Anyone else feel that UWORLD questions are a lot more rigid compared to NBME?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139416

I feel as though UWORLD questions are often debatable and the right answer comes down to one specific thing that the question mentions. However, NBME questions on CMS forms are much more flexible and there are multiple reasons why a question is correct or incorrect.

Members don't see this ad.

UWorld is a teaching tool. They present you with a lot of facts and information, so they can touch on all those topics and potential answer choices to review. I wouldn't say they're debatable, though, unless the question is using outdated guidelines.

The NBME typically has less data in the question stem, but what it does present is typically an extremely pertinent positive (or negative).

Reactions: 1 user
Hm... "debatable" is not what I thought. What I certainly noticed was that the NBME exams are A LOT easier than the UWorld exams. The questions don't seem to ask you for as much detail + they seem like they mostly just give you straight pertinents as @Vyzzle said whereas in UWorld, I felt like some irrelevant stuff was thrown in, some stuff was subtle, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel CMS questions were EXTREMELY straightforward, to the point that you could read the last two sentences alone and get the question right 40-50% of the time b/c of buzzwords.

This makes the real NBME exams a lot more disappointing lol.

All board exams/shelves are much more similar to uworld than NBME imo except for maybe the most recent forms. The early NBME (even the earlier ones they sell and aren't fully retired) are NOTHING like what you will see on test day and way too simple. It truly was a different ballgame back then. The exam gets more difficult every year.

Reactions: 1 user