What is a really tough but useful rotation to do in fourth year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Healthyheal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Im looking to do one immensely difficult but worthwhile rotation in my fourth year, any suggestions?

How are say... Harvard Or UCSF for something like that
Maybe gen surg or SICU?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone please respond! Haha. U can even talk about your own school, and the notoriously challenging rotations there

I am curious about your motives here.

While there is nothing wrong with seeking out a difficult clinical rotation, I am not sure of the value of a notoriously difficult general surgery rotation for someone who is not planning a surgical career. But for what it's worth, neither Harvard or UCSF have reputations as notoriously difficult or challenging surgical departments. Duke or UTSW may be what you're looking for.

I would venture that a worthwhile and useful rotation for someone going into PM&R would include radiology, Ortho, or pain management.

A critical care rotation is almost always a great option for someone who will be doing an intern year in medicine or surgery because of the skills acquired, IMHO. I wish I'd done wondering my final year so I wouldn't have looked so lost as an intern!

Yea ive got anasthesia and ortho on the schedule. Guess i could add rads... any challenging rads options...? How about emergency US. I wish we had a discussion forum on visiting electives cuz its really tough to get student insight on them otherwise

Btw super thanks for your insights :)

Last edited:
All this mainly because i felt like easier rotations during my third year were largely uneventful and unproductive while the harder ones really motivated me improve my performance, knowledge base, and work ethic

For my senior required medicine im planning on doing ccu. For senior required surgery i have sicu.

i would recommend ICU/CCU rotation...Even though theyre intense I wish I would have done one 4th year so I didn't have to play catch up on how to manage a pt on a vent, pressors, ect....
If youre looking for something worthwhile and easier try radiology...especially if youre doing TY it is great to know how to walk through reading a CXR or CT prior to the final reads coming back (especially during your ER month)

But for what it's worth, neither Harvard or UCSF have reputations as notoriously difficult or challenging surgical departments. Duke or UTSW may be what you're looking for.

Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but would you say Duke and UTSW are at the "top" in terms of respect and breadth for surgical training? We haven't had a "top surgical residency programs" list in the gen surg forum in quite some time; I'd be interested to see how the programs have shifted in people's minds in the last decade or so since the last topic on it. I know there's no real way to quantify it, but lists are somewhat helpful for ranking programs.

Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but would you say Duke and UTSW are at the "top" in terms of respect and breadth for surgical training? We haven't had a "top surgical residency programs" list in the gen surg forum in quite some time; I'd be interested to see how the programs have shifted in people's minds in the last decade or so since the last topic on it. I know there's no real way to quantify it, but lists are somewhat helpful for ranking programs.

I second such a dicussion

I'd recommend ICU. The interns at my base that didn't take it wish that they had. I am thinking of doing 2-3 ICU/CCU rotations. Just finishing up my 1st one. Man I love it. 12hrs and I don't even yawn- feels like I just got in as I'm leaving. Never thought that id love ICU.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Agreed on the ICU. I did two months of SICU, and different institutions. Fewer patients, so I was able to get more involved in decision making, with the help of the residents. More procedures too - they let me put in a PEG at the bedside back then; I walk my sub-Is through chest tubes placement, etc.

I could be wrong but I think she is talking in terms of difficult rotation, not top ranked program. UTSW and Duke have had a long time reputation of being malignant and difficult on their surgical residents. Things may have changed, but that has been the reputation. That does not mean that Duke/UTSW are not still strong program, but it doesn't mean they are ranked 1,2 etc in terms of surgery. Correct me if I am wrong WingedScapula.

I could be wrong but I think she is talking in terms of difficult rotation, not top ranked program. UTSW and Duke have had a long time reputation of being malignant and difficult on their surgical residents. Things may have changed, but that has been the reputation. That does not mean that Duke/UTSW are not still strong program, but it doesn't mean they are ranked 1,2 etc in terms of surgery. Correct me if I am wrong WingedScapula.

Now that I re-read this your response seems more likely.

Still would be interested in a general breakdown of the top 10 or so surgical programs in the US from people in the know.

I'll second (or third, forth, or whatever we're up to now) an ICU rotation. In addition, I thought a medicine sub-I was incredibly useful for preparing for residency. If your school doesn't require a floor sub-i but has the option for one, I'd take it.

An ortho or neurosurgery rotation might be kind of cool and helpful--I wanted to take one in my fourth year since I'm also going into PM&R and a lot of rehab patients will either be coming from those services or you'll be referring your patients to them, and seeing the surgeries first hand seemed like it'd be helpful. I ended up not being able to take either unfortunately. Still, those will be really tough rotations if that's really what you want.

I found neuroradiology to be a really helpful rotation. So was EM--you learn to think faster and quickly decide if a pt is sick/not-sick. Gotta develop that 6th sense...

If you have the option, palliative care is a rotation I'd highly recommend as well. I'm on it right now as an intern and it's great for rehab because you learn/further develop your difficult conversation skills (good for those TBI/SCI months) as well as developing further expertise in treating pain, constipation, and other symptomatic management.

Thank you everyone for your responses, they were much appreciated