What is considered a strong tie?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mika418419

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello. I am questioning applying to a SUNY upstate school. If a parent did their residency at an affiliated hospital there and lived in upstate NY for a decade, and you have family in the area but nothing outside of that. Is that enough of a tie?
 
I did not live there, but definitely I am interested in practicing there for sure. Most of my family lives there outside of parents.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello. I am questioning applying to a SUNY upstate school. If a parent did their residency at an affiliated hospital there and lived in upstate NY for a decade, and you have family in the area but nothing outside of that. Is that enough of a tie?
No

A strong tie is:
You growing up in that area or state
You going to college in the state
You having lived in that area or state for a long time that's different from the two above.