What is appropriate/inappropriate on an M1 resume (fresh M1 trying to get involved in research)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedPerson1020

Reaction score
Hello! I am a new M1 student and am interested in getting involved in research with a specific physician affiliated with my institution. I plan to speak to them soon and to have my resume on hand in case they ask for it before deciding if they are willing to work with me. Changing it over from my undergrad resume has been a big change though and I am confused.

1. Do I include shadowing experience? I have shadowing experience in the specialty I am trying to research in from high school, but my shadowing from undergrad is in different specialties. If I should list shadowing, should I include the high school experience?

2. What from undergrad is appropriate to list on a medical school resume? I don't have experience with extracurriculars in medical school yet of course, so should I put leadership positions in extracurriculars from undergrad? Or leave that off entirely?

3. Is work/educational experience unrelated to medicine listed?

4. Any other general advice for writing a resume for this occasion? I have little research experience but want to get more involved in it, so there isn't much that would qualify me for medical research that I could list so far on my resume. How likely is it that I even will actually be asked for my resume or be expected to have significant research experience/demonstrated experiences in the field of the physician I am trying to come on board with? I have been told that this person is actively looking for students to join their research, so this is not a cold call.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Are we talking about a resume (one page) or CV? If it's a CV, I believe it is absolutely appropriate to list some undergraduate achievements (honors, research presentations, publications, internships, and leadership positions) and GPA on the CV since it is a compilation of your academic history. You don't have much to add for medical school yet, so it makes sense to have some major achievements and undergrad education info on your CV at this stage.

I wouldn't list shadowing, though. That is just going to use up room that could be used for something more important. You should list some stuff like free clinic volunteering as a medical student instead.

Reactions: 2 users
Are we talking about a resume (one page) or CV? If it's a CV, I believe it is absolutely appropriate to list some undergraduate achievements (honors, research presentations, publications, internships, and leadership positions) and GPA on the CV since it is a compilation of your academic history. You don't have much to add for medical school yet, so it makes sense to have some major achievements and undergrad education info on your CV at this stage.

I wouldn't list shadowing, though. That is just going to use up room that could be used for something more important. You should list some stuff like free clinic volunteering as a medical student instead.
Thanks for your reply! I haven't been asked for this yet, so not sure if I should prep a CV or resume. Just trying to be prepared in case I am asked for it on the spot. I've been going with resume though for the time being, I don't think it is formal enough of a review for them to ask for my CV. But I guess we'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should still maintain a CV, but that is mainly for other things like scholarships. I doubt you will be asked for a CV or resume by anyone at your school that you try to do research for while in med school.

Reactions: 1 user
I also agree you're unlikely to need one for this, but it's good to maintain a CV in general. Specifically addressing your questions about what should be on your CV:

1) No
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Additional piece of advice, I might suggest including a brief 3-4 sentence blurb of your career goals (obviously you're an MS1, so it's fine for them to be broad), and why you are specifically interested in their research. Again, only write this in case you are actually asked for a CV, which seems unlikely.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all so much! I'm just so used to being asked for this by doctors when I asked to shadow them that I expected it to be the same situation. Thanks for clarifying!

To update everyone, I just approached a physician with a research project who said they were looking to take on M1s and was indeed asked for a CV! Thank you all for your help, just a heads up for any other students who may read this with the same question. It can happen and is worth being prepared!

Reactions: 1 user
I always recommend sending one page CV/resume for any position you try (research or volunteering) especially if you are contacting by email and treat email content as cover page.

Reactions: 1 users