What is a competitive GPA?

Started by Jula
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jula

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering what is a competitive gpa to be accepted in PT school? I have an overall of 3.71 and a pre-req of 3.67.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
3.5 and above is competitive, just depends. I am positive yours is competitive, but make sure the rest of your app is in order
 
As long as your overall GPA is >3.0, I don't think there's much difference between a 3.0 and a 3.5 or 3.6.

Get that pre-req GPA >3.5 and you'll have a chance at most schools.

Kevin
 
I believe that is more than competitive! I have a 3.66 overall GPA and a 3.45 pre-req GPA and I have been accepted to University of Indianapolis, UTHSC Memphis, and Nova. I think the rest of your application needs to be well-rounded with extra-curriculars and observation hours in various settings. Also, its nice to have a reason for wanting to go to a school. For example, Memphis is home to me. My dad lives in Indy. And the PT I went to for years who served as my role model went to Nova. I think its nice to have a reason to stand out from hundreds of applicants as to why you want to be somewhere. It comes up in interviews or essays : )
 
As long as your overall GPA is >3.0, I don't think there's much difference between a 3.0 and a 3.5 or 3.6.

Get that pre-req GPA >3.5 and you'll have a chance at most schools.

Kevin

Hey Kevin, do you really think this is true? If it is, that is awesome! I always have done decently in college, but it wasn't until my last 2 years that I really pushed myself and did very well. Basically full time job (36 hours a week) and all those tired excuses. So I was able to manage a 3.2 overall but my prerequisite is much higher. Just under 3.9.

I guess what I'm curious about is why you say that there's not much difference in those overall GPAs. Thank you!
 
I agree with Kevin. My cGPA is below 3.5 but my pre-req is over. I'm getting interviews at my top choice schools. There's no magic number or formula for acceptance. If 3.5 were the cut off I'd be getting rejected errrywhere.
 
Thank you so much for the responses! Well I know I really need more hours since I only have 15. And I haven't taken the GREs yet too.