What is a GMO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrojanMan48

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched through the forums, and I can't figure out exactly what a GMO is. Is it a military specialty? What exactly do they do in the military?

Members don't see this ad.

TrojanMan48 said:
I've searched through the forums, and I can't figure out exactly what a GMO is. Is it a military specialty? What exactly do they do in the military?

General medical officer. Basically its a doctor in the military that has not gone through residency. I dont know for sure but I think this is most prevelant in the Navy, where a lot of HPSP take a 2 year GMO stint before residency. Beyond that, I cant help ya... sorry =/

UCBShocker said:
General medical officer. Basically its a doctor in the military that has not gone through residency. I dont know for sure but I think this is most prevelant in the Navy, where a lot of HPSP take a 2 year GMO stint before residency. Beyond that, I cant help ya... sorry =/

yea, thats it....the USAF uses it also for their flight med docs; go figure that the usaf would use docs with the least experience to treat thier most prized poessions...pilots and thier families.

Members don't see this ad :)
USAFdoc said:
yea, thats it....the USAF uses it also for their flight med docs; go figure that the usaf would use docs with the least experience to treat thier most prized poessions...pilots and thier families.

I never thought of it that way.....but so true....and sad...

USAFdoc said:

I thought the AF's most prized possessions were there golf courses and O Clubs ;) Does the air force not have a aerospace medicine residency like the navy to also take care of the pilots? just curious.

GMO's are most prevelant in the Navy at this point in time as the Air Force and Army have pretty much gotten rid of the program; however, the Navy continues to require the GMO tour (1-3 years depending on assignment) for almost all it's physicians before residency. There are some who go "straight through" w/out the GMO tour (high competitiveness residency=GMO tour).

The options in the Navy for GMO are Flight Surgeon (go to flight school), Undersea Medicine (I believe you go to dive school, but not sure) or plain ole GMO/"doc-in-a-box". Undersea you deal with the submarine/dive community, flight = flight community, regular GMO you're usually assigned to a large ship (Carrier or LHA) or possibly a clinic somewhere.