what is better- PCCM or Nephrology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

draks

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really confused in applying between PCCM and Nephrology. Can somebody help me in deciding which is a better speciality in long run and about the salary structure. Interestwise, I like both the specialities but I can do research in only one.

Members don't see this ad.

If you really like both specialties, you could do a nephrology fellowship, then do an extra year in critical care to get the certification. Nephrology/critical care is a viable area of academic practice. :thumbup:

If you really like both specialties, you could do a nephrology fellowship, then do an extra year in critical care to get the certification. Nephrology/critical care is a viable area of academic practice. :thumbup:

Can anyone tell me what the average start salary for Nephrologist and PCCM doc is in big cities like Chicago, NY. Most of the website gives unreal fig. I would appreciate it someone from specialities can tell me. Its hard for me to take a decision as I plan to do research in either one.