What is considered Research Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Handsome88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am astonished at the number of people who have research experiences. I come from a really research oriented University which incorporates research in many of its regular courses. But unfortunately I was not able to take on a research project.

However I did volunteer to help a research group in humanities and my job was to translate ancient Arabic texts into English in order to preserve them in that language (that wasn't an easy job at all ...). In addition, I have done many research assignments and major research papers as part of university courses. For example, I have wrote a comprehensive 60 page research paper (Case study) on the Biodiversity of the Gulf of Mexico including two presentations.

I know these aren't medical or clinical, but would any of these be considered research experiences?

Does research has to be specifically in the medical field (at hospitals) or can I for example help my Paleontology TA with his research work (even though I will not have my name as an author on any publications)? Or having a small job such as organizing or calculating statistical data?

I hope this doesn't sound stupid, I'm just very confused about this subject.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am astonished at the number of people who have research experiences. I come from a really research oriented University which incorporates research in many of its regular courses. But unfortunately I was not able to take on a research project.

However I did volunteer to help a research group in humanities and my job was to translate ancient Arabic texts into English in order to preserve them in that language. In addition, I have done many research assignments and major research papers as part of university courses. For example, I have wrote a 60 page research paper (Case study) on the Biodiversity of a the Gulf of Mexico.

I know these aren't medical or clinical, but would any of these be considered research experiences?

Research is research. Doesn't matter what the field is. However, it would be nice to have biology of maybe even health related research. The point is to get some experience with "real life" situations and also to become independent and work on your own with help along the way with mentors.

Research is research. Doesn't matter what the field is. However, it would be nice to have biology of maybe even health related research. The point is to get some experience with "real life" situations and also to become independent and work on your own with help along the way with mentors.

Would this be good for applying for residencies too? Wouldn't they be looking for something more clinical, such as research at a hospital rather than a biology university lab?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would this be good for applying for residencies too? Wouldn't they be looking for something more clinical, such as research at a hospital rather than a biology university lab?

When you apply to residencies you generally only include things you did in medical school.

Its sort of like high school stuff when applying to medical school - its just not appropriate to include college stuff when you apply to residency. Unless you won the olympics or cured cancer.

So yes you will likely want to do more research in medical school if you want it for the purposes of applying to residency. Generally the specialties who find research VERY important (optho, ortho, plastics) really want to see it in their own specialty anyway.

When you apply to residencies you generally only include things you did in medical school.

Its sort of like high school stuff when applying to medical school - its just not appropriate to include college stuff when you apply to residency. Unless you won the olympics or cured cancer.

So yes you will likely want to do more research in medical school if you want it for the purposes of applying to residency. Generally the specialties who find research VERY important (optho, ortho, plastics) really want to see it in their own specialty anyway.

:thumbup:Ditto. And in undergrad your pretty limited when it comes to "medically" related research. Starting in a bio lab gives you experience for the future.

Oh I see... Do most people get research experiences through their University during their schools years or do they go directly to neighboring hospitals during summers/school year?
I am an international medical student (1st year) and I want to apply to IM to US/Canada. Even though I don't think that speciality finds research that important, it will help me as an IMG or in sub-specializing later on..

am i the only one who doesn't think writing a 60 page paper is considered research experience?? :confused:

Oh I see... Do most people get research experiences through their University during their schools years or do they go directly to neighboring hospitals during summers/school year?
I am an international medical student (1st year) and I want to apply to IM to US/Canada. Even though I don't think that speciality finds research that important, it will help me as an IMG.

Well usually the university has its associated hospitals - thats usually where students do their research. Some will stick with more benchwork at the university itself, others will go to the associated hospital and work with the faculty on clinical projects.

Some students will just find a resident and ask if they have an interesting Case Study they can help with. Most residents do have some case they've been sitting on because they haven't had time to write it up. Thats a very easy project for a medical student to use to get published.

Many never do any research at all.

am i the only one who doesn't think writing a 60 page paper is considered research experience?? :confused:

Well it wasn't lab oriented and did not require the use bunsen burners or tubes. But it did require A LOT of research.

Oops I didn't realize your a Med Student. I don't know if my advice is really helpful.

He said that it was a case study and he presented it twice - to me thats research.

Although its sort of moot since it sounds like he did that in college and he's already an MS1. Time to start anew, everything from college is irrelevant.

He said that it was a case study and he presented it twice - to me thats research.

Although its sort of moot since it sounds like he did that in college and he's already an MS1. Time to start anew, everything from college is irrelevant.

the sentence preceding it makes it sound like he was just writing a paper on a case study he read or something. that is not scientific research, but literary research, which is not "research experience".

Well it wasn't lab oriented and did not require the use bunsen burners or tubes. But it did require A LOT of research.

did YOU do the case study? and when you said it required A LOT of research, did you mean in the library? i'm really confused here.

the sentence preceding it makes it sound like he was just writing a paper on a case study he read or something. that is not scientific research, but literary research, which is not "research experience".

True. Either way its moot because he's already in med school.

did YOU do the case study? and when you said it required A LOT of research, did you mean in the library?

I used primary scientific research papers to gather data and asked several organizations such as IUCN. No I wasn't present at the site myself...my paper was written using other sources.

Anyways, I want to thank all of you for the help :)

I used primary scientific research papers to gather data and asked several organizations such as IUCN. No I wasn't present at the site myself...my paper was written using other sources.

Anyways, I want to thank all of you for the help :)

ok... i really hope it is abundantly clear to you that that is not scientific research.

good luck.

People have already said it above research is research. As an undergrad, doing research in one department is no more important than the research done in another department. Researching the mating behaviors of the aardvark in captivity, through the biology department, is no more better than researching the effects that a painting had in facilitating a war, through the European history department. :thumbup:

What if one does a year of research between college and med school fall into? Especially when it's done at a medical school.

(I am currently pursuing research at Harvard Medical School and I just graduated college in May 2010.)

What if one does a year of research between college and med school fall into? Especially when it's done at a medical school.

(I am currently pursuing research at Harvard Medical School and I just graduated college in May 2010.)

You would include that.

And non-traditional will often mention they worked in x field for 10 years. You just shouldn't be including research, clinical activities, etc from college.