What is a humbling experience ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sekem

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some schools ask about explaining "your most humbling experience "

What is that supposed to be?

Members don't see this ad.

When you lose your Junior High Soccer game because you got a ball the the groin and had to sit out.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

When you organized a team of about 10 researchers in a daylong circadian rhythm study, in order to measure the diurnal fluctuations of a certain hormone, but because you pretty much stayed up all night for about two weeks to prepare for the study, in your daze, you accidently forgot to ensure that a certain light switch was on the "off" position by triple checking that everyone had taped it shut that way. Automatic do over.

Members don't see this ad :)

are you going to start threads about all six Duke questions?

The other one I'll give you, not an easy question. But this one's simple in theory: remember a time that your ego was taken down a peg or two, then try to describe it to an adcomm while still looking like an attractive candidate. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

\)

well duh.....i mean if they wrote them all in the same post....well, that would just be LAZY.........and we know the op isnt lazy RIGGGGHHHHTTTT????

That time you walked into the men's lockerroom shower for the first time would qualify.

Part of a persona that you create in order to fool adcoms into letting you in. For example:

last year - I want to become a doctor because it lies at the junction of my humanitarian and scientific interests.

now - I want to become a doctor so I can cut people without going to jail.

how about the medical school application process.

Doing something you don't have to do because you know someone else wouldn't be able to do it on his/her own.

Speaking of tough questions, my secondary application had this puzzling question: "Name:"

Name what? They didn't say! Name a disease? Name an experience you had? Nope. Simply "Name" at the top of the page. I called the office of admissions but they were no help.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Speaking of tough questions, my secondary application had this puzzling question: "Name:"

Name what? They didn't say! Name a disease? Name an experience you had? Nope. Simply "Name" at the top of the page. I called the office of admissions but they were no help.

:laugh:

I would probably answer this question in a different way - for me this would be... having children made me realize the amount of responsibility I've just taken on and how ill equipped/imperfect I am. Usually realizing how big the world is and how small you are is humbling, but also a very mature realization to make. This is the kind of humbling experience that I believe they're looking for rather than an embarrassing one.

I would probably answer this question in a different way - for me this would be... having children made me realize the amount of responsibility I've just taken on and how ill equipped/imperfect I am. Usually realizing how big the world is and how small you are is humbling, but also a very mature realization to make. This is the kind of humbling experience that I believe they're looking for rather than an embarrassing one.

word up on the example even though im not a parent...so hows KU Med noelleruckman?

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree, why can't some of y'all just read the question and answer it for what it is? humbling experience. something that made you humble maybe?

now if you need the definition of humble, we've got another problem at hand.

Something that makes you realize you are not quite what you thought you were. You are not invincible. etc...

I get the impression a lot of people on SDN have never had a humbling experience. If they had, they wouldn't be so darned obnoxious...

Reactions: 5 users
I get the impression a lot of people on SDN have never had a humbling experience. If they had, they wouldn't be so darned obnoxious...

Was it the "I hate Affirmative Action" or "English-speaking immigrants only" threads that tipped you off? :laugh:

I was actually thinking about this today... concerning the AA threads. If the individuals who got so hot around the collar about this issue had a jolt of real humility, they wouldn't be bothered about it. Funny that it would come up in another thread.

That time you walked into the men's lockerroom shower for the first time would qualify.

or the time, as a guy, you walked into the ladies' bathroom thinking it was the men's room:oops:

i agree, why can't some of y'all just read the question and answer it for what it is? humbling experience. something that made you humble maybe?

now if you need the definition of humble, we've got another problem at hand.

What is the definition of the word 'is'?

A humbling experience for me somehow stumbling onto the great mystery that is studentdoctor.net and finding all these much better qualified applicants than I am with their averages of 3.7+ GPA and 33+ MCAT and finding myself saying, "oh, poo."

when you eavesdrop on your friends talkin' trash about your mixtape

Reactions: 11 users
when you diss drake and then he destroys you

The whole premise of this thread is hilarious to me. "What is a humbling experience? What is that supposed to be?" :lol:Classic SDN.

I took sort of a different spin on this question and talked about when I landed in my city for study abroad and realized I knew no one else on the same continent as me. It made me realize how very small I am and how very big the world is.

But I agree with other posters in that if your reading comprehension is this bad, how did you survive the verbal section of the MCAT, and how do you expect to make it through medical school?

when you resurrect stoopid threads.

I was actually kind of stumped on this question and I put it on hold and went onto the next one. As I was finishing up "describe a time you advocated for someone unlike yourself" I realized that the experience I was describing and the impact it had on me were humbling. Sometimes it takes a little extra reflection!

Have you ever worked a minimum wage job? Worked with people who are less well off than you? I work as a CNA at a nursing home and so many of my coworkers do this job for their living without any plans to do anything else. That's humbling to me. Knowing that this is a summer job for me - mainly an ~experience~ while other people are working their butts off day in and day out humbles me immensely. I have the luxury of being in college with dreams to be a doctor but so many of my coworkers don't.

Humbling experiences don't have to be extreme moments of revelation. Anything that knocked you down a peg or gave you a dose of reality of how other people live can qualify here.

Reactions: 2 users
When you organized a team of about 10 researchers in a daylong circadian rhythm study, in order to measure the diurnal fluctuations of a certain hormone, but because you pretty much stayed up all night for about two weeks to prepare for the study, in your daze, you accidently forgot to ensure that a certain light switch was on the "off" position by triple checking that everyone had taped it shut that way. Automatic do over.
LOL DO NOT WRITE THAT

Have you ever worked a minimum wage job? Worked with people who are less well off than you? I work as a CNA at a nursing home and so many of my coworkers do this job for their living without any plans to do anything else. That's humbling to me. Knowing that this is a summer job for me - mainly an ~experience~ while other people are working their butts off day in and day out humbles me immensely. I have the luxury of being in college with dreams to be a doctor but so many of my coworkers don't.

Humbling experiences don't have to be extreme moments of revelation. Anything that knocked you down a peg or gave you a dose of reality of how other people live can qualify here.
Thanks so much for that post. I was really struggling to think of what to write on this essay and you gave me an idea!

When you are dominating Jon Jones the first three rounds after talking years of trash. Then he hits u with a crazy leg kick and then ur concussion causes you to cry on TV in front of everyone.

i think a mistake with a learning experience is the best.
maybe like trusted someone but realized that was just naivety and learn not to trust anyone.