What is everyone doing the summer before medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yalla22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your plans before MS1? :) :) :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

I just hope that I survive. I plan on really putting myself through the ringer before someone else starts doing it to me in Aug.

Three weeks after graduation of SLACKING hardcore, eight weeks of malaria genetics research (thanks NIH, I need that money to move); then, getting married in FL and moving to wherever I end up going to school -- either Chicago or Philly.

I am debating whether or not to crack open my copy of Netter from undergrad anat/phys and start reviewing bones and muscles. I really shouldn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
SDE internship at Micrsoft. :cool:

oh wow, everyone is pretty hardcore...

The reason i asked the question is as crazy as this sounds, i am almost **afraid** to relax too much before ms1 starts out of pure fear that once its begins i will have a hard time adjusting to the workload. I dont know..i've heard that this will be the last time i will be able to relax in the next 4 years and that i should really just enjoy it...but....

well i dont know about u guys, but im def gonna enjoy my last break before med school...

i figure that once med school starts, the next 4 yrs will be crazy, then straight to internship, then finally landing a job as a physician when im in my 30s (dont wanna think about it) and probably with a family of my own (or about to start one very soon)...

this could be my very last chance for some personal time to do whatever i please...

im going overseas for 3 months!!!

I'm going to get the syllabus for all my classes and study them straight until school starts!!!

Or more likely become a raging alcoholic on the weekends, play a ton of pool and beirut, possibly go on a few road trips, and relax. You people are insane to start studying before school. Talk about gunners hahaha. You all need to chiiillll

Or more likely become a raging alcoholic on the weekends, play a ton of pool and beirut, possibly go on a few road trips, and relax. You people are insane to start studying before school. Talk about gunners hahaha. You all need to chiiillll

I'm with ya' all the way! Sleeping 'til noon... taking a couple of vacations... and slacking. The fun of working my a** off will begin soon enough. I'm going to take full advantage of the last few slacker days.

it's laziness and a road trip for me

well i dont know about u guys, but im def gonna enjoy my last break before med school...

i figure that once med school starts, the next 4 yrs will be crazy, then straight to internship, then finally landing a job as a physician when im in my 30s (dont wanna think about it) and probably with a family of my own (or about to start one very soon)...

this could be my very last chance for some personal time to do whatever i please...

im going overseas for 3 months!!!
Omg, thank you. I thought I was the only one. Why is everyone doing so much? geez, you've obviously worked hard the last 4 years...don't you wanna enjoy life for a little before you have to go through med school? I know I do. While iwannagomed is overseas for 3 months, I'll be camping all over the northeast for a few weeks, going to 2 weddings overseas, and hanging out with friends. Oh, and OBVIOUSLY, I'm not reading up a single med school course over the summer (but maybe a novel). My brain needs some time to rot...

Members don't see this ad :)
Two months of R&R out of the continent

I'm going to Disney World! :D

Figure I will take the family so we can enjoy some of our last precious free time together before I get clobbered with endless studying.

continuing lab work until mid-June, then gettin' married, then off to Greece for 2 weeks.

as for July...i'd like to sit on my a$$, play XBox, hit the gym, visit the L.I. beaches and vineyards (been to zero since i moved here two years ago), and generally spend that month in a semi-drunken stupor, but both my fiancee and my mother want me to keep working. (single guys: you won't escape your mother. instead, you'll pick up a mother-in-law, on top of your nagging wife. you just triple the aggravation.) every physician with whom i have spoken, including the ones at work, says i should just chill - so far i'm with them.

by Aug 1, if not still in NYC, move into a new house wherever i go for school, get settled in, and maybe enjoy the last few days checking out the new environment.

[oh yeah - forgot to add my nerdy, mindless summer reading: the last Harry Potter book (Deathly Hallows) while on the beach sometime in late July.]

On my flight to Puerto Rico 2 weeks ago, my US airways flight was delayed forever, so we all got free roundtrip tickets anywhere in the 48 contiguous US states, mexico, latin america, or carribean :D. I'm thinkin either Mexico (Acapulco, Cancun, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta), Barbados, Costa Rica, Aruba, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, or Brazil (I don't know if it qualifies as Latin America). Anyone wanna suggest one of the these or another place? :D

On my flight to Puerto Rico 2 weeks ago, my US airways flight was delayed forever, so we all got free roundtrip tickets anywhere in the 48 contiguous US states, mexico, latin america, or carribean :D. I'm thinkin either Mexico (Acapulco, Cancun, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta), Barbados, Costa Rica, Aruba, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, or Brazil (I don't know if it qualifies as Latin America). Anyone wanna suggest one of the these or another place? :D
I'll be doing lab work until a few weeks before school with a trip back to Montreal in June and then I think I'll take a trip to Orlando with the family and then watch my brother get married :)

I rather do the research now and try and get something out of it then have to scramble around between 1st and 2nd year. Who knows if that will work out though.

teach kaplan, work at some brainless job maybe J.Crew, lounge all day and if i go to pritzker my summer is from may 11th all the way to september 17th! 4 months!

Going to California, throwing a bachelor party for my best friend, and seeing Jimmy Buffett like 3 or 4 times. Fins UP!

I'm going to spend as much time with my boyfriend as possible *tear* and soak up all the sunshine i can :)

teach kaplan, work at some brainless job maybe J.Crew, lounge all day and if i go to pritzker my summer is from may 11th all the way to september 17th! 4 months!

Hell yes to having all of August off!! Hooray trimesters!

If you're at all into watersports, Aruba is one of the best places to learn how to windsurf. I'm by no means coordinated, but I was standing! And moving! It's really windy and the water is chest-high shallow forever, so no worries about falling off and not being able to get back on. Decent snorkeling, too.

As soon as my final final is over I'm getting drunk as hell with the rest of my P.Chem class. Then when I sober up going to live with my bf and his parents for 3 months. :love: Going to my best friend's wedding in July. :D Oh, and reading the last Harry Potter novel. :p I want to dumb up my brain as much as possible so that by the time august rolls around I'll welcome hard work in the form of a swift kick in the @$$. :eek:

travel, travel, travel! ... though I'm still reluctant to book plane tix since I'm not 100% sure yet where I'll end up. Plus, all my friends are taking up some industry/academic summer job or doing hardcore overseas volunteer work - just like all you keeners :p defnly make me feel guilty! oh plus, I really should be earning $$$, sigh ...

Finishing up my thesis, stop working, and hitting the Appalchain Trail for a bit!!!

oh wow, everyone is pretty hardcore...

The reason i asked the question is as crazy as this sounds, i am almost **afraid** to relax too much before ms1 starts out of pure fear that once its begins i will have a hard time adjusting to the workload. I dont know..i've heard that this will be the last time i will be able to relax in the next 4 years and that i should really just enjoy it...but....

Trust me, there's plenty of time to relax in med school. In some ways, it's easier than undergrad and the pressures of getting a high GPA and mcat scores. In all of 4th year, i think this is the first month I've actually worked (Emergency Medicine month). Enjoy your summer, cuz boy i remember that 1st year (u gotta start studying from day 1!!!)

I'm thinkin either Mexico (Acapulco, Cancun, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta), Barbados, Costa Rica, Aruba, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, or Brazil (I don't know if it qualifies as Latin America). Anyone wanna suggest one of the these or another place? :D

Depends. Are you going with friends or a special lady?

Debating whether or not it's worth trying to find a job at some retail place between June 1st and July 23rd (before orientation) so I can take advantage of their discount when I buy all of the things I'll need to survive life off campus (finally!), or if I should just take those (less than) 8 weeks off and play with the puppy my boyfriend and I are planning on buying when we move to Vermont!

Getting married and serving in one of those wonderful chain restaurants :thumbup:

Probably work a little (part time) at my old, old, old job Restaurant manager,
Will help finish up a manuscript to be published with my prof,
Will go to Italy to visit my nona and germany to visit my friend,
Spend as much time with my family and friends as I can.

Traveling to Eastern Europe to see relatives and friends and maybe see some new places in Europe if the finances allow, no work or school, done enough working in the past 5 yrs

i might take an internship at boston scientific in the sterilization department.

that or i might just teach a princeton review class, take out a loan to live on (i'll be taking out plenty in the next 4 years anyway) and drink some beer

Continuing my research job, and then hopefully going on vacation ... still narrowing down vaca choices :D

Im going to be livin' in Australia for a couple of months.

I'm going to backpack around Europe for 2-3 weeks, travel in Asia for another 2-3 weeks and start doing research at whichever med school I end up going to.

I want to relax and travel, but also try to get a little bit ahead.

sleeping. going to the beach. sleeping more. doing research in the nicu. sleeping a lot more.