What is a competitve GPA?????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nefermaat

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
well, im a freshman @ UC Berkeley, and i just got back my grades for 1st sem. - i got a 3.57 - is this bad for a first time out , and will i need to raise it to have a chance to get in by the time i'm a 4th year.

btw, i got screwed in calculus - i got a b, thats why my gpa got lowered - my dumb suitemates in my dorm wouldnt shut up the night before my test, so i only got to sleep from 4-7 the "night" before the final - which started at 8 - at least i didnt get a c

Members don't see this ad.

yeeeesh take it easy!!! dude! I got a C in my calculus class first quarter at college, and I still got accepted to medical school. I worked hard and bumped my gpa to a solid 3.73 (freshman quarter it was 3.22)...

stop panicking, med school's are aware that it is ur first quarter and they look for improvement :oops: )

3.65 is very competitive, but 3.7+ is the sweetspot. 3.8 is elite territory, especially for berkeley!

Members don't see this ad :)
3.57 first semester is fine. If this is your first semester... I have advice.... and you are not going to listen.... but one day you will wish that you did. If you want to enjoy undergrad.... dont stress about every single test and every single class and every single grade. When you look back on your undergrad ... you will have wanted to enjoy it...and the difference between a 3.7 and 3.8 is not worth it. By the way, 3 hours of sleep before a final is fine. Anyway.... enjoy and do well... but dont kill yourself over grades.... it isnt worth it. If you re enjoying yourself....a 3.57 is perfectly fine. Most people do their worst in their first semester. The only time that my advice should be ignored is when the MCAT comes around. Take that seriously! That is a test that matters more than 2 years of undergrad. Hope you dont take my advice as an insult. Good luck.

Keep in mine the average GPA for accepted applicants is a 3.5....actually I think that is a great GPA to start out with. Many people do very poorly their first semester at college--so you are ahead of the game. Just keep aiming high....you will be absolutely fine. Good luck.