial as the grass. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.[/SIZE]​

Once you have a 35 or more, it all depends on other aspects of your application. It's a score that's competitive for just about all schools except maybe WashU.

A 35 and $3.50 will buy you a cafe latte...

lol

but-- that's a good score

Once you have a 35 or more, it all depends on other aspects of your application. It's a score that's competitive for just about all schools except maybe WashU.

Oops, that's my top choice. Then again, that's everyone's top choice.

^
not everyones top choice but a great school none the less...

op, a 35O is going to open a lot of doors for you. but dont think its the golden ticket. there are still other variables at play.

however, i think you should apply to some reach schools (maybe 20-30%of the schools you apply to)

Hope for the best, but prepare for anything. Give it a shot at some of the higher schools that interest you, but don't forget to have some solid shots in there as well. Really, there's no way to tell where you are going to end up since the application process can be so random!

Advice on this thread is mute until you give us a GPA and EC breakdown. A 35 MCAT and a 2.3 GPA will get you into WashU, but probably in the kitchen.