" What is a DO? "

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATTT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if someone who never heard of "DO" asks you, what would you say in common and simple language?

How does it different from MD?

I have some trouble answering these questions. I know DO branch off from MD.
Can someone please answer my questions?

Members don't see this ad.

"
go to www.google.com. type in osteopathic medicine/DO. you will get more information than you'll be willing to read
"

You didn't answer my question. How would you explain to someone in 1 or 2 sentences about "What is a DO?" (i.e, if you were asked.)

Members don't see this ad :)
"
"

You didn't answer my question. How would you explain to someone in 1 or 2 sentences about "What is a DO?" (i.e, if you were asked.)
Are you asking because you want to use it for your interview? I would do the research, go onto google, and formulate an answer that makes sense to you. There are one to two sentence definitions of what a DO is.

By your statement "I know that DO branch off of MD," it signifies that you haven't done enough research. Please google it or go to osteopathic websites, www.osteopathic.org. Even school websites have definitions. Best of luck.

you can tell them that a DO is an MD that didn't do so hot in undergrad or on the mcats :laugh:

To someone that has never heard of a DO I simply say:

MD's and DO's are essentially the same thing. They're different schools of thought, but you get the same training, the same responsibilities and privlidges and can have the same residencies. The only real difference is that DO's get trained in Manipulation.

This is usually enough for most people to grasp the concept.

Are you asking because you want to use it for your interview? I would do the research, go onto google, and formulate an answer that makes sense to you. There are one to two sentence definitions of what a DO is.

By your statement "I know that DO branch off of MD," it signifies that you haven't done enough research. Please google it or go to osteopathic websites, www.osteopathic.org. Even school websites have definitions. Best of luck.

Thanks for your input.Really appreciated.
I am in great delama. I have 3.9 gpa with 25 mcat (7V-8P-10B).
I am kind of fed up with taking mcat. I studied the whole summer and didn't get the score I wanted to get.
I am 22 now and I don't want to waste any more time. I got into medical school in my native country when I was 16. However, my family decided to come to US. Now, after six long years, I am still not even close to becoming a doctor. :(

I don't want to wait 1 year and take MCAT again.
I am applying for DO and people ask me what is a "DO", and I have trouble explaining to them.

if someone who never heard of "DO" asks you, what would you say in common and simple language?

this is a cut and paste of a post I made last year on the subject....

If you think the person won't give a $hit what you say...and will have their pre-conceived notions no matter what...then just tell them you do all the same stuff and make the same money (the $$ is what most lay people actually care about...)

If you really want to educate someone..and that someone really wants to listen.....I find that it is best to start out with the similarities and then go into the differences.

I usually start off by stating that
1. most people don't realize that there are 2 medical degrees in the country

2. Both MD's and DO's work side-by-side doing the same jobs and making the same money.

3. DO's have more of a primary care/patient centered focus vs. the research/technology focus of the majority of MD schools, however DO's don't have to be primary care and can/do specialize in whatever they want.

4. DO's learn a form of hands-on musculoskeletal medicine that can be used to treat many common problems such as back pain, muscle pains and headaches. They are also trained from Day 1 to be able to diagnose musculoskeletal problems with their hands.

5. DO's can choose to not practice with the parts that make them distinct from MD's and many do just that...ie their is no distinction in practice with many MD's/DO's. There are certain specialties where the distinct parts of Osteopathic Medicine are really prevalent, ie Sports Med, PM&R and Family Practice.

6. In the end it is up to the individual person how much they follow Osteopathic ideals/techniques...but they, at the minimum, are Physicians and are trained and licensed to do everything that people are used to Doctors doing.

This is the model of "the schpiel" that I have found most effective with people. Some people really won't care what you have to say and will forever believe that only MD's are Doctors....ignorance is bliss for some...not much else you can say....just don't get upset about it. You can recommend to those people that next time they are in the hospital they take a look at the wall where it lists all the Doctors names and next to it (if they list degrees...some just say Doc for MD/DO) they should see some DO's. The best is when people come back to you and say something along the lines of "I had no idea that my Doctor that I've been going to for all these years, and really like, is a DO...I guess they are real Doctors".

Just don't get frustrated....not everyone is as into the healthcare professions as much as us....even I didn't know what a DO was until sophomore year of college....

I am kind of fed up with taking mcat. I studied the whole summer and didn't get the score I wanted to get.
I am 22 now and I don't want to waste any more time. I got into medical school in my native country when I was 16. However, my family decided to come to US. Now, after six long years, I am still not even close to becoming a doctor. :(

I am applying for DO and people ask me what is a "DO", and I have trouble explaining to them.
For DO schools, your MCAT hovers around average and your GPA is well above average, so it sounds like you're a solid applicant, though I do not know about your ECs. I would apply now and apply to a bunch of places.

It's imperative that you apply now. I think you need to do some research to get a good grasp on osteopathic medicine. At that point, coming up with a short definition would be easier. I suggest you read "The DOs" by Norman Gevitz. After reading that, I had a good grasp of the history and its progression since its inception. Best of luck.

If you get things done promptly, it may only be another year before you're in medical school. Be vigilant! :)

this is a cut and paste of a post I made last year on the subject....

If you think the person doesn't won't give a $hit what you say...and will have their pre-conceived notions no matter what...then just tell them you do all the same stuff and make the same money (the $$ is what most lay people actually care about...)

If you really want to educate someone..and that someone really wants to listen.....I find that it is best to start out with the similarities and then go into the differences.

I usually start off by stating that
1. most people don't realize that there are 2 medical degrees in the country

2. Both MD's and DO's work side-by-side doing the same jobs and making the same money.

3. DO's have more of a primary care/patient centered focus vs. the research/technology focus of the majority of MD schools, however DO's don't have to be primary care and can/do specialize in whatever they want.

4. DO's learn a form of hands-on musculoskeletal medicine that can be used to treat many common problems such as back pain, muscle pains and headaches. They are also trained from Day 1 to be able to diagnose musculoskeletal problems with their hands.

5. DO's can choose to not practice with the parts that make them distinct from MD's and many do just that...ie their is no distinction in practice with many MD's/DO's. There are certain specialties where the distinct parts of Osteopathic Medicine are really prevalent, ie Sports Med, PM&R and Family Practice.

6. In the end it is up to the individual person how much they follow Osteopathic ideals/techniques...but they, at the minimum, are Physicians and are trained and licensed to do everything that people are used to Doctors doing.

This is the model of "the schpiel" that I have found most effective with people. Some people really won't care what you have to say and will forever believe that only MD's are Doctors....ignorance is bliss for some...not much else you can say....just don't get upset about it. You can recommend to those people that next time they are in the hospital they take a look at the wall where it lists all the Doctors names and next to it (if they list degrees...some just say Doc for MD/DO) they should see some DO's. The best is when people come back to you and say something along the lines of "I had no idea that my Doctor that I've been going to for all these years, and really like, is a DO...I guess they are real Doctors".

Just don't get frustrated....not everyone is as into the healthcare professions as much as us....even I didn't know what a DO was until sophomore year of college....

wow.... just want I needed. Really nice post. Thank you so much. I gain a new insight reading this.

For DO schools, your MCAT hovers around average and your GPA is well above average, so it sounds like you're a solid applicant, though I do not know about your ECs. I would apply now and apply to a bunch of places.

It's imperative that you apply now. I think you need to do some research to get a good grasp on osteopathic medicine. At that point, coming up with a short definition would be easier. I suggest you read "The DOs" by Norman Gevitz. After reading that, I had a good grasp of the history and its progression since its inception. Best of luck.

If you get things done promptly, it may only be another year before you're in medical school. Be vigilant! :)

As for EC, I have 100 hours of volunteer in Emergency Room and over a year of research in chemistry.

Since I learned about DO not too long ago, I have some problems finding a DO to shadow.

Thanks for your input. I will try to search Gevitz and read about it to get more insight.

If you're looking for the philosophical differences between osteopathic and allopathic heres what I've been saying in my interviews in really short simple language (i think). Plz noone be angry if i over-simplify!

1. DO has "holistic" (you'll hear that word a million times) approach which essentially is a thought that every system of the body in interconnected and affects one another - kinda a fix one part and the others will follow thought

2. DO's have focus on primary care and serving underserved populations but you can go into any specialty anywhere if u want.

3. DO's have a focus on musculoskeletal system and its relation to overall health

4. Manipulation (OMT,OMM) is a unique technique used in SOME circumstances only by DO's not MD's. If you're a neurosurgeon you'll never use this, if you are in primary care it can be useful.

5. DO's have a focus on preventative care (people dont mention this a lot but i feel its important). A good analogy used by one of my schools is that an MD will send a patient with back pain home with an NSAID and a pain med and hope the patient feels better, a DO will give the same NSAID and pain med but also try another technique (perhaps manipulation) to keep it from reoccuring.

6. If you are really really interested in medical research then MD is probably a better pick although research is increasing in osteopathic schools.

At the end of the day MD's and DO's are both doctors, they receive excellent and almost identical training (except OMM) in both types of schools, and you'll be able to be whatever you want no matter where you go as long as you are willing to put in the work while at the med school. No matter which you go into med school will be what YOU make of it.

1 DO Negative - You have to explain to everyone you meet who is NOT a physician what a DO is!

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=06672

Osteopaths put the "DO" back in doctor

You don't see "MD" in there, do you?:D

Members don't see this ad :)

You sound like a good applicant for DO schools. Definitely apply. I was in a similiar boat; my MCAT score is around what you scored. Now I am glad to be studying as a future physician at NYCOM. :cool:

I usually start off by saying "Actually, there are two schools of medicine in this country: allopathic, which grant MD's and osteopathic, which grant DO's. Most people don't know about DO's, but if you go to any hospital and look at the names of physicians, you'll start to notice every once in a while, there will be a DO mixed in with the MD's." I also mention DO's are fully licensed to do everything an MD can do - surgery, meds, etc.

DOs are losers that could not get into to a real medical school.

my sister-in-law who is a nurse didn't know what a DO was

i was kinda surprised.

i didn't know either until a year or two ago though.

I would tell them DO is short for DOctor. And if someone questions it while you are practicing, show them your pay stub,that will let them know your real

you can tell them that a DO is an MD that didn't do so hot in undergrad or on the mcats :laugh:

I know that you meant this in jest, but I'm always sort of offended by these kinds of answers. There are plenty of us on this board who rocked the MCAT and would be competitive at both DO and MD schools. I personally applied to both and am going to pick the school that I feel will help me become the best doctor. Even though the overall averages are in fact lower for DO schools, not all of us fall into that catagory.

To someone that has never heard of a DO I simply say:

MD's and DO's are essentially the same thing. They're different schools of thought, but you get the same training, the same responsibilities and privlidges and can have the same residencies. The only real difference is that DO's get trained in Manipulation.

This is usually enough for most people to grasp the concept.

Yup, that sums it up.

At my college, one of the interviewers (in the pre-medical committee) asked someone once what the difference was between an MD and a DO. This person went on and on about how DO's had a different approach and blah blah blah, you know, what we have all read while doing research online.

The professor told him he was very wrong, that there was basically no difference, except in the title.

The guy's an MD, by the way.

this question is always asked. to tell you the truth there is no difference between MD and DO. what i always tell people is that you just have two different letter behind your name. IF you have a patient complaining of a headache a DO would look to see if the headache is accociated with anything in the body such as muscle cramps in the neck etc. An MD might also do that but he/she would most likely just give you Tylenol

You know I cant remember who said it but it was a famous quote on SDN:
goes something like this......

You: You know how a doctor performs medicine?
Them : Yeah...takes these pills and call me in the morning
You: A D.O. says here takes these pills and a nice backrub and call me in the morning:laugh: :laugh: