What is Anesthesiology like as a career?

Started by drbruce
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drbruce

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel that anesthesiologist is perhaps one of the the most misunderstood fields in medicine.

Students get very little exposure at medical school so I know relatively very little about this specialty and would certainly like to learn more.

1) What is the lifestyle like? On call? Hours per week? Do you get a lot of stick from the surgeons when things go wrong?

2) I have heard rumours that the huge salary awarded to fully trained anesthetists upon completion of training is driving up the competition for residency places, any comments?

3) Are malpractice insurance premiums a big problem in the world of the anesthetist, too?

4) What are the pros and cons of being a gasman? Other than being called a gasman!