What is everyone doing for CME (especially for the ABPN?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trismegistus4

Credential Non-Respecter
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologies for not sticking to what should really be the residency focus of this form, but I know there are a lot of us here who have finished training, and there aren't a lot of other good places to ask.

The three-year mark is up again for me this year, meaning I have to do 60 CME credits, 24 of which are SA, and one PIP module.

Last time around I had gone to AMA one time, I bought some materials from www.masterpsych.com, and bought some PIP materials from MGH to do a chart review to make sure you were asking depressed patients about cognitive symptoms.

I've tried asking my colleagues at my current job about what they're doing, but I never seem to get a straight answer, which leads me to suspect people just aren't doing it. One of them even asked for my help in figuring out how to meet these requirements, admitting he's behind.

Also, after several years of occasionally having people suggest to me that I should do "the journal articles" thing instead, I looked into it more, only to find that it is still a pilot program. You have to have received an invitation to participate. You can't just sign up. So that's out for me.

Anyone here actually keeping up with this stuff? If so, what are you using?

Members don't see this ad.

I apologise for the dumb question but what are CMEs used for? Is it like to maintain your boards?

If you're in academia, probably an easy and free way to get them is to go to grand rounds or M&Ms etc. Esp w/ zoom these days 95% of the participants are video off/sound off anyway LMAO!

Reactions: 1 user
I used beat the boards for ABPN MOC and mypsych board. MOC is pain but we have to do what we have to do ;(

Members don't see this ad :)
When i look up stuff on uptodate, my CME credits add up, the only thing is im not sure what category those would fin it.

Did you learn anything new or was it beneficial for a refresher?
I learned psychopharm and C/L the most. I was mainly focusing on the ABPN test. They have a huge pool of questions which was the closest thing to the actual test. Time will tell when I get my results!

I apologise for the dumb question but what are CMEs used for? Is it like to maintain your boards?

If you're in academia, probably an easy and free way to get them is to go to grand rounds or M&Ms etc. Esp w/ zoom these days 95% of the participants are video off/sound off anyway LMAO!

To answer your question, yes, to maintain board certification. Your state licensing board may also have CME requirements - mine does, but they’re less than the ABPN’s, so keeping that certification isn’t a big issue.

I did the PIPE exam this year, which was a hefty number of CMEs. Otherwise I just go to conferences, attend grand rounds at our institution… the usual stuff. I know that you can get CMEs from Master the Boards. If you’re looking for a specific resource, the Focus journal is pretty nice. It’s pricey, but they release a topic-focused issue every quarter that delves into some kind of diagnostic category or clinical issue in a fair amount of detail. I know a subscription will grant you access to previous issues but I’m not sure if those are eligible for CMEs or not. It’s a bit pricey, but if you don’t mind reading and are looking for something a little more “high-yield,” I’d recommend it.

Reactions: 2 users
AAPL meeting. It is very interesting.

Reactions: 1 users
I am lucky enough that my specialty clinic part-time gig has a state-mandated all hands week-long annual training attended by all the clinics in this area in the state which generate beaucoup CMEs. Also, since I have to attend it as a job requirement, I get paid. I'd definitely be making more by using all those hours to see private practice patients but somehow not having any money flowing out makes it seem far sweeter.

No offense, but how can you not know this? Your status says you are an attending physician--did you become board certified before October 1, 1994? Everyone who was first certified after that date is required to do CMEs.
beat the boards
Do they have a PIP module?

Why is it so hard to find out what people are doing for the PIP? No one has even mentioned it. Everyone who first certified in 2012 or later has to do it every 3 years, and I know I'm not the only poster around here that applies to. Are people just ignoring this requirement?

Why is it so hard to find out what people are doing for the PIP? No one has even mentioned it. Everyone who first certified in 2012 or later has to do it every 3 years, and I know I'm not the only poster around here that applies to. Are people just ignoring this requirement?

I purchased a PIP module from the ABPN website. It was a hassle but it only has to be done every 3 years. Upon completion, it gave 20 CMEs (and 8 of it also counts for SA-CME).

Regarding regular CME, I use UpToDate and attend conference and read the interviews of experts (Psychopharmacology Institute).

Regarding SA-CME, I take the self-assessment exam on APA. It was free for the past 2 years as a member of ABPN.