What is a "gunner"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssik

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please explain the term "gunner". Is this a person who studies all on their own and does not involve themselves in the group? Is this a person who sabotages others just to get ahead? I see this term used from time to time and I must admit I don't exactly know what it means. All I know is that it has a negative connotation.

Members don't see this ad.

Please explain the term "gunner". Is this a person who studies all on their own and does not involve themselves in the group? Is this a person who sabotages others just to get ahead? I see this term used from time to time and I must admit I don't exactly know what it means. All I know is that it has a negative connotation.

gunner = turbo

he/she shoots other people down so they can raise him/herself up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did a little more searching for fun stuff on this. Seems like there are some parody youtube videos on gunners. I don't have any sound on this computer but it sure looked funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYIS3CI7xTM

A gunner is somewhat that professes not to have studied at all, but who in reality spends every waking second doing just the contrary.

gunners ftl

Gunners will do what ever it takes to get into a specialty even if it means throwing a classmate under the bus. We have a few here but thanks to PBL it is a lot more difficult to be a gunner and so there aren't as many around.:D

A gunner is somewhat that professes not to have studied at all, but who in reality spends every waking second doing just the contrary.

Hahaha, that's exactly it.

To me, gunners are the most cut throat people in a class. They are the first to raise their hands to make comments, the first to raise their hands to correct the teacher, and the last people to leave the lecture hall after every class. They are the kind of people who intentionally mislead fellow classmates with information to get themselves ahead. Oh, and what doc toothache said.

Members don't see this ad :)
hopefully the gunner variety is mostly found in the med school environment, after all, that is where the name originates from.

i am sure that there will be several in each dental school class though. but hopefully they will "Get It" after awhile and understand that kind of **** does not fly with others. on the other hand, if they are in dschool and still dont "Get It", then there probably is no hope for them.

I am curious to know from D1 and D2's, how many gunners are in your class?

Someone who constantly goes to clubs, parties, shindigs ect. to get laid. A gunner always goes for the hot chicks. He always brings along a wing man to help him get a chick. The wing man makes sure the gunner gets the hot chick.

Haha. Anyway, I agree with Doc Toothache's definition.

Obsessed or dedicated??? its funny how changing a term can alter the meaning so much....

A gunner is often a person who puts in significant time and effort and scores better then his/her peers. Sometimes dedicated students are branded by angry peers often tho an individual will use less ethical tatics to stay on top and deserves the title.

"If you want to be the best you have to work the hardest" (Mark Millon)

"Obsessed is just a term that the lazy use to describe the dedicated" (unknown)

"Satisfaction is the death of desire" (hatebreed)

it really comes down to your ideology, are you in this to be the best? or are you in it for another reason??? Often gunners have something to prove (to themselves or others).

Obsessed or dedicated??? its funny how changing a term can alter the meaning so much....

A gunner is often a person who puts in significant time and effort and scores better then his/her peers. Sometimes dedicated students are branded by angry peers often tho an individual will use less ethical tatics to stay on top and deserves the title.

"If you want to be the best you have to work the hardest" (Mark Millon)

"Obsessed is just a term that the lazy use to describe the dedicated" (unknown)

"Satisfaction is the death of desire" (hatebreed)

it really comes down to your ideology, are you in this to be the best? or are you in it for another reason??? Often gunners have something to prove (to themselves or others).

I agree.

There are people who are dedicated and focused, and will do well in school, and in their profession, who should not be confused with "gunners".

I think a "gunner" is different because they only care about test scores or merit, and have trouble functioning outside the classroom. They will do whatever it takes (even unethical behavior) to achieve that a certain score. It seems more of a mental problem, or they need to satisfy something.

Hahaha, that's exactly it.

To me, gunners are the most cut throat people in a class. They are the first to raise their hands to make comments, the first to raise their hands to correct the teacher, and the last people to leave the lecture hall after every class. They are the kind of people who intentionally mislead fellow classmates with information to get themselves ahead. Oh, and what doc toothache said.

I might also add that gunners are the folks who appear congenial enough to ask questions but never provide real help when you do inquire them. We have some in our class that appear to have a lot of bonhommie but when you send them emails or ask them questions, either you get nothing or get an evasive answer.

i thought it was worth mentioning that a gunner is also a position in football during punting on special teams. the gunner gets to tackle the punt returner. he is split out wide, almost on an island, separated from the rest of his team. if he is real legit at his job he gets mad props and makes tons of highlight tapes. hence the name numba-one-gunna. this clip demonstrates...watch the guy in blue that starts on the very bottom of the screen between the 30 and 40 yard line:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKkHKytELIw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKkHKytELIwhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKkHKytELIw

I guess I misunderstood the meaning of the term. I always thought it was somebody who was very smart and did exceedingly well on all of their exams. I never thought of them as throwing others under the bus. I'll be carful now how I use the term gunner. I thought it was a positive remark about somebody.:laugh:

I guess I misunderstood the meaning of the term. I always thought it was somebody who was very smart and did exceedingly well on all of their exams. I never thought of them as throwing others under the bus. I'll be carful now how I use the term gunner. I thought it was a positive remark about somebody.:laugh:

Its just a term, how you use it reflects if its a positive or negative. Its not that formal lol.

Yea, I always thought a gunner was someone who's a go-getter...always on top of their **** and makes the grades.

A sniper on the other hand, is like a gunner but underhanded...will go out of their way to make others look bad just so they can stand out and look better in front of professors.

Yea, I always thought a gunner was someone who's a go-getter...always on top of their **** and makes the grades.

A sniper on the other hand, is like a gunner but underhanded...will go out of their way to make others look bad just so they can stand out and look better in front of professors.

never heard of "sniper" but i'd have to agree with this. :laugh: there is nothing wrong with working hard and earning the grades. some ppl automatically call students who study all day and are the curve breakers, gunners, but its not like they did anything wrong. so then the snipers are the ones you need to worry about because they have gunner mentality but are lil b*tches about it.

gunner is a negative term.

If you hear a classmate call you a gunner, take it as an insult.

Also, remember that in dental school, you'll have to meet requirements for graduation. Do you really think your classmates are going to refer you the 4 unit bridge you need to graduate after you crapped on them for the first 2 years of school?

These are professional relationships you'll keep for the rest of you life, being labeled as a gunner may very well close as many doors as you think it will open.

i am considering names for my dog that i am gettign after thanksgiving..."gunner" has a nice ring to it....:D

i am considering names for my dog that i am gettign after thanksgiving..."gunner" has a nice ring to it....:D

you're getting a dog before you start dental school??? bad idea

I might also add that gunners are the folks who appear congenial enough to ask questions but never provide real help when you do inquire them. We have some in our class that appear to have a lot of bonhommie but when you send them emails or ask them questions, either you get nothing or get an evasive answer.

you think so? I guess one or two...but most people I think are pretty nice. We generally have good comradery...

I think a gunner = shoots others down (or doesn't help those around him) to elevate himself. I think you can be studious/on top of your stuff without being a gunner. A rising tide lifts all boats. ;)

you're getting a dog before you start dental school??? bad idea

you are making no income for 4 years while living in the one of the most expensive cities in the US??? bad idea

hahaha, just kidding lopey. as for the dog, it pretty much depends on where i get into school...

you are making no income for 4 years while living in the one of the most expensive cities in the US??? bad idea

hahaha, just kidding lopey. as for the dog, it pretty much depends on where i get into school...

I have a sugar mama!!! booyah.

Get a little dog if your going to be away all day. Or get a big dog and have a yard.

Man, I miss my dogs!!

Hahaha! You're right, that does have a nice ring to it.

"trigger" is also a good name for the dog.

You could be gunner and trigger.

you think so? I guess one or two...but most people I think are pretty nice. We generally have good comradery...

I think a gunner = shoots others down (or doesn't help those around him) to elevate himself. I think you can be studious/on top of your stuff without being a gunner. A rising tide lifts all boats. ;)

On the surface, sure, most people are nice. But that's the definition of bonhommie. The real faces start showing up in detailed interactions. I obviously won't go into it here for obvious reasons, but let's just say that I have seen more than a few folks in our class that are of this sort. Cool and all congenial in class, little real help when you needed. But this is good in a way--you get to find out who your real friends are.