This post cracks me up.
So you want to be a naval doctor so you live comfortably, debt free and retire wealthy.
Wow, inspiring.
Please keep this out of your personal statement. And don't mention it to others anymore, it is depressing.
Ok, now that is messed up.
On a thread that is all about money, where there are plenty of people openly saying they are out to specialize, maximize their income and buy luxury goods, someone who is willing to serve their country for 32 years is given ****?
Perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough but I am not joining the Navy Medical Corp because I think that is the easiest way to get rich. I am joining it because of a deep sense of committment to my ideals, about living in a society that many would consider socialist and yet still offers a great life to those who are willing to make the best of things and roll with the punches life invariably throws at you.
My post was trying to make the point that all doctors in America lead a comfortable life, even those in public service. That is why I pointed out all the financial specifics. In no way was I bragging that "I'm going to be richer than you guys" far from it.
I know damned well that if I specialized and went into the private medical market I could pull in $300K and get crazy rich. But I prefer to live within the military culture, where everyone is given a role to play and in return is guaranteed a good life, (no unemployment, no homelessness, no hunger, everyone gets an education, healthcare and a pension).
At the end of my 32 year career, at the age of 55 I will be able to retire in comfort having known that I lived my principles, served a higher purpose and maximized my potential while still ending up with a 7 figure bank account.
Perhaps I am misinterpreting what Bennieblanco said, but it appears as if he thinks I should be ashamed that, with a committment to savings and decent financial planning, I could both serve my country and come out a multi-millionaire, with a nice mansion in Honolulu, who spends my retirment lounging on the beaches of Waikiki? If that is the case then why the hell should I be ashamed of making that my goal when so many others blatently admit to wanting the same things I do, but are unwilling to serve anything other than their self interest?