what is everyone taking Spring 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladyscorpian14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking Microbiology ,genitics and english 2:D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking Chem 1. Wish I could take more but with my full time job, can't seem to fit much more in. :scared:

Hopefully I'll be able to take a full load next year or so when I can move to a different job.

Coming back from a 4 year break this Spring, so starting off a little light in finishing my Bachelor's. Organic I (repeat), Psy I, Ecology and a Paramedic Refresher course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking a break this sem, no heavy science.

Blacksmithing and tutoring chem!

Just finishing up with Org Chem Lab II. Hopefully the information will come back to me...been a year since I took the class.

O Chem II lab. I'm already done with UG and master's and have applied this cycle, but just need the lab to complete my prereqs.

Bio w/ lab 4units
Chem w/ lab 4units
History of China and Japan 3units
Eng - Exposition 3units

full time work...

I'm taking Microbiology ,genitics and english 2:D

I'm going with a light semester since I'm transitioning out of the military and moving 650 miles away.

I'm taking two history courses, which are prereqs for the history degree that I'm pursuing. Western Civ 1 and US History thru 1865. They are online by necessity.

Second semester of Physics
Calc.
Abnormal Psych.
Human Genetics (400/grad level class.)
And some research.;)

Biochemistry
Guitar
Spanish
Getting my fat ass back in shape 101

But I'm on trimesters so it's winter term...

Arizona State University
O Chem II
O Chem Lab II
Cell Biology
Health Promotion in The African American Community
Epidemiology
Microbial Genetics Lab

Northern Arizona University
Field Placement
Mind-Body Health

This is my last semester at both schools and I've recently started looking at post-bac masters programs. Has anyone heard anything, good or bad, about the online M.S. in Medical Sciences at the University of South Florida?

Bio II
Chem II
Microbiology
Physiology

Bio II and Chem II are repeats. I took them 12 years ago. Some of the schools I am looking at won't take anything over 10 years old... so hear I go again. I am taking them out of sequence, so I hope I remember enough to make it easy and enough to get through Micro and Physio.... YIKES!!

Good-luck everyone, I am so excited to get started!!!

Graduate classes:
Mol. Cell Bio. (3-sem/cr)
Proteomics (2-sem/cr) *

I'm almost debating on just taking only the one Mol. Cell. Bio. class and taking the rest of the time to study for my MCAT retake. The Proteomics course is just a means to add a couple more credits to my course load. I've taken nearly all of the bioscience courses (exluding the plant-type/ecosystem biology classes) I can at the local U. Unfortunately, I'm just afraid that the adcom's will see this as too light of a load so I'll probably end up keeping the Proteomics course. :mad:

* neverminde, I guess the local U just canceled the class due to low enrollment. :lame:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Cell Bio is rough (sort of like Biochem.) I can't blame you for taking it solo.

Microbiology and Human Anatomy I

Ugh, it's gonna be rough going back after graduating 4 years ago...plus working full time.

Microbiology and Human Anatomy I

Ugh, it's gonna be rough going back after graduating 4 years ago...plus working full time.

If your Microbiology class is going to be anything like the one I took, best of luck doing that with Human Anatomy. I'm guessing that you'll have four days of lab a week :)barf:), two for each class. I like your style though; just jump right in, your toes are bound to get wet anyways!

I'm taking

Organic Chemistry I
Calculus II
Human Anatomy
Medical Ethics
Health In Society

I'm super excited but its gonna be a crazy semester!:eek:

Almost doooooonnnnnnneeee....

Physics II/Lab
Biochem
MCAT prep

and I start clinical research tomorrow! :banana:

seems like I just started and now I'm only 5 months away from submitting my application. That went by way too fast.

If your Microbiology class is going to be anything like the one I took, best of luck doing that with Human Anatomy. I'm guessing that you'll have four days of lab a week :)barf:), two for each class. I like your style though; just jump right in, your toes are bound to get wet anyways!

Labs are only twice a week (thank god) - but my days are going to be 8:00am - 10:15pm Monday-Thursday.

Kill me now!

I'm taking:

Intro to Physical Sciences (four-week long course-ends in three weeks!)
Trig
Intro to General Chem lecture and lab

They are all online sections except the lab. That is on Saturday morning. I'm excited!

I took very little science when I did my original BA, so I have to take pre-reqs for the pre-reqs.

I'm taking Chem 1B and (hopefully) Calculus (trying to get the school to waive Pre-calc for me since I DESTROYED trig).

Hoping 2nd semester goes more smoothly than the first--gotta keep that 4.0!

orgo 'n english. And kaplan

Ugh... Out of all my prereq's, this was the worst. Way too much work researching, developing, dissecting a topic - not mention the revising, peer reviews, etc. This class tests your endurance for busy work and the ability to override your logical sense to work past the point of diminishing return. What a waste.

Well, mine is going to be rough

Senior Seminar (upper level bio class)
Histology
Histology Lab
Marine Biology
Neurobiology
Kaplan Course

Microbiology was mostly a waste of time, especially once we got to the taxonomy in the lecture. It was so much work. The lab was lots of fun though.

Microbiology was mostly a waste of time, especially once we got to the taxonomy in the lecture. It was so much work. The lab was lots of fun though.

Agreed, I think micro was a waste of time also. The class I took was way too disorganized and there was just too much stuff being thrown at us. Granted, I took it at a quarter system so the instructor still tried to get throught the entire book, but was all over the place. Unfortunately, I can't say that I had much of a better experience in the lab either. Out of all the science pre-req's, I'd say this was the hardest only because of the lack of structure in the the course.

Organismal Biology with Lab (4 units)
2nd Semester General Chemistry (3 units)
2nd Semester General Chemistry Lab (1 unit)
Nutritional Science (3 units)
Intro. to Psychology (3 units)
Intro. to Sociology (3 units)

17 units in total . . .

Last edited:
I am just finishing up Biology lab and English:laugh:

Immunology and Medical Microbio

Gen Chem II + lab
Cell Biology + lab (Torture)
Genetics + lab (I hate fruit flies already.)

good for you, nontradfogie! you deserve a breather. have you decided where you'll be matriculating yet?

I have really wanted to thank you for the guidance you offered me several months ago and have silently pulled for you throughout this app cycle. I'm glad you did so well.

anyway, I've heeded your advice and am volunteering, in a soup kitchen and a hospice, and taking a post bacc. I'm taking gen chem 1 and precalculus this semester and, unfortunately, the rather extensive hospice training took place during the first 2 weeks of class so I'm already behind. No irreparable damage or anything, but definitely not the start I wanted to have. It just makes me nervous because I have to do really, really well in all of my classes in order to make this bird fly. Also, the relationship I'm in has already come scarily close to imploding as a consequence of my insane schedule (I work full time too).

I am so excited to do the hospice service -- I can't wait to start working with patients. It's really going to be incredible, I think.

back to the books now...

Bio w/ lab 4units
Chem w/ lab 4units
History of China and Japan 3units
Eng - Exposition 3units

full time work...

HOLY CRAP!! :eek: The most I ever attempted with full-time work was 9 credits (and it went really badly) . . . I hope your job is low-stress and allows you to get some homework done. :luck: - I hope it all goes well for you.

seems like I just started and now I'm only 5 months away from submitting my application. That went by way too fast.

So true! The pre-reqs go by much quicker than you think they're going to. Good luck with the MCAT and your app cycle! And enjoy the clinical research - sounds like fun!

Agreed, I think micro was a waste of time also. The class I took was way too disorganized and there was just too much stuff being thrown at us. Granted, I took it at a quarter system so the instructor still tried to get throught the entire book, but was all over the place. Unfortunately, I can't say that I had much of a better experience in the lab either. Out of all the science pre-req's, I'd say this was the hardest only because of the lack of structure in the the course.

Aw, that stinks! Micro was by far my favorite science class thus far (although anatomy was fun as well). I'm not sure I particularly enjoyed the lab portion (mostly because I felt ridiculously behind most of the time - took it in the summer w/lab only 1x/wk), but it was totally gratifying to get some of those techniques down and to correctly identify my very tricky unknown bacteria. :D (Yes, I am SUCH a dork!) Anyway, sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

a breather.

Sweet. :thumbup: I'm kinda wishing I had as well (taking molecular biology . . . which is fairly boring thus far), but I am not in yet, and I figured I couldn't quite enjoy a semester off yet . . . just in case I need this class/grade. I'm hoping I can take the summer off, though. :xf:

Inorganic Chem II
PreCalc
1 full time job
2 side jobs
non-profit duties
MCAT studies
Its too bad I cant take "Social Life 101" for 3 credits!:D

good for you, nontradfogie! you deserve a breather. have you decided where you'll be matriculating yet?

I have really wanted to thank you for the guidance you offered me several months ago and have silently pulled for you throughout this app cycle. I'm glad you did so well.

anyway, I've heeded your advice and am volunteering, in a soup kitchen and a hospice, and taking a post bacc. I'm taking gen chem 1 and precalculus this semester and, unfortunately, the rather extensive hospice training took place during the first 2 weeks of class so I'm already behind. No irreparable damage or anything, but definitely not the start I wanted to have. It just makes me nervous because I have to do really, really well in all of my classes in order to make this bird fly. Also, the relationship I'm in has already come scarily close to imploding as a consequence of my insane schedule (I work full time too).

I am so excited to do the hospice service -- I can't wait to start working with patients. It's really going to be incredible, I think.

back to the books now...

I'm glad things are chugging along for you and the hospice gig sounds like a great experience. Just make sure your classes remain your priority. A's only *wink*. I'm rooting for you.

And so far it looks like Cincinnati for me.

Wow, I didn't realize how outdated (now) that my old classes were. So here's the story, late January I found out that I was probably going to be traveling for work so I decided to change my courses to all online classes. This proved to be quite a frustrating experience initially because I couldn't get added from the waitlist to some classes. Well, thanks to my Cell Bio prof I'm now enrolled in these courses: Psych I (yuck), History of Immigration, and Cell Biology (need more online Bio classes in my opinion, lol). Oh and I am traveling for work, lol, just not what I expected at first. I am heading for Iraq next month to be a Civilian Paramedic for a year. Let's just say it's going to be interesting this semester. :cool: