what is AOA??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drredish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
plz tell me about AOA,and the advantages of this related residency programes:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

plz tell me about AOA,and the advantages of this related residency programes:confused:

AOA is an honor society. Medical schools offer membership to the top 5-15% of their students. Membership is based almost entirely on your grades though there might be some small component of leadership in there if your deans want to consider that. Membership is considered a big boost for your application to top residency programs, but isn't actually necessary for any field except maybe Derm.

Reactions: 1 user
AOA is an honor society. Medical schools offer membership to the top 5-15% of their students. Membership is based almost entirely on your grades though there might be some small component of leadership in there if your deans want to consider that. Membership is considered a big boost for your application to top residency programs, but isn't actually necessary for any field except maybe Derm.
thaks so much,as far as i very interested in derm and also pediatrics......so maybe just one choice left .....

Members don't see this ad :)

The AOA is an honor society? And here I was in a D.O. school that is governed by the American Osteopathic Association or the American Orthopedic Association or even American Optometric Association and then again for those who are obese it stands for the American Obesity Association, for the elderly it's the Administration on Aging, etc, etc, etc.

Depends on which AOA you are looking for :D

Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) is an honorary allopathic medical society. Entry is generally governed by the rules of the national organization (do a Google search) and the individual chapters. Some chapters base entry on grades alone while others have a combination of grades and leadership but scholarship is a huge factor in AOA selection.

One may be elected as a third year medical student (most desirable), fourth year medical student, resident or attending physician depending on the rules of the chapter involved. On the ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service) application, there is a designation for Alpha Omega Alpha selection. At my school both scholarship and leadership were selection criteria.

Out of a class of 95, two of us were selected at the third year level and another 8 at the fourth year level. No student that wasn't in the top 10 in terms of grades was selected for Alpha Omega Alpha. The residents and attendings were selected by the members of the chapter with one attending and one resident selected.

Alpha Omega Alpha is nationally recognized by almost every residency program and having the AOA designation does open doors. The golden key is nice on the lab coat lapel too. Once selected, one can participate in chapter activities as a medical student, resident or attending at any chapter. Do be aware that some schools do not have Alpha Omega Alpha chapters which is also designated on ERAS application. It was great that my medical school did have this opportunity.

I will be starting at a DO school in the fall and I knew that AOA in the MD world is the very prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha honor society. I think the DOs and the DO student's don't know it because there are no AOA chapters at DO schools. From what I read on the AOA website, each chapter decides which students they will nominate as AOA members, since there are no AOA chapter's at DO schools then DO students can not be nominated to the AOA.

I also read that you can be nominated to the AOA if you are in a ACGME residency, or even while you are practicing. I wonder if there are any DOs that are in the AOA honors society that were admitted via this route.

I will be starting at a DO school in the fall

You should familiarize yourself with SSP, Sigma Sigma Phi. It's not quite the same as AOA for allopathic students, but it is considered the standard 'honors society' for osteopathic students. You apply to SSP rather than get appointed to it (one of the major differences between SSP and AOA).

Students are mostly admitted at the end of OMS I, with some spots offered during OMS II, and none after that. At many schools you get special cords to wear during graduation, and of course, it helps to put down on your resume/applications :cool:

http://www.sigmasigmaphi.org/

The AOA is a member association representing more than 67,000 osteopathic physicians (DOs). The AOA serves as the primary certifying body for DOs, and is the accrediting agency for all osteopathic medical colleges and health care facilities.
The AOA's mission is to advance the philosophy and practice of osteopathic medicine by promoting excellence in education, research, and the delivery of quality, cost-effective healthcare within a distinct, unified profession.
See this: http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=aoa_main

You should familiarize yourself with SSP, Sigma Sigma Phi. It's not quite the same as AOA for allopathic students, but it is considered the standard 'honors society' for osteopathic students. You apply to SSP rather than get appointed to it (one of the major differences between SSP and AOA).

Students are mostly admitted at the end of OMS I, with some spots offered during OMS II, and none after that. At many schools you get special cords to wear during graduation, and of course, it helps to put down on your resume/applications :cool:

http://www.sigmasigmaphi.org/

At my school, students are initially selected based on academic criteria. Those selected are invited to fill out the application which pretty much asks you to elaborate on leadership/community service activities. You are then selected if you meet the additional criteria, since everyone invited to apply has already met the academic standard. We're given cords to wear at graduation and SSP looks great when applying to residency - the designation box on ERAS is right with the AOA box.

The AOA is a member association representing more than 67,000 osteopathic physicians (DOs). The AOA serves as the primary certifying body for DOs, and is the accrediting agency for all osteopathic medical colleges and health care facilities.
The AOA's mission is to advance the philosophy and practice of osteopathic medicine by promoting excellence in education, research, and the delivery of quality, cost-effective healthcare within a distinct, unified profession.
See this: http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=aoa_main

AOA American Osteopathic Association has NO meaning for allopathic medical students. Wrong forum.

I will be starting at a DO school in the fall and I knew that AOA in the MD world is the very prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha honor society. I think the DOs and the DO student's don't know it because there are no AOA chapters at DO schools. From what I read on the AOA website, each chapter decides which students they will nominate as AOA members, since there are no AOA chapter's at DO schools then DO students can not be nominated to the AOA.

I also read that you can be nominated to the AOA if you are in a ACGME residency, or even while you are practicing. I wonder if there are any DOs that are in the AOA honors society that were admitted via this route.

You can be nominated at the resident level but this has no use in terms of securing a competitive residency which is the main reason that allopathic medical students seek to be inducted into this society. After the match, it's just another organization that asks for money.

I have a couple questions about AOA for residents and physician-educator nominees. If the resident or physician-educator is already in AOA from medical school, are they still eligibile for induction at the resident/physician level? Or is AOA drawing from a pool of residents/physicians that were not elected at the medical school level? Thanks.

I have a couple questions about AOA for residents and physician-educator nominees. If the resident or physician-educator is already in AOA from medical school, are they still eligibile for induction at the resident/physician level? Or is AOA drawing from a pool of residents/physicians that were not elected at the medical school level? Thanks.

Once in AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha), you can participate in activities from chapter to chapter. You only have one induction (third year medical student, fourth year medical student or resident/attending level). You get a certificate at induction but if you keep paying your dues, you can participate in chapter activities at your residency location/where you practice if desired. It's not an induction if you are already a member. After being useful for residency application, AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha) membership becomes just a membership is another medical organization though there are often chapter activities that you can participate in if you desire and have the time/interest.

My AOA certificate hangs in my office next to my diplomas and residency certifications. Most patients do not know the significance of the organization and my colleagues could care less. AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha) was useful for residency application and I send money for sponsored scholarships but I don't need another medical organization to participate in [I have enough to do]. It was great for medical school but now, it's a certificate on the wall.

Alpha Omega Alpha, or "AOA," is a national medical honor society that
was founded in 1902 to promote and recognize excellence in the medical
profession. Most, although not all medical schools have a chapter of
AOA. Each school's chapter selects a small group of students to join
the society, generally in their junior or senior years. "Junior AOA
status," or being selected as a junior, is considered superior to
"senior AOA status."
Yup, that question was answered ad nauseam but thanks!

I did not realize being Junior AOA is a higher honor than Sr AOA. So those who are inducted as Jr AOA do not have to reapply? Interesting.

I did not realize being Junior AOA is a higher honor than Sr AOA. So those who are inducted as Jr AOA do not have to reapply? Interesting.
Just like PBK, the earlier the better

Once you're in, you're in, but from what I've seen, there's very little difference between being selected as a junior or a senior. In fact, my school often doesn't bother to select anyone junior year and does all their selections senior year. ERAS just asks you if you're a member or not -- they don't ask when you were made a member. And on my school's MSPE, it just states whether you're AOA or not, with no designation for junior AOA. Maybe some schools make a designation on the MSPE or a graduation, but I don't think residency programs really care.

As for criteria, at my school you have to be in the top 1/4 of your class, and no more than 1/6 of the class can be picked. I think the 1/6 rule is a nationwide thing, but I'm not sure about the 1/4 rule. My school traditionally picks almost purely based on grades, which I think is atypical.

Once you're in, you're in, but from what I've seen, there's very little difference between being selected as a junior or a senior. In fact, my school often doesn't bother to select anyone junior year and does all their selections senior year. ERAS just asks you if you're a member or not -- they don't ask when you were made a member. And on my school's MSPE, it just states whether you're AOA or not, with no designation for junior AOA. Maybe some schools make a designation on the MSPE or a graduation, but I don't think residency programs really care.

As for criteria, at my school you have to be in the top 1/4 of your class, and no more than 1/6 of the class can be picked. I think the 1/6 rule is a nationwide thing, but I'm not sure about the 1/4 rule. My school traditionally picks almost purely based on grades, which I think is atypical.
Some (most?) schools chose senior AOA late enough that ERAS has already been submitted by that point.