What is Better Mindset to Have

D

deleted421268

You see someone aspiring to be a doctor main goal while studying is to be a specific speciality say anesthesiologist. Or someone aspiring to be a Doc main goal is to get into Medical School first, and doesn't even think about any of the specialties. Which mindset is better to have???

Members don't see this ad.

You see someone aspiring to be a doctor main goal while studying is to be a specific speciality say anesthesiologist. Or someone aspiring to be a Doc main goal is to get into Medical School first, and doesn't even think about any of the specialties. Which mindset is better to have???
It depends on the person...

It doesn't really matter, just know that your interests will likely change and that you should be putting an effort to get into an MD or DO school so you can get into your residency, let's say Anesthesiology.

Members don't see this ad :)

For most, the later. However, some people genuinely have a specific goal in mind that is rooted enough for them to go all the way through medical school without faltering. It isn't bad to have a specific specialty in mind, so long as you still expose yourself willingly to other potential specialties as well. Even if you are convinced of your future career, you will be better for it if you do so.

I think both is the best mindset.

For most, the later. However, some people genuinely have a specific goal in mind that is rooted enough for them to go all the way through medical school without faltering. It isn't bad to have a specific specialty in mind, so long as you still expose yourself willingly to other potential specialties as well. Even if you are convinced of your future career, you will be better for it if you do so.

This. Also, your understanding of any given specialty will change dramatically between now and many years from now, when you're actually applying to residency. :luck:

Your saying as an undergraduate you should aim for Med School first and forget about specialties then once in Med School that is when you aim for a speciality?

I would say the biggest thing is to first make sure you want to be a doctor, regardless of specialty (surgeon vs. doctor is different, though). Doesn't necessarily hurt to have a specific speciality in mind, as long as you are open to the possibilities during medical school and don't limit your exposure to just that one specialty.

Your saying as an undergraduate you should aim for Med School first and forget about specialties then once in Med School that is when you aim for a speciality?

No, I'm saying that for most pre-med people the goal should be to become a doctor, but for those who truly feel like they have a specific calling it is still best to be open to other possibilities and eager to explore them. You may find something you like better, and if not you will be better at your own specialty by having experienced as much of others as you can. Even in med school, I knew very early on that I was probably going into neurosurgery, but I kept myself open to other possibilities and I benefited greatly from it even though I ended up choosing to stay with neurosurgery.

I don't think anyone absolutely should have a desired major until after clinical rotations. But, keep in mind that having at least an Idea is important BEFORE clinical rotations would be a good idea so you can choose based on your possibilities.